Starting College -- HOORAY for ME!!!

by outnfree 34 Replies latest jw experiences

• larc
    larc

outnfree,

I am very touched that a thread I started was so positive for you. As a retired teacher, I will say that teachers hope they have helped others, but they rarely ever know. With our students, we may not hear something positive from them for many years after they graduate.

Thanks again for menioning my thread. I was so impressed with the very many on that thread who have taken the path you are now embarking upon. As AlanF said, I think you will find it to be an exciting journey.

I think you will love the college experience, and I think you will find this first course that you are taking to be fascinating.

• teenyuck
    teenyuck

Congratulations outnfree!! I am so happy for you.

Have fun!

Tina

• outnfree
    outnfree

WOW! Thanks, you guys! You are the best!

I have been spending all this time you have been answering at www.fastweb.com figuring out scholarship possibilities. And there ARE some!!!! (Thanks, Valis!) I was laughing because when they ask if your parents belong to certain organizations -- some of them are organizations I used to belong to myself!

I start next Tuesday. Now I have to check to see what the required textbook might be.

outnfree

It's what you learn after you know it all that counts -- John Wooden

• Judith_01
    Judith_01

Go for it Out! Education is the best investment you could ever make in yourself..... enjoy!

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Congratulations and best wishes!

You're doing the right thing - using that gray matter can be exhilarating!

Happy dances all around!!!

SONG: Grey Matter
    They say you're stupid
    That you're too young to vote
    They say you'll swallow anything
    That they shove down your throat

They say you can't think
    That you haven't got a brain
    That you're just there to listen
    That you're just being trained

CHORUS
    There's something inside your head

They say you lost the ability to even think
    That your tiny little brain
    Slipped down the kitchen sink

They say that you'll buy anything
    That they turn your way
    That you'll listen to everything
    That they decide to play

CHORUS
    Grey matter grey matter ooh . . .

BRIDGE
    I think you like it--like it
    To be told what to do--isn't that true
    I think you're better--better--better off
    Stone cold dead--without your head

They say you're stupid
    That you're too young to vote
    They say you'll swallow anything
    That they shove down your throat

If they say lie down, you'll do it
    If they say--buy it now--you'll do it
    If they say--turn around--you'll do it
    If they say--hit the ground--you'll do it
    If they say--bite the big weenie--you'll do it
    If they say--wasn't that good--you'll do it
    If they say--bend over baby--you'll do it
    If they say--take it and like it--you'll do it

CHORUS

• Dutchie
    Dutchie

Good for you! I know many people who go to college just to get a good job so to speak, but just the sheer joy of learning far surpasses any occupation you may be working toward.

• patio34
    patio34

Hooray, indeed! I think you've inspired me too!

• ConnieLynn
    ConnieLynn

Yeah for you!!!! It will change the way you think about everything!! Congrats again!

Connie

• larc
    larc

Patio,

How is sis doing, college wise. I know she really enjoyed her first class, but she hasn't commented lately. People like you, your sister, JT, and many others will really excell (sp?) in college.

Wanted to tell ya all a story. I was on the college campus and on the elevator late in the day with a college prof. I asked him if he was teaching an evening class and he said, yes. I told him I liked late classes because I am a late in the day kind of person. He said he liked evening classes, because the older students were more serious, motivated, and had more to contribute. The message is: don't be intimidated because you are getting a late start. Your profs will appreciate you and your contributions.

• outnfree
    outnfree

Thanks, larc!

I have a girlfriend from the neighborhood who is going to university (albeit for the second time) and she, too, is a success much appreciated by her professors. She got her degree in nursing in Canada, but now would like to teach and is in the States. She is earning a 4.0 grade point average and not only made the Dean's List but also got some national award.

Her story has been VERY encouraging to me! And she has another friend our age who just graduated last spring and whom I've met.

And THANK YOU ((((((((responders))))))))) for your encouragement. I truly needed to hear some positive feedback!

I am already perusing the catalog for courses I will take in the fall.
    Next week I will take the mandatory placement tests for English and Math -- they give you a grace period at this college as long as you don't pick an English or a Math for your first semester.

I'd be going full-time if we didn't have four children to get through school over the next 10 years!

Still gleeful,

outnfree

It's what you learn after you know it all that counts -- John Wooden

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit