After years of Watchtower fighting the BAN in Russia.....

by Newly Enlightened 36 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

There was a wt printed in the 50's that talked about dissenters and apostates and alluded to the fact that if the local laws did not permit it they would have liked to kill these apostates. So even though freedom of speech is very important we must always consider who wants it and for what reason. The JW's scare me!!!

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

Good news, but since when did Russia have any kind of normal record on human rights? Putin threw young mothers from a girl band called Pussy Riot into prison FFS.

• Frazzled UBM
    Frazzled UBM

The Russions know a thing or two about propaganda so I think it gives their ruling more credibility. 'It takes one to know one'.

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

This is part of a larger crackdown on any religion other than the Russian Orthodox, the official religion of Russia.

It is not a good sign for the average person in Russia.

Putin is a thug, through and through.

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

Crazy Guy, here's your quote:

w52 11/15 p. 703 Questions From Readers

"We are not living today among theocratic nations where such members of our fleshly family relationship could be exterminated for apostasy from God and his theocratic organization, as was possible and was ordered in the nation of Israel in the wilderness of Sinai and in the land of Palestine. "Thou shalt surely kill him; thy hand shall be first upon him to put him to death, and afterwards the hand of all the people. And thou shalt stone him to death with stones, because he hath sought to draw thee away from Jehovah thy God, . . . And all Israel shall hear, and fear, and shall do no more any such wickedness as this is in the midst of thee." — Deut. 13:6-11, AS.

Being limited by the laws of the worldly nation in which we live and also by the laws of God through Jesus Christ, we can take action against apostates only to a certain extent, that is, consistent with both sets of laws. The law of the land and God’s law through Christ forbid us to kill apostates, even though they be members of our own flesh-and-blood family relationship."

----

No doubt the Russian govt. is aware of this quote and has placed it in context with more recent WT rhetoric.

• DogGone
    DogGone

AndDon'tCallMeShirley,

That is a shocking Watchtower quote - thank-you for sharing. Come to think of it, one Elder did tell me that my disfellowshipping was loving because in the old days I would have been stoned. I forgot the favourite part of my story, my best mate who had pretty much faded was disfellowshipped for attending a food and wine function with me. I wouldn't have thought they would actually followed through on the threat to DF you for socializing with DF'd people... until they did.

I agree that if the law allowed the Watchtower religion would be even more oppressive. There are national theocracies in action we can use as case studies. Bad people do bad things - but it takes religion/ideology to make good people do evil.

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

DG: one Elder did tell me that my disfellowshipping was loving because in the old days I would have been stoned.

---

Can you feel the love?

I agree that if the law allowed the Watchtower religion would be even more oppressive

It is interesting how WT claims to be the epitome of love...yet it's Satan's "wicked" world that generally has a more solid grasp on true tolerance and justice- a "live and let live" approach that fits better with humanity.

• Honesty
    Honesty

Oh yes, the Watchtower...

A kinder, gentler way of oppressing people.

Just wait until the JW's new system gets here.

Any person who wants freedom apart from the Watchtower will be stoned to death.

• wasblind
    wasblind

" Can you be so blinded by the hatred of the leaders of our former religion that you applaude the snuffing out of freedoms long wanted , scarcely granted, and quickly snatched " _______DogGone

I wasblind, but not any more

You say you were counseled , been through judicial commitees , publicly reproved

disfellowshipped and shunned. You forgot Hung out to dry in your list

The WTS fights for their freedom of expression while they took away your rights

through the actions they took against you

Don't know the reasons why

unless it was for disorderly conduct, such as excercisin' the freedom to

join a secular charity that help folks or freely questionin' the wrongs they have taught

Freedom of expression is not allowed in this religion

" a person might renounce his place in the Christion congregation by his actions , such as by becoming part of a secular organization "___Organized to do Jehovah's Will Book page 155

They are a society that holds a forked tongue within their mouths

They also seem to disagree in the admirable stance you took on thier behalf

when you said " One of the admirable things Jehovah's Witnesses have done is to test the limits of freedom "

" Legal action they take is not because they are social agitators or legal reformers "_____Proclaimers book page 678

LOL. They clearly " Agitated " the Russian Gov'nt

It's a good thing you retracted the word "admirable "

Becuase this religion has a way of makin' a damn fool outta folks

As for retractions. I may have to change the name of my avatar

cuz I still can't see why anyone in thier " Right Mind "

Would defend this farce of a religion

• SuperBoy
    SuperBoy

Russia isn't exactly the land of the free, whether I like JW literature of not, the current situation in Russia for anyone who is "different" is not good.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit