The Pastor of my Old Church Tried to Re-Convert Me Yesterday

by cofty 2596 Replies latest jw experiences

• Simon
    Simon

But in dismissing this variable you implied an assumption that all the cost would be to God.

As I said earlier, God could eliminate all human suffering – natural and otherwise – by painlessly eliminating all humans. How do you like the cost of that solution Simon? You are possibly right that it costs God nothing in the grand scheme.

The 'cost' in energy to stop a storm on one small planet or just communicate with a single species in a clear and concise manner is surely inconsequential next to the power and might of the omnipotent creator of the entire cosmos isn't it if that's what you believe he is?

Trying to twist it to "kill everyone then" is really setting up a straw-man because where did I suggest that as a possibility? Maybe not starting the process that he knew in advance would come to this would have been a good idea. Heck, maybe just being forgiving when the first couple sinned like a loving parent would might have been a start (again, if you believe the utterly rediculous story at all).

Eliminating all human life would end suffering (assuming god could for once do a clean and quick job of it - not the ham-fisted mess he's made of every other endeavor of his) but it does sound a little nazi-esque doesn it? Like some sort of 'final solution' ...

Oh, but wait ... that is pretty much god's plan isn't it?! He is promising to kill 99.999% of people!

Oh, I must go and worship this ever so clever, ever so intelligent, super kind and loving being.

I spit in his face - he's a pathetic invention of twisted minds, a psycotic monster planning genocide ... and we're supposed to be impressed by him?

• adamah
    adamah

Bohm said-

Holy cow that never occured to me before! Is this those brown people I keep hearing about? Did you know the moon is smaller than the sun but larger than an orange?

Uh, I was actually agreeing with your point, and providing an example?

Viviane said- Oh, it's not JUST doing that, it's casting in sharp relief the real underlying question, WHY is there absolutely no way to get information and why are any potential reason why so uncomfortable?

AND

Viviane said-Sorry, it should have read "reasons" in plural, not "reason" in singular. Otherwise, it makes perfect sense.

So what you really meant to write was this:

Oh, it's not JUST doing that, it's casting in sharp relief the real underlying question, WHY is there absolutely no way to get information and why are any potential reasons why so uncomfortable?

And that makes "perfect sense" to YOU?

PS on this:

Adam said- However, you went off the rails with the part in bold, falsely concluding my words were prescriptive, and not merely descriptive of the current situation. That's a classic example of the "naturalistic fallacy", confusing the description of 'what is' for an argument that is prescriptive, arguing for 'what ought' to be, as if I was defending theology).

Viviane said- Then perhaps you ought not write it as if that's what they should be doing, for example "Hence, the theist's refusal and/or inability to answer is NOT a sign of irrationality, but it's actually a step in the right direction, the ONLY rational response they could provide!". It's not a fallacy on my part if you are going to retconn strawman your own argument to say what you want it say, not what you actually said.

What you're referring to is "moving the goalposts", and I didn't do that, either. Try again.

Don't blame me for your extrapolating what was specific advice on a single issue (theodicy) to other areas (theism); you inappropriately over-interpreted my words, despite my repeated efforts to avoid such conclusion. That's ALL on your head, Jack.

That's silly, since as an atheist for the last half-century (who lost my JW family as a result of deciding to adopt a rationalist approach to go to college and eventually earn a doctorate), the odds are great I've likely had more motivation, time, and opportunity to investigate the question of theology than many here, including learning of physiology and psychological roots that explain WHY religious beliefs are so pervasive and tenacious within the human mind (even while many here were still knocking on doors with WT/Awake! in hand, trying to 'save' others!).

Viviane said- That's an interesting appeal to your own authority and special pleading for yourself all wrapped into one. Like I said before, yes, you're very smart, but so are a lot of people here, at least as smart as you. Your condescending attitude and acting like you are smarter than everyone else won't get you far. (You also commited the anecdotal and composition fallacies in that last statement. Do they give refunds on doctorates?)

Dude, r u 4 realz?

You've mastering the not-so-difficult art of getting yourself lost in the forest for the trees, since most anyone who possesses even a SHRED of intellectual honesty would simply apologize after someone pointed out their "naturalization" fallacy, rather than only digging themselves in deeper.

Instead, are you really trying to claim that people don't have the right to appeal to their personal experience to justify holding their own personal beliefs, whether atheists or theists?

Holy Hades, Viviane, that's absurd beyond imagination, since it's as if you're completely unaware of the 'freedom of thought' doctine, a fundamental liberty encapsulated in the Bill of Rights which guarantees to all the right to their opinion; it's a concept that is basis of many OTHER individual liberties (eg freedom of speech, freedom of religious belief, doctrine of informed consent, etc)?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_of_thought

I am telling YOU that I AM an atheist: you have NO INFLUENCE on my brain (and even less so, after seeing your 'command' of logic and reasoning), as it's not your brain to form an opinion.

NO ONE has the right to DECIDE for others, and no one needs to appeal to ANYTHING to justify THEIR personal beliefs to others, so your entire argument is hogwash and perhaps of value to those living in cookoo land.

It's almost as if you still carry some of that JW baggage, eg Jesus said people DIDN'T have the right to their own thoughts (eg looking at a women with lust in one's heart was tantamount to committing adultery)? Some here voluntarily sacrificed the right to their own beliefs by voluntarily joining a religious CULT which took away their freedom of thoughts...

Adam

• Bart Belteshassur
    Bart Belteshassur

jgnat - I do not recall reading your post in relation to your view, can you direct me to it?

Thanks

BB

• Viviane
    Viviane

Adamah, it's clear you think you are smarter than every one else here, that you think of yourself as the self-appointed logic polic, but you aren't and you aren't. You're Barney Fife bragging about your credentials and trying to flood anyone that points out your mistakes when you try to correct others with a wall of text just like Tec, as per the norm, when someone can't really defend their arguments you, like many fallen before you, start the "your're still thinking like a JW" in an attempt to minimize arguments, you make strawmen of others arguments and try to knock them down, blah blah blah.

You're become the Anti-type Tec. I just need to think of a nifty name for in that regard.

Anyway, you're wall of text is wrong and boring, Barney. Put your bullet back in your shirt pocket, it's a blank.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Bart, for you, anything! Just kidding. After 71 pages I wore out. Try post 21681 on page 8 and 21693 on page 26.

• adamah
    adamah

Viviane, just ignore everything I write, and I'll do the same for you, m'kay? Problem solved.

• cofty
    cofty

Adam. Most of your posts can be summarised as - "Everybody is an imbecile with the exception of Adam".

You are a distraction from the actual conversation. Maybe that is deliberate.

Bart Belt - that is a fair synopsis.

Summary so far...

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I often complain to myself that we do not get a good quality JW Apologist on here any more, one that could give us pages and pages of sport.

It seems as though we really are not getting a good quality Theist on here either.

Maybe I will play Devil's Advocate.

I just need a few more beers first.

• DJS
    DJS

Vivane,

You have taken over my role as a sarcastic wise ass. I'm impressed; you are better than I at it. I will have to re-double my efforts. Spot on and well done.

• Bart Belteshassur
    Bart Belteshassur

Cofty- The problem then as defined is that if God is Perfect Love and if he comits an action which is the opposite of Perfect Love, the christain theology is flawed because he can not be defined as Perfect Love as this is an absolute.

However does his non action in a given situation constitute the opposite of Perfect Love, and I would argue it does not.

If the Perfect love is absolute, then two actions of it will not be double Perfect, it will and can only remain perfect.

It also is true that an action of perfection can only be nullified by the opposite action, and therefore a non action which by definition is nothing can not have any effect on the perfect action.

Therefore we can describe these actions as mathmatical functions:

Perfect Love = 1

Non action = 0

Opposite PL = -1

As shown 1+1 = 1 then addition is not a funtion that can be used to combine the effects of two actions of perfect love. The function which controls perfect love action can only be 1x1=1.

So this proves that the funtion in this problem is the product of the two actions.

Therefore: 1x1=1, 0x0=0, and -1x-1=1

So logic and reason prove that two opposite actions of perfect love equal perfect love.

I will admit that in the singular event this is not the case, but we are looking at actions in the real world and as the Japanese tsunami is a second event then the above proof holds true. To disprove this it needs to be shown that the total number of natural disaster event are always an odd number.

Please pick out the flaws in this as I can not see them at present although I don't except it can this simple.

BB

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit