Do You Consider Yourself An "Apostate"?

by minimus 56 Replies latest jw friends

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I am not an Apostate from the Jehovah's Witness religion of today, I simply cannot be, because I was never a member, never part of what the Jehovah's Witness religion has become.

And yet, I only left what the religion was a few short years ago.

That is how quickly it Morphs.

I don't like the definition given above for "apostate" from Dictionary .com, "forsook" has the air of someone who has abandoned something he should have stuck to. So do many definitions, hence the word is not really appropriate at all for those of us who know TTATT.

We have not left something worthwhile, something that has any merit at all, we have left a Business Posing as a Religion, and one that uses evil methods to recruit and retain members.

We are HEROES !!!!

Embrace our perceived Apostasy yes, but we need another label for ourselves that reflects the position of integrity that we hold, we have the Moral Highground here.

Ex JW is not good enough either, you could have left for any reason, and it does not underline that the JW religion is wrong.

We need a label that identifies us for what we truly are. The word Enlightened would not go amiss in there.

• Twitch
    Twitch

I never considered myself apostate, even though by definition I am precisely that for leaving the witness life and belief.

It's their word they wield as a weapon against the membership to isolate, intimidate and eradicate ideas and people who dissent.

I understand the desire to turn it around into something that isn't what they say it is and to have something to identify with.

This is still using their word, and they can keep it IMO

So many other labels to identify with ;)

• nicolaou
    nicolaou
    Bumped for Oubliette . .
  • Oubliette
    Oubliette

Thanks nicolaou!

I was recently asked by two forum members why I refuse to be called an "apostate." Here are my reasons:

"Apostate" is a label the WTBTS leaders use to demonize those that dare question their authority, their teachings and anything else about them.

It's the religious equivalent of the Hegelian concept of: "other."

It's a slanderous, pejorative term.

Why would anyone want to give another person that power over them? Why use the WT's derogatory term in reference to one self?

Besides, if you want to get technical, according to the WT's own definition of the word, the current GB members are all apostates for "falling away from the faith" that was delivered to them. Who the hell do they think they are to change one iota of JW/WT doctrine or "theology"?

No, I am not an apostate. I am a human being. I am a secular humanist. I am a father, a husband, a neighbor, a friend. I am an educator. I am a man.

• nicolaou
    nicolaou
    Like it or not you are also an Apostate. You are.
  • nicolaou
    nicolaou

I say that with lots of man love

• Saintbertholdt
    Saintbertholdt

Yeah I'm an apostate.

I'm also a Sagittarius,

Have I won something?

An Apple watch perhaps? hint hint, nudge nudge.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit