Some vs Many

by Londo111 23 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Londo111
    Londo111

To be sure, 99% of JWs are sincere victims. The fault is with the Watchtower whose sincerity is becoming increasingly difficult to believe.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

The words "Some and Many" have often been used in ways that are not keeping with the way words are commonly understood in our English language.

As has been commented on above, we have read when a date or situation passed and nothing happened, that the comment is that "At the time, many believed that .... ". It mistakenly infers that there were varying beliefs at that time. Which begs the question, what did the others believe? If you were in the Borg in 1975, trust me, if you voiced that you didn't believe that the end was right there, then you were on the outside looking in.

Within the organization, there has rarely been any wiggle room for the R&F as far as doctrine is concerned.

Of course "many believed at the time" is technically correct. But, if you didn't believe it, you were no longer a good Dub.

Saying that "many believed at the time" makes about as much sense as the WT today saying that "many JW's believe that there is no Trinity or Hellfire."

Rub a Dub

• pixel
    pixel

Excellent observation on the someness and manyness of the WT/GB/FDS.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Londo: The fault is with the Watchtower whose sincerity is becoming increasingly difficult to believe.

I have come to believe that the WT leadership deliberately and knowingly manipulates their followers. To my mind, the strongest evidence for this is the ubiquitous pattern of manipulative, loaded language as the example in Londo's OP pointed out. This is prima facie evidence of their moral culpability.

There is an interesting series of three articles in the Awake! of June 2000 on the subject of propaganda. The articles clearly define what propaganda is, what it is not and gives notable examples. They are very informative and I highly recommend reading them.

• Education shows you how to think. Propaganda tells you what to think. - Awake! June 2000, p. 9

Then examine ANY WT publication specifically looking for the telltale signs of propaganda as discussed in the Awake! articles. You'll find every issue brimming with examples, especially the so-called "Study" articles. Then ask yourself,

• What does this suggest about the writers of these articles?
    • Why do they use techniques of propaganda on their own followers?

Listen, Obey and Be Blessed! - It's a cult!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit