Suggestions for car buying

by FlyingHighNow 54 Replies latest jw friends

• Lied2NoMore
    Lied2NoMore

No Cadillac either....the perfect cheap reliable easy to fix 4wd vehicle is a chevy blazer....tons of them made...4.3 v6 is bulletproof..and for five grand you can get a hell of a nice one that will look and drive like new...just buy an adult driven one

• Gypsy Sam
    Gypsy Sam

I am extremely happy with my 2005 Prius.

• Scott77
    Scott77

Don't forget fuel economy. Some autos are for premium only. Personally, I dislike Toyotas but is surprised, the consumer magazine always ranks Toyota on top every year. For someone from Michigan, the home of General Motors, wouldn't that be advantageous,? just kidding.

Scott77

• Simon
    Simon

LOL @ counting cars in the ditch - i do that too!

It still amazes me that living in a country where winter happens *every* year that so many people are so bad at driving in it. Really bad.

The thing to remember is 4wd helps you get moving better but does zip at helping you stop better.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Even the cheapest crappiest winter tires are better than the best all-seasons in snow.

That is good to know, Simon. I didn't know this about snow tires. Are there some snow tires that you can drive all year?

I know a fire rescue/paramedic here in Michigan. She told me that most of the ditchers are four wheel drives. She said the reason is that the drivers need to slow down. She said they tend to be over confident.

• tim hooper
    tim hooper

I bought a 2000 Saab 9-5 a couple of years back. It was pre GM ownership, so I knew it would be sturdily built. I paid £1000 for it in 2012. It had 74,000 miles on the clock with just 2 previous owners and full service history. Since then I've covered over 30,000 miles. All I've had to pay out for is a new battery and tyres plus normal servicing. Mine's a turbo model, so I make sure of oil changes at around 6000 mile intervals

• cantleave
    cantleave

I had to buy my quickly after my beloved Merc was written off, the intention was to keep a few months. 2 years later I am still driving it, a 2003 Vauxhall (Opel) Omega 2.2 automatic. It's not economical, it's not fast, but it is reliable and comfortable.

It cost me £950.00

• goodsoul
    goodsoul

take a look on Subaru impreza(wagon or hatchback)- pretty reliable car and should fit to your requirements.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I have the funds now. Any additional thoughts and ideas are sought and welcomed. I am doing this car search with no man or vehicle to get around with.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Okay, so Im about to test drive a 2009 Base Corolla sedan.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit