The Pastor of my Old Church Tried to Re-Convert Me Yesterday

by cofty 2596 Replies latest jw experiences

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Psac,

Does it matter to ignore the teaching of Jesus you claim to believe? AGAIN:The golden rule is irrefutably linked with compassion by Jesus in Luke 10 (as I wrote you above). This teaching is called one of the greatest. So why is that law not observed by God himself?

It may seem tedious of me to write you this again, but I find it tedious of you not to respond or acknowlege the question.

Maeve

The golden rule, is to do unto others as you would have them do to you, or to NOT do anything that you would NOT have done to youself.

It is the beginning, not the end.

One can follow the golden rule out of sher selfishness if they so choose.

Compassion is, as I posted the "official definition" above:

1. a feeling of deep sympathy and sorrow for another who is stricken by misfortune, accompanied by a strong desire to alleviate the suffering.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

If you really wish to exercise true Compassion, you have to go further than the inadequate words of "Jesus" as we have them.

It is necessary to "Do unto others as they would wish to be done by".

• MissFit
    MissFit

Psac, how does your reply answer Humble's question re: god following the principal of the golden rule?

I am curious also.

If there is a god I dont think he cares. I think we are so beneath him that a few thousand , millions of lives doesnt even register.

We are God's ant farm.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Psac, how does your reply answer Humble's question re: god following the principal of the golden rule?

I am curious also.

If there is a god I dont think he cares. I think we are so beneath him that a few thousand , millions of lives doesnt even register.

We are God's ant farm.

You MAY be right, maybe He doesn't care all that much, OR maybe He cares in such a different way that it doesn't register on our level OR maybe He cares enough to give up all that He was, become one of Us, live like Us, suffere like Us and die like Us so that we may know Him not as some being beyond Us but as someome willing to give up ALL for Us.

• MissFit
    MissFit

Psac: how does your reply answer Humble's question Re: the golden rule. If your god felt the suffering as you say: why would he sit back and allow thousands to die and suffer?

Also re: Jesus/God: Jesus interfered with natural events: he calmed the wind; he helped his apostles fish; he brought Lazarus from the dead. Hev saw first hand how much suffering losing a loved causes us.

So what excuse / reason is there for him to go back to heaven and sit on his hands?

We might as well have no God.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Psac: how does your reply answer Humble's question Re: the golden rule. If your god felt the suffering as you say: why would he sit back and allow thousands to die and suffer?

I have no answer that will satisify you, sorry.

I know that we want God to fix things, to interfer when natural disaters happen, that we can't put our minds arouns why IF He can do something, why doesn't he and that is why I always start by asking the person asking the question like you did, is there any answer to that question that you will accept? Most are quite honest and say, NO.

Also re: Jesus/God: Jesus interfered with natural events: he calmed the wind; he helped his apostles fish; he brought Lazarus from the dead. Hev saw first hand how much suffering losing a loved causes us.

Yes, He did all that, why?

So what excuse / reason is there for him to go back to heaven and sit on his hands?

We might as well have no God.

What reason can God ( or anyone here for that matter) give you that would satisfy you?

• cofty
    cofty

Cowardly retreat into deism.

Theists make grandiose knowledge claims about god until they are asked a difficult question.

• Viviane
    Viviane

No, God uses suffering to develop comapssion in humans. God did NOT create the tsunami and does NOT interfere in the natural events of this world and earthquakes and natural disaters are part of this natural world. The laws of nature of this world are what they are.

How, specifically, does any compassion built outweigh the deaths? If God is omni-whole, why did he have to use death, 250K of them? Why would he stand idly by and let these deaths occur and not simply allow death from old age to build compassion, or skinned knees? How can you claim God did NOT create the tsunami when he created the universe, the rules and knows everything, including that the tsunami would happen?

You MAY be right, maybe He doesn't care all that much, OR maybe He cares in such a different way that it doesn't register on our level OR maybe He cares enough to give up all that He was, become one of Us, live like Us, suffere like Us and die like Us so that we may know Him not as some being beyond Us but as someome willing to give up ALL for Us.

How can you make all of these claims of love and compassion and then basically say God may not even care?

The second part of that response is "It's a mystery" and that has already been dealt with.

I know that we want God to fix things, to interfer when natural disaters happen, that we can't put our minds arouns why IF He can do something, why doesn't he and that is why I always start by asking the person asking the question like you did, is there any answer to that question that you will accept? Most are quite honest and say, NO.

That can't be an honest answer, it presumes they know every possible answer, something we can't logically know if even know or not. You are asking them to be omniscient regarding any possible answer and that simply is not possible. The question is invalid on it's face with no further qualification required.

A much better question would "Why are the current answers so logically invalid and unsatisfying?"

• Viviane
    Viviane

Theists make grandiose knowledge claims about god until they are asked a difficult question.

Or an extremely simple one, like "What is spirit made of?"

• jgnat
    jgnat

So if people choose to become less compassionate after a tragedy, it's their fault? It seems that the power of disaster to create greater compassion in the world is fraught with flaws.

Perhaps a kinder approach, like reading sympathetic novels, may increase compassion in the world without the commensurate suffering. There's good evidence that the widespread adoption of reading has done just that.

So if reading rather than suffering demonstrably results in a kinder populace, why would God continue to allow suffering to countless human beings?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit