Suggestions for car buying

by FlyingHighNow 54 Replies latest jw friends

• wearewatchingyouman
    wearewatchingyouman

I had a 2000 Volvo V70 Cross Country Wagon. I loved that car! Expensive on repairs though.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

That's an important issue, how much does the car cost to repair. I'm raising a grandson and don't have tons of extra cash for repairs.

• wearewatchingyouman
    wearewatchingyouman

I'd say Volvo's are at least 25% more to repair than your average Japanese or American made car. I'd put them in the category of Mercedes, BMW etc. when it comes to maintenance costs. Though, your grandson would be riding in one of the safest cars on the planet, so........

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

If you can't sustain heavy hits from repairs, I would suggest looking into either buying pre-owned with bumper-to-bumper warranty for the term of the loan. You can get really nice cars (3yo) for $150/mo with a leftover warranty of 5 years. Or lease.

• finally awake
    finally awake

I would suggest staying with a car not more than 10 years old. My car is a 2000 Buick, and it's really hitting the end of its life. I have 240,000 miles on it though, so I can't complain.

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

Pay/have a mechanic of your choosing give it a thorough inspection. Don't forget to call your insurance company, as different cars are higher to insure.

• zeb
    zeb

Firstthing is to turn on the radio. If it booms out with heavy metal forget the car. If it plays classics then she is a goer.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I'll remember that, Zeb.

Thanks for your PMs.

Keep the suggestions coming.

Where would you draw the line on mileage on the odometer?

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

I'd look into a 2003, 2004 Honda Accord 4 sedan.

Thats been looked after from previous owners of course.

Should be in your price range.

Slightly over 100,000 miles is still all right in this car if its been regularly serviced.

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter

Let your experience with that timing belt be a warning: they do not last for the life of the car, and must be replaced regularly (expensive, but less than a blown engine). If you buy a car with a timing belt, check the maintenance schedule and plan on replacing it no later than recommended. If it's overdue, find out how much that will cost--or walk away from the deal.

At the $5000 price level, the car will be old enough that condition and prior treatment are vital. Even the best brands will have problems if the car has been abused or poorly maintained. Get an opinion from an honest independent mechanic, one who works on many makes and knows what problems are common on different models, one who isn't afraid to tell you "If you buy that thing I'll be seeing you often." Also ask about how easy it is to find parts for the model you're considering; discontinued or unusual parts could keep it in the shop until a special order arrives.

Insist on a fresh emissions test, and check the numbers on the report to be sure it didn't barely squeak by. If it barely passes this year, there's a good chance it will fail next time. In most states, failing the emissions test means you can't renew the license plates until it's fixed.

I generally look for less than 10 years old and less than 100,000 miles. But I have had a car with multiple problems in less than half that, while another lasted far longer (same make but different models).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit