The Pastor of my Old Church Tried to Re-Convert Me Yesterday

by cofty 2596 Replies latest jw experiences

• cofty
    cofty

It truly amazes me how you make these many assertions that I've said certain things that I haven't even come close to saying.

I said "you and other aplogists on this thread". So the "you" that follows is plural and general.

Try reading before you rant.

• Viviane
    Viviane

Do you think he'd give them the time of day?

Strawman. Cofty said "don't preach" and "be succinct". Those are NOT mutually exclusive requests, said nothing about tone and he did not limit you to 100 words.

• jgnat
    jgnat

The picture is not clear. Got it. It's a mystery.

TelevisionStatic

• flamegrilled
    flamegrilled

I said "you and other aplogists on this thread". So the "you" that follows is plural and general.

Try reading before you rant.

If I said I accuse you AND every other xyz of action abc, I think you would expect to see some evidence that you had indeed engaged in action abc.

Try thinking before you write and rant.

• Viviane
    Viviane

So, rather than waste posts ranting about how you're terribly maligned and misrepresented, can you succintly give us the big picture?
    It's a given God exists, we have already seen that an unknown ugraspable unknown can't be used in any decision making, so how is allowing ~250K people to drown an act of love.

Take your time.

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

Flamegrilled. I have no intention of repeating what others have spent many pages explaining. You don’t give the impression that you want to have a focused debate, but rather, you seem to be trying to make others metaphorically chase their tails for your own amusement.

I'm sure you are a clever man, but you are too evasive to be taken seriously. In this debate you have failed to move the indomitable Cofty away from his mission. Just my observation; no doubt your mileage will vary - considerably.

As you keep repeating the same words, allow me to do the same:

Most of your evasive posts appear to be an attempt to take the thread off-topic. Were you to explain why you personally believe in the God of the Bible and how you justify his lack of action regarding the tsunami in question, you would be spot on topic.

• flamegrilled
    flamegrilled

But faced with the monumental scale of grief of an Asian tsunami you resort to the pathetic excuse of what was the point of preventing one natural disaster. HYPOCRITE!

Calm down Cofty. Your atheistic righteous indignation is probably bad for you.

Yet again you are misquoting me. I never asked what the point would have been of preventing one natural disaster. As with all your other groundless assertions the unbiased reader simply needs to read what I wrote to confirm this.

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

This is getting ridiculous now.... Pages and pages of christians trying their best to simply not discuss tsunami's, god and morality.

If you dont have the answer, say so or say nothing. Don't rewrite the question and answer it and then claim everyone is being unreasonable for not accepting your version of the question.

The fact they all insist to deviate to analogies and embarassing attempts at algebra is just infuriating.

We are discussing dead children, babies and adults in a natural disaster, in my mind it is disrespectful, dishonest and disingeneous to constantly try to reduce those dead humans to 'sick dogs' or math. We know what you are doing, you are removing emotion and attachment but NO we won't let you, emotion and the value of human life IS THE POINT.

If you can't discuss the issue without deviating, don't bother, there is no logical need to use anything but the actual events to explain away how and why it does not negate a moral god. There is NO NEED to use analogies, math or anything else. EXPLAIN IT IN REAL TERMS, this was not an analogy, real people died in mass numbers. You claim to think god is real, his bible is real. So use this REAL event in your explination as the OP asked. Simple

or give in..... admit that it is contradictory and confusing, even if you chose to remain a believer.

• Viviane
    Viviane

Cofty was speaking in the plural and that most certainly was an argument that was made, so....

So, rather than waste posts ranting about how you're terribly maligned and misrepresented, can you succintly give us the big picture?

It's a given God exists, we have already seen that an unknown ugraspable unknown can't be used in any decision making, so how is allowing ~250K people to drown an act of love.

Take your time.

• flamegrilled
    flamegrilled

In this debate you have failed to move the indomitable Cofty away from his mission.

I never thought for a moment that Cofty was to be moved from his mission. But it's a forum which others will read and decide for themselves whether Cofty's arguments are valid.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit