The Pastor of my Old Church Tried to Re-Convert Me Yesterday

by cofty 2596 Replies latest jw experiences

• flamegrilled
    flamegrilled

Cofty, no offense, but I'm not wasting any more time on this thread (as flamegrilled seemingly decided not to do), since you've shown a willingness to flip-flop (AKA moving goalposts) as it suits your purposes, arguably right up there amongst the worst theist offenders (and I was willing to cut them some slack for them, but you? You know better, and it's hard to imagine it's not intentional....). Adam

Mainly I was busy, but I was also not in a hurry to remain engaged for the reasons you've given Adam, and more. I lost count of the number of times Cofty misquoted me, or stated that I said things that I didn't. That starts to get ridiculous.

Cofty wants me to lay out my beliefs, but he wants to define the paramenters for me to do that. At the same time he was quick to say of himself ...

We are not discussing my spiritual journey here. If you want to start a new thread on the topic carry on.

Well that's true of me too. I am not about to spend time laying out a complete belief system to someone who has already demonstrated that they will not hesitate to rehash my words in any way that suits them, or simply add things I didn't say. Also, I have seen what happens to people who lay out their belief system in this discussion.

As far as S&R's comments about death being a punishment, death is simply a withdrawing of the gift of life. In your atheistic world death is the default anyway, so why kick up such a righteous fuss against God if he exists?

Your whole rant is based on the premise that if God exists he must be cruel for allowing, or even applying, death. But if death is the default then why would you not be grateful for the chance of life?

If the ultimate purpose is to have beings of free will that choose to adhere to a moral standard set by God for the benefit of all, then who is to say that God is presently doing somethng wrong, either through action or inaction? Several analogies spring to mind, but since this discussion suffers from "analogy allergy" I won't bother.

How do you give a being free will, and ensure that he will not misuse it? In isolation it doesn't much matter, but if you are creating a society of such beings then it obviously does. I don't know the way to do it, and neither do you.

If intervention in natural disasters at this time is counter to God's ultimate purpose for his creation then I am prepared to accept that there is good reason for that.

• humbled
    humbled

flamegrilled,

My hat is off to you. No irony.*

Without evidence you have the hope, the faith to believe in a god who has not acted with love and power.

You value love? You are trusting that God will indeed restore with tenderness the poor sufferers who had no relief in this life--and no knowledge of Jesus as Christ?

That is a faith in a theodicy that the NT has never supported,as far as I know.

*It is hard not to feel ironic.

• besty
    besty

94 pages in and here we are:

If intervention in natural disasters at this time is counter to God's ultimate purpose for his creation then I am prepared to accept that there is good reason for that.

Theist believers want to believe, sans evidence

Atheists haven't seen evidence yet.

I'm sure there is a genetic or personality type aspect to this, but I dont have the evidence yet ;-)

• flamegrilled
    flamegrilled

Without evidence you have the hope, the faith to believe in a god who has not acted love and power.

You value love? You are trusting that God will indeed restore with tenderness the poor sufferers who had no relief in this life--and no knowledge of Jesus as Christ.

That is a faith in a theodicythat the NT has never supported,as far as I know. humbled

I'm not sure I follow, so there is a chance that I'm going to answer your point incorrectly, but due to misunderstanding.

Are you saying that from my point of view you think I don't believe that God has given evidence of love and power?

If so then that would be a wrong understanding. I believe that my existence and the existence of the universe give evidence of God's love and power.

Then you seemed to say that the NT doesn't support the idea that those who have suffered or never had a chance will be restored. According to the way I read the NT it does.

• flamegrilled
    flamegrilled

besty - If a good friend told you the truth 999 times, but then said said something that appeared to be untruthful, would you forget about the big picture or immediately conclude your friend was a liar?

Of course if the person in question is not someone known to you and you simply hear the one out of place statement then you would think that the friend who believes is just gullible.

Obviously atheists have a completely different perspective to theists. But from my perspective it is not "without evidence" by a long shot.

Please don't bother asking me to make the entire case for God as Cofty keeps doing. I don't ask anyone in this discussion to believe, and I'm not about to preach.

The discussion was about whether Cofty's conclusion is logical and whether Christian theism is fatally flawed. The answer to both of those is no. That is not in itself any argument towards the existence of God, which is a separate and much larger conversation. I can completely understand why people are happy to take Cofty's superficial argument and keep repeating that it proves something (their preferred world view). But it simply doesn't.

• jgnat
    jgnat

besty, I think I am on to the genetic predisposition to entrench rather than reach detente. I am reading Haidt's book The Righteous Mind and I am sure he is on to something. Once a person has established their moral code, those "others" who operate under a different framework will look strange, even repugnant.

Haidt argues convincingly that we use rationalism chiefly for rhetoric and to bolster our entrenched position, and it takes a terrific leap to see the world inside an "other"'s skin.

And let's not fool ourselves. The rationalist has a moral code, too. Right up there is reverence for individual life, independence of thought, and justice.

From a review linked above, "When you ask people moral questions, time their responses and scan their brains, their answers and brain activation patterns indicate that they reach conclusions quickly and produce reasons later only to justify what they’ve decided."

• jgnat
    jgnat

Adamah, in case you come back for a visit, I did not contribute to this thread because I thought it a stellar subject to bring up to an ex-JW to make them think. The question is broader to any thinking Christian as to the nature of the God they follow.

Sure, my request to provide a one-sentence answer to the dillemma offered by Cofty was a little snarky, in response to a snarky request by Caliber for a one-sentence description of the complexity of God. I did not find Caliber's reasoning to be that well-crafted, as he had not considered that there are better answers.

• besty
    besty

@flamegrilled - you are giving God a free pass on natural disasters because 0.1% potential disconfirmation* of your worldview is an acceptable cost to you

atheists (me, us, cofty, whoever) have used a different scale in our observation. Massive scale death of the innocents are yet more evidence 'He' probably doesn't exist.

* " If a good friend told you the truth 999 times, but then said said something that appeared to be untruthful..."

• flamegrilled
    flamegrilled

@flamegrilled - you are giving God a free pass on natural disasters because 0.1% potential disconfirmation* of your worldview is an acceptable cost to you

atheists (me, us, cofty, whoever) have used a different scale in our observation. Massive scale death of the innocents are yet more evidence 'He' probably doesn't exist.

Well this is part of the problem. Using 250K, as if the quantity multiplies up the evidence, is not logical given the matter under consideration. As I have stated many times whether it 1 person or 250K, it's still one question.

• jgnat
    jgnat

So if one person is betrayed by God, we can challenge His existence or His compassion? (If quantity does not matter).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit