Question about 9/11 and the WT.

by Hecce 20 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Hecce
    Hecce

Some friends familiar with WT gossip have told me that the decision to move out of NY was in part accelerated by the tragic events of 9/11.

My take on this is that decision to relocate was made a long time before, however they counter that a move was planned but not the total detachment that is occurring.

I wonder if anyone here has an opinion or information on this.

Thanks

• NVR2L8
    NVR2L8

My take on this is that the WTS needs to turn the equity value of their buildings into liquidity they can invest to generate cash flow. Although the value of their real estate may continue to raise, they don't generate any income. By selling the old buildings and relocating to a new location built by slave labour the WTS will dispose of hundreds of millionsmwhennit is all said and done.

• AlphaMan
    AlphaMan

Probably more like.....Oh shit, the right kind of terroristic attack on this city and our real estate empire could be worth pennies on the dollar. Time to cash in and sell into the bounced back economy, while we have the slaves build us a new real estate empire with less chance of terrorist threaths.

• A.proclaimer
    A.proclaimer

I can remember being told the 9/11 reason by the tourist guide at bethel in Brooklyn. This was in 2009. It's a possiblity that it's one reason for the move, but in my opinion, I think there's more than just that story.

• ldrnomo
    ldrnomo

If they wanted to turn the equity value of their buildings into liquidity they could have brought in their teams of slave labor to remodel the buildings into full blown 1, 2, and three bedroom apartments they could have become one of the largest landloards in Brooklyn Heights. That's what I would have done if I was running things.

They could have sold some of the factory property to fund the new shang-ri-la they're buiding on the lake and they could claim most of the money they recieve without substanstial taxes. They could have a small work force of their slave labor managing the property.

• Hecce
    Hecce

Thanks

That same friend told me that the WT lost a golden PR opportunity by not opening their doors to the relief effort.

9/11 for him was a factor but not the main one.

• Laika
    Laika

That same friend told me that the WT lost a golden PR opportunity by not opening their doors to the relief effort.

Really? I seem to remember an Awake that was all about how amazing the WT were for opening their doors to the relief effort?

Did I make that up?

• Hecce
    Hecce

Please read between the lines, they didn't open their vast facilities for the rescue effort.

I might be wrong, please let me know if that is the case. I am going bywhat I was told by someone else.

*** g02 1/8 pp. 10-12 Support and Compassion From Many Parts ***

Witnesses Offer Practical Help

The first two days of the disaster, about 70 people sought refuge at the world headquarters of Jehovah’s Witnesses. Some who had lost their hotel rooms and luggage were given a place to stay and replacement clothing. They were fed. Perhaps more important, they were given emotional support by experienced Christian elders.

Jehovah’s Witnesses also sent needed emergency equipment and supplies for the search-and-rescue crews working at what came to be called Ground Zero. Transportation was also made available to the fire department to get fire fighters to the rescue area. Ricardo (at right, top), a 39-year-old Witness and sanitation worker, was involved, along with hundreds of others, in removing tons of debris day after day. He told Awake!: “The sights were very stressful, especially for fire fighters, who were looking for their lost comrades. I saw them pull out one fireman alive. Another fireman had been killed by a falling body. Many firemen were weeping. I broke down and cried. On that day nobody was more courageous than they were.”

• Poztate
    Poztate

O.K... I will read between the lines....

*** g02 1/8 pp. 10-12 Support and Compassion From Many Parts ***

Witnesses Offer Practical Help

The first two days of the disaster, about 70 people (WITNESSES IN TOWN) sought refuge at the world headquarters of Jehovah’s Witnesses. Some who had lost their hotel rooms and luggage were given a place to stay and replacement clothing. They were fed. Perhaps more important, they were given emotional support by experienced Christian elders.

Jehovah’s Witnesses also sent needed emergency equipment (Bibles and songbooks) and supplies for the search-and-rescue crews working at what came to be called Ground Zero. Transportation was (COMMANDEERED) also made available to the fire department to get fire fighters to the rescue area. Ricardo (at right, top), a 39-year-old Witness and sanitation worker, was involved, (AS IT WAS PART OF HIS JOB) blah..blah..blah

They are skilled at putting the spin on anything they do

• BackseatDevil
    BackseatDevil

I wrote this somewhere else, but in reality Bethel as a whole is NOT preparing for the end of the world. They do not have a concept of interrupted printing presses at any time. When the attacks happened, this changed. There now existed a real-time threat that could hault printing. The only reason they are at the location in Brooklyn was for ease of shipping via water which is no longer a method of delivery used by the Society.

This is important: They, LIKE EVERYONE ELSE IN NEW YORK, wanted to get the hell out - they were all emotional and scared. Manhatten started offering apartments to rent for cheap to get people to move back into the city in the years following the attackes. From a religious standpoint (and I heard this from my mother) an attack of that nature means the end of the world (of course) and attacks on Jehovah's Witnesses woudl be next - ripe for attack as they are directly on the water. (eye roll.)

9/11 was a factor because it brought a very unrealistic perception of martyrdom into a very real inner circle of their production. From that point, I believe all other factors fell into place. Up until 2000 the idea of moving Brooklyn was not even heard in murmurs.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit