Suggestions for car buying

by FlyingHighNow 54 Replies latest jw friends

• James Brown
    James Brown

I'd go with a toyota Corolla.

1998 and up 4 cylander Toyota models have chains and not belts so they don't have to be replaced.

Hondas, Nisans and Miatas have belts. And need replacement.

That is one reason why the Corolla is the best selling car in the world.

And since the Corolla is the best selling car in the world everyone works on them and parts are reasonable.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Thank you, James. It is over $500 just to have a belt replaced. If it has broken or jumped time, you're talking 1500 to 2000 to repair the engine. I learned the hard way with this last car.

• GoneAwol
    GoneAwol

Take a mechanic who knows his stuff. Cars that were contract hire or leased to companies can have higher mileage but have been looked after mechanically as they need to stay on the road to earn the money.

We always buy our fleet vans at 3 years old and ex lease. Full service history is more important than mileage. Ask to see all reciepts and history of work done. If there isnt any, walk. We also get more money back at trade in with service history.

Stay away from the low mileage shopping cart as these will be bunged up with carbon and crud. My F in law just bought a low miles Ford from an old lady, he's just needed to spend £1100 on a new turbo and injection manifold. The car was 4 years old. fwiw!

GA

• marmot
    marmot

If you're carting around tall teenagers get a 2002 or newer Honda CRV. Tons of room, dead-nuts reliable, timing chain, four-wheel drive for when the snow flies and the rear luggage floor can even be removed and unfolded into a picnic table!

• bigmac
    bigmac

i tend to buy cars i like the look of--about 10 years old--and cheap. first i find out what the common problems are--and go for those that have been fixed--with bills to prove. after a year or so--i'm usually fed up with them--so if something goes wrong--and it costs more than say half what the car is worth--its tossed.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Thanks, guys. I'm betting my grandson, 6'1" and his friends would love the CRV. When Andy comes to visit, he is 6'2". Imagine them riding one in front and the other directly behind in my Talon. Knees up to the chin.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

We have a toyota camry that is about 10+ years old and it runs beautifully and is very comfy-great leg room for a 6ft guy sitting in the back from Houston to Vegas(!). We just keep it basically maintained and it serves us very well. It gets 24mpg on the freeway still (if it matters). We have done two long road trips and after 5000 miles the first time and 3000 the second-on neither trip did it burn oil or have any issues.

Make sure and have a lawyer check the contract with the company and the bank. Its good to have a reliable mechanic available to check it out before you buy it. $50 is a great bargain and sometimes, its not even that. Most tire/brake shops will check them out for free (like LesSchwab or Midas).

• JeffT
    JeffT

Just out of curiosity, have looked into whatever terms you can get on a new car? I went through a mess of used cars for about twenty years, and spent a small fortune on them. In 1998 we bought a new Ford, in 2005 we traded it in on another new Ford. Since 1998 we have not paid for anything but routine maintenance, the peace of mind is worth some money. If you buy a lower end vehicle you can (with decent credit) get a good care for under $200 a month.

Its worth at least calculating the cost. Remember the cost of a car is not what you pay for it when you buy it. It's that, plus gas, insurance, licenses and repairs for the life of the car. If you're comparing a used car that will last five years against a new car that will last ten, remember that you're going to have to buy another one half way through the ten year span.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I will be using cash to buy the car. I wouldn't be able to afford even a small payment.

• JeffT
    JeffT

Edited, becuase I misread your comment. I still think you should look at what financing would look like. Repairs on a 5K car will probably more than equal a payment on small car.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit