Paleo Diet. What do you think?

by DATA-DOG 42 Replies latest social physical

• SuperBoy
    SuperBoy

How about a manna diet?

The Paleo diet is common sense, indeed. But as the post below points out, it's based on evolution. What did Adam and Eve eat?
    Forbidden fruit.

THE ADAM AND EVE Forbidden Fruit DIET
    Breakfast:
    Chocolate, cider, oral sex.

Lunch:
    Sponge cake, clotted cream, scones and pork scratchings, Beer, cunnilingus.

Mid Afternoon Snack:
    Mars Bar, Twix, Kit Kat, some fornicating.

Dinner:
    Foie gras, shepherds pie on hot buttered toast, Champagne. Sodomy.

Don't worry, I haven't discovered time travel, I only have one post left today so am editing this one!

• mynameislame
    mynameislame

Would it be wrong for a dub to use this diet since it is based on evolutionary theory?

I do think there might be something to not eating carbs and especially wheat. I did a low carb diet last year and honestly I hadn't felt that good in years. I downloaded Wheat belly from my library and found it an interesting book, not sure i'd pay more than a couple bucks to own it though. The writer goes over all the reasons wheat is bad for you and really unnecessary in our diets. It is one of the most manipulated “natural” foods in our supermarkets.

For me bread is addictive and makes me hungry no matter how much I eat.

One of the arguments against this type of diet is that it is hard to stick to but that has a lot to do with garbage foods being pushed down your throat (almost literally) everywhere in the media.

While i’m no my rant against wheat, I find it odd that the US government recommends so many grains as part of a balanced diet. It's the only processed food on the food pyramid. I think we are using a "plate chart" now but wheat is still recommended as a big portion of each meal.

• budbayview
    budbayview

It has flaws in the supporting medical science references and is promoting an ingredient (coconut oil). Coconut “anything” is marketing hype, there are other oils and fats that have just as good lipid profiles.

Their argument against legumes is week, and again nothing conclusive in any medical studies that back up that claim.

They are misguided, the major problem with wheat today is GMO. It is not the same strains our ancestors ate. My family grew up on pasta (Italian) never heard of gluten intolerance or celiac disease until recently. Additionally, all the food additives that are used to process foods are very harmful.

For example, I was looking into rennet’s for cheese making and found out something interesting concerning genetic modified (GM) processes and cheese making. Rennet is a complex of enzymes found in all mammals. It is a key component in coagulating milk (curds and whey). It is processed form young calf’s (yes another unsettling use for these animals), and we won’t go into the how that works. Needless to say, animal rennet is somewhat constrained. There are vegetable alternatives, microbial rennet, and here it is, fermentation-produced chymosin (FPC). FPC sounds innocuous enough, but they use rennet-producing genes from an animal stomach and infuse them into bacteria, fungi or yeasts to make them produce chymosin (the key enzyme) during the fermentation process. The GM hosts (i.e., bacteria, fungi, and yeast) are then eliminated and the chymosin extracted off. Since there is no GM hosts remaining in the actual product, (i.e., chymosin) it is not labeled GM.

So here again is another example of science and technology in the food chain. In of itself these ideas are not necessarily nefarious, however what is the risk to our systems? So in the natural order, our design and functional maintenance was predicated on being much closer to our food sources. In that model, we would have a goat, a sheep, grow our produce, hunt for protein and gather what we find. Having cheese would require sacrificing an animal or figuring out which plants have coagulating properties and extracting that for your source of coagulating the milk.

• doofdaddy
    doofdaddy

"coconut is marketing hype"

Medium Chain Fatty Acids (Wiki article).

Yes budbayview you can always drink horse milk to get the results of coconut milk/products......

Have you actually tried or know someone who is actually using cocnut products? Look at the South Pacific nations before whte settltement. Tall powerful and not a gram of fat.

• budbayview
    budbayview

Sorry to disagree with you, but I was in the nutraceutical business and understand how the ingredient industry maneuvers and a bit about fatty acids. These types of ingredients are marketed for profit not for your good health. I do not discount the usefulness of coconuts or their constituent products (in the raw), but you should be looking at the complete product assay, along with the full lipid profiles to determine its effectiveness and how it stacks up with other comparative ingredients. As I mentioned, there are other oils just as lipid healthy as coconut oil and in some applications better.

Subsequently, here is another example of taking a good raw ingredient and manipulate its form through processing. Just like soy. Soy used as a condiment, in its natural state is fine and has health benefits. The industry, used the Asians as an example of how beneficial soy is and started processing it and putting it in everything. Soy milk, soy protein, soy meat analogs, etc. And when the gynecomastia (man-boobs) started growing, because of processed soy increasing estragon levels, it garnered full attention then. So who do you think is the number one consuming county of soy products? I will give you a hint, it is not Asia. So while the Paleo Zealots will opt for products made with coconut flour, they are misrepresenting the intent by a constraint to eat coconuts, but do not realize how this changes the assay of the ingredient and subsequent mechanisms of action on the body.

As far the inclusion of the western diets in other cultures and the subsequent detrimental affects, I agree. However it has less to do with coconuts and more do with refined products and processing. Take a look at Gary Taubes book, “Why We Get Fat” for a good deep dive into the western diet. He makes a good argument, with documented references about this.

• doofdaddy
    doofdaddy

Thank you for your polite response but...

I honestly don't know what you are talking about (and it appears nor do you)! Paleo is against processed coconut oil as it is a trans fat. You don't seem to understand the basic subject matter. Paleo is about eating UNREFINED foods. You talk of coconut flour?

"but do not realize how this changes the assay of the ingredient and subsequent mechanisms of action on the body."

Is there such a product? Due to coconut's high oil content that is unlikely unless it is extremely refined, you understand?

Then you talk of soy beans. Paleo is against soy products! Please do some homework before making such foolish statements as it only embarrasses you.

As far as that last statement, I am still trying to see your point. South Pacific nations lived off coconuts, fish and taro (with the odd pig and human!). Heart disease and diabetes came with the Western diet and lifestyle.

• whathappened
    whathappened

Coconut oil that is unrefined and raw is a health food. It has lauric acid in it. The only other thing that contains as much lauric acid is breast milk.

It goes straight to the liver because it is a medium chained fatty acid. It is not stored as fat. It is anti viral and anti bacterial. Try it.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

Where do you get raw coconut oil?

• doofdaddy
    doofdaddy

I'm in Australia so have different outlets. Main stream shopping stores here are now selling coconut oil and have just started selling whole baby coconuts (and yes cheap). They have been selling coconut cream and milk for years in the Asian food section. Health shops have grated coconut etc. The advantage of the main stream outlets is the price, under a dollar for a can of milk/cream.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I have been using organic extra virgin cold pressed coconut oil by Nutiva. I was just wondering if that is the right kind, it doesn't say raw.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit