Question about 9/11 and the WT.

by Hecce 20 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Hecce
    Hecce

BackseatD

That exactly is what I was told, the attacks made them rush for the mountains.

• NVR2L8
    NVR2L8

ldrnomo...I agree with you but the WTS conduct their business in the least conspicuous way...What would the sheep think if their society got involved in property management...unless one of their obscure corporations took care of it.

• rebel8
    rebel8

IIRC there are threads on here that were started when it happened, and hq locked the doors.

Poztate has it right. lol You forgot one though.

replacement clothing (USED, ILL-FITTING POLYESTER SUITS AND TIES FOR THE MEN, TURTLENECKS, PARKAS AND PRARIE SKIRTS FOR THE SISTERS, EVEN THOUGH IT WAS WARM WEATHER THAT WEEK, THEY NEEDED TO BE MODEST, AND LATER THEY WERE ASKED FOR A DONATION TO COVER THE COST)

Seriously, I shudder to be in the position of seeking shelter there at all, let alone choosing to wear their godawful rags instead of just wearing my clothes another few days. They have washing machines there.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

This could actually lend some credence to the "Sincere GB" school of thought, doesn't it? I mean, it makes it look as though they're expecting things to get worse, as they teach that the Bible predicts. After all, few people thought that 9/11 was going to lead to a ton more attacks in NYC or some sort of war in America. Whereas I knew a number of JWs thought it was the beginning of the end, starting with an elder who told me so that night at the meeting, Tuesday on 9/11/01.

• Hecce
    Hecce

I was told that the main WT contributibution was to put a water station at the end of the bridge and provide the people fleeing from the tragedy with water bottles.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

The last thing I wanted that week and the months that followed was a trained Christian counselor. I don't recall the news media covering Bethel aid. In fact, locking the doors is what I would expect. Opening the doors to normal people is so antiWitness. I can just see Al-Qaeda targeting the Witnesses, a little known religous sect. No, they went for the flashy. The WTC and landmark buildings. The NYSE. A lot of the buildings where I received services had biological meters.

I expect that many felt Armagedddon had arrived. It is strange that we have rumors and not hard facts. I offered my apartment to stranded people.When have the Witnesses fed the poor or provided shelter. I saw them running down to Katarina. Several normal people that I know went. I called the Red Cross to go, They thought they would have to rescue me rather than my helping the locals.

I did note that the after the first day or so, the toxic air was blowing straight into Bethel's path.

• rebel8
    rebel8

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/scandals/120345/1/Was-anyone-at-Bethel-on-9-11-01#.Usi_4_vVqSo

quotes:

per phone call TO Bethel yesterday, "our ministry does not involve going to Ground Zero today"

The Society DID open its doors, but only after some backlash. They actually locked all the doors, not allowing anyone in. After all, you can't have wordly people inside the Lord's house, covered in ashes. Later they realized this wasn't going to look good for them, so they opened the door selectively.

They had told us to stay inside the buildings and to return to work as normal.

They were looking out the windows, and the 'overseer' - or person in charge - came over, shut the blinds, and told them to 'get back to work'.

• JustVisting
    JustVisting

Hecce, great thread. I've only heard the WT side of the story regarding their actions after 9/11.

Rebel8, WT Overseers are like that- cold and aloof to human feeling.

• NAVYTOWN
    NAVYTOWN

All your Base are belong to us.

• Gorbatchov
    Gorbatchov

Hecce, I have one answer,

One of my relatives has connections with the inner circle (staff) at watchtower HQ. He was told that watchtower was planning moving out of Brooklyn decades. (before 1995).

When the city of New York started bidding for the Summer Olympics 2012, watchtower made serious plans for leasing their buildings for tourist accommodation during the Olympics.

From the moment it was known that New York didn't get the Olympics in 2012 they started selling their property.

My source is very reliable.

Gorby

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit