Could really use some help regarding legal letter to avoid DF

by Comatose 42 Replies latest jw friends

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I M H O , a letter such as this would only cause much mirth and laughter on the B O E , before they simply announce that you are "No longer one of J W's" . Call it brazen conduct, call it whatever they like.

Unless they know you are a millionare willing to sink a fortune into a hopeless legal case - they know that is a bluff . (in the U K anyway)

Better to use "theocratic strategy " and fight within their own system, insisting on witnesses or ducking and diving and being vague . If they really want you out , the dice is loaded in their favour

• Gypsy Sam
    Gypsy Sam

Marked.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

There is no way you can enforce the stated stipulations on the WT elders. If you had the backing to enforce these stipulations, there would be no problem with the Witnesses.

• Simon
    Simon

I think the purpose is the scare / shake the elders and make them feel some hessitation because of their own possible legal liability in the process. If they check with the WTS the WTS are unlikely to guarantee their immunity so to speak because they just don't do that - they want to keep the congregation matters at arms length just in case.

So yes, while they may have no real legal teeth they probably do have an effect even though it cannot be guaranteed - it depends on how savvy the local BOE's is.

Ultimately, nothing anyone can say or do can prevent them being disfellowshipped of them announcing your disassociation. It comes down to how much time and emotional energy you want to expend trying to prevent it.

While it seems super important at the time, years later you may wonder why you even bothered with it.

• Comatose
    Comatose

I see your points, but I have some money to have this drafted by a lawyer I have hired. Arriving registered mail from a lawyer who is rewriting the letter may do something. It may not. But, I'd rather know I tried and did everything I could before I lose my family.

I added to the letter my personal details and removed some of the points that were not appropriate. Seeing a law firm has sent this letter to each of them will mean an automatic call head quarters. It is my hope that they then put the matter in my file and give a marking talk or similar.

I don't have high hopes, but ten years from now it would be too late to try. So I'm trying. More to come on this story when I have it.

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

Nice job Comatose. Its playing poker with them. They may back down, they may not.

But by putting each elder's ass on the line that they may have to waste more time and money you can bully them into leaving you alone in many cases.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

By writing the letter or hiring a lawyer to write a letter, you are unleashing the power to disfellowship. Asserting your own position against the WT elders is brazen conduct from the Witness point of view. It is stirring up a nest of hornets. They will call WT Legal and know precisely what the WT rights are. It is possible to have all of WT doctrines without JCs and shunning. They know people would leave without this emotional blackmail.

So you are probably guaranteeing the very conduct that you wish to avoid by sending such a letter. It is your personal decision. Sometimes I am glad that I defend or represent corporate clients. The work is not so personal. They tend to think alike. I personally have strong feelings about a lawyer who would send such letters.

Going legal usually explodes, esp. when one party is wealthy and well-represented and the other has few resources. The biggest cry babies are lawyers with their own personal lawsuits. Every case has different circumstances. Knowing how the local BOEs usually act is very valuable information that sheds light on what to do.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

If you feel that this is the best shot you have, to get the result you want, then go for it.

The Naysayers may have legal points on their side, but I do know of a case where a guy sent a similar letter, and the B.O E in his Congo. backed off, and just said "Oh, he has gone Legal" when asked about it.

I don't know if in later years they took action, they may have done, because I know he "sinned" again, and was confident they couldn't prove it, but maybe they did the second time.

Still worth a go if you think nothing else will work.

• Comatose
    Comatose

Well Band after sitting in on the first part of the judicial meeting they had with me, it is very evident I will be DF. It's a foregone conclusion. This letter can't hurt me in any way. I will be DFd without it. If there is a fraction of a chance the letter stops the proceedings and puts them in abeyance then I'll take the tiny chance. It's all I've got.

I have lost already, as I was brutally honest in the meeting for some reasons I can't discuss Yet. Their easy and only decision is to DF me. But, they asked to meet another time a week later. It gave me time to think and I decided to try this. We will see. It is a very long shot and likely to fail as you say. But, I always try. I don't give up easy. We will see.

I think I Have ADD. My brain never turns off. Wondering what would have happened as I missed out on siblings weddings and family gatherings would have messed me up. So, I needed to try.

Im looking forward to telling this story when it is over. You won't believe some of the things that have happened. You really won't. One small tidbit, I was advised by the three elders to "fake it, it's what I would do. I think your crazy that you don't just fake it". I was then read a scripture to back that up. The scripture said we are blessed when do something out of love or compulsion. It was likened to when a vast mixed company left Egypt with the Israelites. Faking it could still get me a reward...

More to come.

• RayPublisher
    RayPublisher

Positive change never comes easy and it won't come if we all sit on our hands or type comments telling someone it's all a big waste of time. They said that to Ghandi and to MLK Jr also.

Good job Comatose keep us informed!

BTW the letter by Greybeard appears to have made a difference bc they completely stayed away from him after that. And a lady that I know personally used the psuedo-legal letter threat angle when one of the elders did something very hinkey to her and it would be a big fat embarassment for them to drag through the courts. WT does not want any more bad press and regularly "leaves alone" certain ones they don't want to give potential media attention to. This "JW" lady cannot be touched now and is still technically a Witness, has over 100 JW relatives that have been specifically told by their elders not to shun her even though she has made it known that she goes to another church now.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit