Some vs Many

by Londo111 23 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Londo111
    Londo111

It is interesting how the Watchtower uses these two words. For instance, the word ‘some’ is often used to minimize, and ‘many’ used to maximize. And yet, it is so unspecific that ‘some’ might be a greater quantity than ‘many’, yet the mind doesn’t process these words this way.

For instance, if it is a failed prediction or a changed teaching, they might say, ‘Some believed…’ When it fact some means most or all, because this was “food at the proper time” coming from “God’s Channel” through the Watchtower. Belief in what the Watchtower is saying isn’t optional.

On the other hand, ‘many’ are simplifying their lives to pioneer, or ‘many’ are doing or giving more, more, more in some way, shape, or form. In reality, ‘many’ is not that many, when compared to the majority of JWs, but rather only ‘some’.

Perhaps the Watchtower should switch ‘some’ for ‘many’ and ‘many’ for ‘some’.

• Laika
    Laika

Wow, that is interesting, I had never noticed that before.

• 2+2=5
    2+2=5

Watchtower speak. It is so insidious and manipulative.

• tec
    tec

Good points!

Good thing to keep a watch out for also.

Peace,

tammy

• Shador
    Shador

WT loves those ambiguous words.

• nugget
    nugget

Just hate their constant abuse of the English language. Do they ever feel any shame or are they so convinced of their own infalibility that they get so tied up with the semantics that they stop feeling any real connection with the words they vomit onto the paper.

• galaxie
    galaxie

watchtower speaks with many forked tongues, eh some forked tongues aww shit lets cut to the chase its all BS why waste your time and energy trying to decipher it

• 88JM
    88JM

The WTBTS is not the only organization guilty of this. The BBC Radio 4 programme "More or Less" is an excellent discussion on the statistics behind headlines and news stories which use such subjective language.

• losingit
    losingit

Thank you for this! Some ... Many... those words would drive me crazy!! Well how many? Who are they? How do they know it was some / many? It used to PISS ME OFF! And to think, ppl swallowed this garbage without questioning

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Londo, nice!!! I can see it now..20 years later, streamed to the homes of all JWs via Watch-Net. Brother Sanderson and Anthony Morris III's cybernetic brain just gave a rivoting symposium on the dangers of masturbation. The Ol' Gerrit appears on the screen, Max Hedroom style. He announces, " SOME used to believe that there was an FDS "class." SOME used to believe that the GB/FDS were appointed over Christ's belongings in the early part of the 20th C--c-c-centur-r-r-r-yyyy. S-s-s-ome b-believed that Chrisssst took K-Kingdom power in Ni-Ni-Ni...1914."

DD

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit