Do You Consider Yourself An "Apostate"?

by minimus 56 Replies latest jw friends

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

" People can sometimes be prejudice when they don't fully understand the label "apostate" I know I was, I was scared of the word, so I don't want to scare my loved ones." A very fair point which I'd never trivialise. What we need to do is take back ownership of that word and show them how human and ordinary apostates really are. Nic' - posting with love

• minimus
    minimus

I never deviated from truth. THEY DID.

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

So are you saying Min that at some point in your JW life, your baptism perhaps, the Watchtower really had The Truth? Really?

• LucidChimp
    LucidChimp

minimus: you are using (it sounds like) their definition of "apostate". Don't let them have it.

I think sticking to the dictionary is best. Prophet, spirit directed, abstain, generation and I'm sure I could think of more examples if I wasn't drunk... The dictionary is a problem for them.

• minimus
    minimus

They NEVER had the truth, therefore they can't rightfully call me an "apostate".

• LucidChimp
    LucidChimp

They can.

An apostate is not someone who abandons "truth". Just leaves a religion, however false.

• LucidChimp
    LucidChimp

Though I'll shush as I'd rather hear how people identify than argue definitions.

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

So would that mean that nobody can apostasize from Islam or Mormonism because they don't have the truth? C'mon Min...

• minimus
    minimus

Point taken. I'm an apostate.

• KateWild
    KateWild

What we need to do is take back ownership of that word - nic

I agree, like many words like "the truth" means the organisation or the WTBTS, and "God" means the GB/ FDS. You are spot on Nic, we do need to take back ownership of the dictionary definition of the word apostate. So in certain circumstances we need to go slowly and really ask ones first to define what they mean by "apostate"

Kate xx

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit