Dead pregnant woman forced to stay on life support, due to TX State law

by adamah 285 Replies latest social current

• adamah
    adamah

FHN said- I got the point that this has nothing to do with abortion from the time I heard about it. That's why when people act like this is a religious issue, it just doesn't make sense.

The Munoz situation arose as an unanticipated consequence of an anti-choice law which was passed to support the anti-abortion agenda (and backed by a coalition of Xians groups). I dunno if you were following the news in TX last June, but Senator Wendy Davis (D-Fort Worth) temporarily derailed the current law’s progress with a filibuster in June, 2013.

You ever been to TX, FHN? (I was born in Dallas, and spent many years there when stationed in the military.)

FHN said- I was thinking about something today. It would make more sense to me for an atheist to want to protect the sanctity of the life of the unborn, than a theist. If you believe this is your only chance at life, no heaven, not reincarnation, no after life of any kind, then it becomes a much bigger loss if your mother chooses to end her pregnancy and your only chance to live outside her womb. For those of us who don't believe that this is your only life. For those of us who don't believe an unborn loses any chance to live outside, if the pregnancy ends, it's not a finite issue.

Interesting thought....

Of course, atheism is a single-position statement, saying only about one's non-belief in God(s); it says nothing about issues like abortion, but most atheists tend to be rational types, and more-easily grasp the ethical issues at play rather than allowing emotions control their thinking.

You bring up a good point since from the Xian standpoint, the evil mother who aborts the fetus is actually demonstrating the greatest-possible act of love for it, since the mother is sacrificing her eternal soul and committing herself to Hell (that is, if she doesn't accept Jesus before her death), but ensuring the child's eternal soul going straight to Heaven, since it bypasses all the pain and suffering of life on Earth and not having to face the risk of committing some sin for which it doesn't repent before death (say by, becoming an atheist! <gasp!>)?

Adam

• Violia
    Violia

I guess the football games are over b/c I see Adam is back on patrol.

• adamah
    adamah

Thanks for all the bumps in my absense, keeping it near the top!

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Yeah, Adam, I a theist, but I dont believe in original sin or that the Bible and Jesus areit or else. For me, Im not looking at this as black.and.white, this Texas thing. I wouldnt. want.to.be.inthe.shoes.of.either side.. Posting with phone, sorry for typos.

• valkyrie
    valkyrie

Regarding the wide-reaching reputation of the State of Texas:

In this country, there is a commonly used saying - after hearing of some entirely crazy, wild, too-unbelievable-to-be-true situation, event, or act... "That is so Texas!"

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

You ever been to TX, FHN? (I was born in Dallas, and spent many years there when stationed in the military.)

Let's see, have I been to Texas? Well, yes, Adam, I have. I've been there and lived there. Houston, where I gave birth to a daughter. Andrews, way out west in the oil country, where I spent the first part of my second marriage. Pampa, where my kids and I spent a good part of the summer with my sister and her husband, way up, north of Amarillo. Been all over the state, east to west and north to south, including down to Ft. Davis and on to Big Bend for vacations. The last time I made it into Texas, it was 2011.

By the way, I know some pretty cool people from Texas. They aren't all meathead cowboys. They find the mhcb's and g's kind of bewildering at times. Texas, the only place I've lived where a horse can drop dead in your front yard and the city tell you that even though it's not your horse, you gotta get the thing disposed of because it died just outside of the city right of way.

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

In this country, there is a commonly used saying - after hearing of some entirely crazy, wild, too-unbelievable-to-be-true situation, event, or act... "That is so Texas!"

For sheer crazy, Texas has only one close contender - your move, Florida.

• Viviane
  • FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Mostly, I don't think, "That is so Texas." I usually think, that is so inside the box or smacks of extreme fundamentlist thinking.

I was watching a show about William McCoy, the famed bootlegger of prohibition. I never knew that at the time Americans consumed 8 times the alcohol that they do today. It was such a problem that husbands were staying drunk all of the time and women staying drunk and society was falling apart. Makes me think a lot of the drug issues America faces today. So the temperance movement had many groups behind it, including one of society's minorities which was made up of fundamentalists, trying to stop the drunkeness. I didn't realize that the drinking issues were so bad at the time. I guess I figured it only had a religious basis to it: prohibition. Of course prohibition created extreme problems that were pretty bad in and of themselves, like organized crime becoming so powerful. One good side effect was that people do not drink so much now. The bad thing is that drugs were made illegal and they took over where the extreme drinking left off.

My reason for bringing up the documentary about prohibition is this: they pointed out that it was a minority of society, a tail who wagged the dog. The wishes of a small percent, getting their way to manhandle the majority into making the changes they wanted. It isn't different today. America is not made up of a majority of funadamentalists. But they understood in the times of America's widespread drunkeness, they could wield political power and they haven't forgotten that lesson. If you look at a presidential election map, most big cities and the counties around them vote democrat. That is where the majority of Americans live, either in the cities or areas right around them. The rural counties tend to vote GOP. Gerrymandering of congressional districts has given the GOP too much power in the house of reps. This is true big time in Texas. It's not a moral majority. It's a moral minority who is very sligh and never gives up in the pursuit of getting what they want.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/tag/texas-gerrymandering

• sooner7nc
    sooner7nc

For sheer crazy, Texas has only one close contender - your move, Florida.

Florida and Texas put together and squared would still live in the shadow of weird and twisted that is thrown daily by the state of California.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit