The Pastor of my Old Church Tried to Re-Convert Me Yesterday

by cofty 2596 Replies latest jw experiences

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

besty, please tell me that you were born instructed?

Edit: Perhaps you should find interesting to read something about Open Theism.

Eden

• adamah
    adamah

EdenOne said-

Cofty, let me go back to what I said previously. God CAN know everything if he chooses to become familiar with such thing.

Derp.

Your selective pre-cog capability concept is a plot element from Frank Herbert's novel Dune, where the protagonist could examine multiple time-lines and see all the multiple outcomes of various actions he took BEFORE he selected an action to take.

The problem is, how does God decide to know something BEFORE he knows it?

OR, maybe God knows all the possible outcomes in the future, but then decides to self-inflict a memory-destroying concussion to cause selective amnesia?

IN that case, it's still a FAIL, since God would have to make a conscious decision to willfully suppress knowledge of the tsunami, and then claim He didn't know it.

Just admit it, EdenOne: you're engaging in deep dippity thinking, and you believe in a God who possesses many contradictory and mutually-exclusive traits, and it really doesn't bother you. In fact, in that regard, your God is an awful lot like <wait for it....> YOU?

You'd think that should be a MAJOR HINT that your God is a product of your own mind, as all God conceptions are the result of believer's individual willingness and desire to make Gods in THEIR image.

Adam

• besty
    besty

God probably doesn't exist, so best just to crack on with things.

Thanks for the link though - its all BS in case you need a 2nd opinion.

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

I didn't, but thanks for the input, betsy ;)

Eden

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

Adam, God can't be a product of MY imagination. I'm a terrible chess player, and I can't predict even two moves ahead.

Nice piece of naive art, though.

Eden

• besty
    besty

do you seriously believe all that stuff you just wrote on the last page?

• cofty
    cofty

God CAN know everything if he chooses to become familiar with such thing . Doesn't mean he is informed at all times of everything taking place in every corner of the physical universe. After all, he also has a spiritual realm to deal with. - EdenOne

Then your god is an incompetent buffoon who is worthy only of our derision.

"oops sorry about the tsunami I was too busy doing other stuff".

handing over all authority to the Son. - EdenOne

Then Jesus is also an incompetent buffoon. "Like father like son."

Eden I am very familiar with "open theism" - Sanders, Pinnock, Boyd, Polkinghorne,etc - it was my position on the route from evangelical christianity to atheism. What you have described is NOT open theism. As Besty observed you are just making stuff up as you type. You should take a few years to read theology and work through the main ideas.

Summary so far...

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

I seriously do.

Happy now?

Eden

• adamah
    adamah

EdenOne said-

Adam, God can't be a product of MY imagination. I'm a terrible chess player, and I can't predict even two moves ahead.

And your failed attempts at theodicy (eg your "God uses selective knowledge" thingie) makes that admission very likely, such that I'm truly inclined to believe you DO suck at chess. Such self-delusional thinking only works as long as you cautiously avoid any logical challenge that only topples your apple cart.

Hence why I said a few pages ago that it's advised to try to topple your OWN concepts before publicly sharing them with others, since otherwise you're only fooling those who are pre-disposed to swallow such illogical nonsense, i.e. those who likewise forget to exercise even a moment's independent skeptical thinking of their own before accepting the ideas of others.

Not that it's a thing to do: you're really no different from the Pope, the GB, priests, etc, who get financial rewards and ego-gratification from prancing about and acting like they're God's prophets on Earth. It's the oldest game in the (Holy) Book, but you just happen to be really bad at it.

Adam

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

Cofty,

The fact that YOU have decided that you don't want to know God, or refuse the very concept of His existence, or, in the event that God exists, you find Him unworthy of your in-demand approval, only tells me that God is respectful of our own free will / free choice, something I'm sure you cherish. If you refuse to accept God's hope and you find no comfort in it, and choose to evangelize the believers about the absolute void that you believe that evidence supports, it's all good and dandy. Don't expect to partake in that hope, though. Don't mock the hope that others have, for it's better to find comfort in hope than to live without it. I hope in your lifetime you still have a change of heart, is all I can say, as it's never too late until we die.

Eden

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit