The Pastor of my Old Church Tried to Re-Convert Me Yesterday

by cofty 2596 Replies latest jw experiences

• jgnat
    jgnat

Do you dismiss the work of relief workers and wealthy donors who may not have experienced commensurate suffering?

Is there a one-to-one relationship of increased compassion from increased suffering? Are those who have endured the greatest suffering the most compassionate in our society?

• Viviane
    Viviane

Again, you may not agree or like that view BUT you can't say it isn't a valid one because it is

It's not valid. I said it. Clearly I CAN say it. How does completely misunderstanding how something works or etymology bolster your point that God/love/suffering/death is ultimately a good thing? Just say what you mean, specifically, in as few points as possible.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Do you dismiss the work of relief workers and wealthy donors who may not have experienced commensurate suffering?

Is there a one-to-one relationship of increased compassion from increased suffering? Are those who have endured the greatest suffering the most compassionate in our society?

Of course not, but that isn't the point, the point is that compassion by its very definition can't exist without suffering.

• cofty
    cofty

I can't begin to count the number of times I have said that this thread is NOT about suffering.

PSac - you have spent numerous pages answering a question I didn't ask because you have no answer for the one I did ask.

You have made no attempt to join the dots between your ivory-tower answer and the specific events of 26th December 2004

1. Are you really saying that the god of christian theism passively observed a growing tsuanmi, knowing full well that it would wipe out a quarter of a million people, because he thought somebody might learn something about compassion?

2. Why have you ignored the valid points that jgnat and I have made about the disconnect between mass suffering and compassion?

3. Love is an emotion. Wasn't your carpenter "moved with pity"?

• cofty
    cofty

Just say what you mean, specifically, in as few points as possible - Viviane

PSac has a degree in theology now. From my experience of theologians that makes it highly unlikely he will ever again say what he means.

• cofty
    cofty

You can't play the "God is love so He can't allow suffering because He is love" card because for that you would have to be able to define, without question, what it means when we say that "God is love" and that is another issue - Psac

Yes we can. Your dead carpenter spelled out what it meant and I'm fairly sure it didn't include wholesale slaughter.

Are you suggesting that drowning 250 000 men, women and infants might in some mysterious way be a perfect example of godly love?

• cofty
    cofty

That’s the problem with the little plan"B" god of moralism, he/it can be put in a moral box. - Deputy Dog

We know. Your god has no morals. That is obvious from the Old Testament. Thanks for confirming that.

• humbled
    humbled

Psac,

Does it matter to ignore the teaching of Jesus you claim to believe? AGAIN:The golden rule is irrefutably linked with compassion by Jesus in Luke 10 (as I wrote you above). This teaching is called one of the greatest. So why is that law not observed by God himself?

It may seem tedious of me to write you this again, but I find it tedious of you not to respond or acknowlege the question.

Maeve

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

We know. Your god has no morals.

Your god "moralism" has no love, and yet you still worship it. Is it any wonder?

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

1. Are you really saying that the god of christian theism passively observed a growing tsuanmi, knowing full well that it would wipe out a quarter of a million people, because he thought somebody might learn something about compassion?

No, God uses suffering to develop comapssion in humans. God did NOT create the tsunami and does NOT interfere in the natural events of this world and earthquakes and natural disaters are part of this natural world. The laws of nature of this world are what they are.

God did not interfere in that event, like He has not interfered in any past event or like He will NOT interfere in any future event because Nature is that way it is, as it has always been and will always be. It falls on us to adapt to thsi world, not for God to adapt this world to Us.

2. Why have you ignored the valid points that jgnat and I have made about the disconnect between mass suffering and compassion?

What people do with comapssion is up tp them. While there can be a disconnect that i sbecause people CHOOSE for there to be a disconnect.

3. Love is an emotion. Wasn't your carpenter "moved with pity"?

Yes, and what did He do when moved?

He suffered with Us and died with Us.

You may not like that lesson or agree with it, but that is the lesson.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit