Reading Captives of a Concept: Interesting what i read in CH3

by DS211 12 Replies latest watchtower bible

• DS211
    DS211

48 Teachings Jesus Examined

Surely Jesus would have noticed what they had been teaching about his Second Coming, or “invisible presence” as they prefer to call it. – Matthew 24:3 37

Today they teach that he returned to begin his Second Coming in 1914. But the Proclaimers book explains that this was not what they were teaching before, during and for many years after Jesus' “inspection” in 1918-1919. On pages 46 and 47 it explains that in 1876...

Page 133 mentions this again along with a footnote ex- plaining that “a clearer understanding of Biblical chronol- ogy” [pointing to 1914] was published in 1943 . 38 Even if Witnesses are able to notice what this footnote is saying, they are unable to get the sense of what it means.

What It Means 1. The first thing it means is that the Society didn’t meet

any of their own standards relative to their teaching about the Second Coming of Christ. Their 1874 date was never (1) the right teaching, or (2) the right time to

be teaching it. (3) It had not been what God reveals in his Word, and (4) had been based on human wisdom. Therefore it should have been rejected when Russell first heard about it from Nelson Barbour in 1876.

2. It also means that if Jesus did return in 1914, neither President Russell nor President Rutherford ever knew it. 39 It is possible that there is not a single Jehovah’s Witness who realizes this. What are the chances that God would select such prominent men for his sole “channel of communication” but then never communi- cate to them when His Son had returned?

3. It isn’t just that they didn’t know that Jesus’ Second Coming began in 1914. They both insisted that they knew that he returned in 1874. What are the chances that God would allow his earthly channel to misinform the whole world about his Son’s return for almost seven decades (1876-1943)?

4. The title of The Watchtower magazine included the words “Herald of Christ’s Presence”...

Christ’s Second Coming In 1874

Yes

No

1. Right Teaching

X

2. Right Time to be teaching it

X

3. Teaching that God revealed in his Word

X

4. Rejected because of human wisdom

X

Even if Witnesses are able to notice what their “Proclaimers” book says, they do not notice what it means.

[Second Adventist Nelson Barbour] succeeded in con- vincing Charles Taze Russell that Christ’s invisible presence [Second Coming] had begun in 1874 .

Catch that? they already thought his presence had occured....woops.

• DS211
    DS211

And the. This:

5. Since they believed that Jesus had returned in 1874 it means that they were not watching for his return in 1914. And yet in Luke’s parallel account (12:37) Jesus said that they would be “happy” only if ‘on arriving (he) found them watching for his return.’ But he would not have found them watching in 1914 because they be- lieved he had already arrived forty years earlier.

6. Luke 12:36 says, “At (Jesus) arriving and knocking they may at once open to him.” But if he arrived and began knocking in 1914 but they didn’t acknowledge his arri- val until 1943, it means that he would have had to knock for twenty-nine years before they opened to him.

7. Since in 1914 they were the only religion that believed that Jesus had already returned, it means that they were the only Christian religion that was not watching or waiting for his return in 1914. And yet Jehovah’s Wit- nesses have been led to believe that they were the only religion that was watching for his return in that year. 40

thank you Cof a concept

• pronomono
    pronomono

I just started that chapter Friday. I'm thoroughly enjoying it.

• scary21
    scary21

Good points . The only thing is, I think they would say they WERE watching for his return......The third return....lol You know..he came to earth, then he came in 1914, then he comes again for the big A. So does that mean they believe in the third coming of Christ ? I am confused ! Most people believe in the second coming of Christ.. ( believers that is ) . Do they even know what they are saying ? JW's are so funny but so sad !

Sherry

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

According to current "noolite," Jesus "comes" up to six different times depending on what context the witchtower is talking about.

• losingit
    losingit

Thank you for sharing this. It reminds me that I have to.get my hands on that book. The lies from the WTBTS continue to be devastating to me.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

A great part of what Franz realized is that the WTS. could not have been chosen by God to dispense

vital information toward mankind because the WTS"s doctrines were not true and had little scriptural support,

the various dates concocted by the WTS. and commercially presented to the public concerning the return of

Christ was evidence of that to him.

• DS211
    DS211

You can download the ebook on any device for 7 bucks on the captives of a concept website.

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

The teaching of Christ's return naturally seperates (fractionalizes) itself into 4 basic concepts over time. While a JW cannot accept the WHOLE teaching (for fear of being DF'ed) they can accept FRACTIONS of this teachings (if their conscience allows.)

Just saying!

eyeuse2badub

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

In short what Franz concluded was that the WTS. was indeed a fictitious commercialized fraud

exploiting general publics basic belief and of their own ignorance in the bible to proliferate the organization's

published goods ...... he was right.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit