The Pastor of my Old Church Tried to Re-Convert Me Yesterday

by cofty 2596 Replies latest jw experiences

• Simon
    Simon

Bringing up 'cost' in the analogy is a red herring and a cop-out.

Isn't god supposed to be limitless? To have created the entire universe? To be omnipotent? It costs him nothing to act.

But now he has to conserve power and cant stop a storm on one teeny planet? Heck, he can't even bother to send an explanation, to clarify anything in his terribly written book?

Omnipotent, loving, existing ... pick one to go. But of course you won't because if any one goes then the whole story collapses like the house of cards we know that it is. In the same way that if one bible story is given up as just a story then the whole thing crumbles beneath the wrecking ball of logic.

We know why theists won't answer the questions - there are no answers where theism survives and they like their opium.

• Simon
    Simon

re: the boy in the woods analogy Having the person be the narrator makes it harder to logically conclude that the person then doesn't exist.

It would be better to say that a child dies from spending a week in the woods with a broken leg. *if* someone saw him and didnt help, at no cost, then they are an evil monster. The other possibility is that the observer didn't exist - no one was ther to see or help the child.

Analogies shouldn't substantially change the story.

• Viviane
    Viviane

Flamegrilled, once you admit you are just make (as I pointed out to you days ago) the "it's a mystery" argument, you just need to go back and read why that was already addressed .

If you want to start a thread about how long to wait before making a decision, please do that, but it's a little OT here to keep hammering on that when you've already been shown that waiting on a possible unknown ungraspable unknown to make a decision is a flawed approach. If you want to come up with some clear analogies to discuss, you can start a thread!

• bohm
    bohm

Simon: The purpose of the analogy with the boy in the woods is only to show a conflict between a narrator being perfectly loving and leaving a child to die. I feel it is such an obvious point, but most of the responses on this thread has tried to undermine that conclusion one way or another, or tried to describe other situations (the dog who does not like medication).

The analogy is very nearly as close to reality as an analogy can be since boys do get lost and die in the woods from time to time and we are assured by the theists God is both there to see them die and has the power to call for help. For some reason theists have an easy time accepting that untill you change the single word "God" to "Bob" and all of a sudden they see the contradiction.

I feel the analogy is valid because it show you can remove all available information except the two relevant pieces (having the power to interveen, ie. call for help) and someone actually suffering and the problem still persist, and one can include one extra piece of speculation at a time (the person seing the boy is not responsible for his suffering, he cannot be expected to interveen all the time, etc. etc.) and it does not change the basic contradiction.

This remove all options except to assert it is just different for god without giving a justification. If a person accept that explanation he accept special pleading and one cannot expect to change his mind with reason anyway.

The conclusion the narrator does not exist cannot follow, ofcourse, but the problem of evil is only to point out the contradiction between being loving and allowing the suffering we see. It is the christian who then insist it is either a perfectly loving god or no god at all. This is in itself psychologically rather strange since if we assume all of natural theology works (kallam and all the jazz) he should just accept god is the devil and be done with it.

• Simon
    Simon

Yes, I just wanted to change it slightly because people seemed to already be wanting to use it as a logical argument that god must exist.

No. I'm saying that Cofty couldn't logcally conclude that you didn't exist, or perhaps more specifically that he shouldn't conclude that he has access to more information than you do if you are a super-intelligent and/or super-sentient being.

I think the reality in all this is as I think someone already pointed out maybe a page or two back:

atheists are athesists because they look at the evidence and conclude there is none for the existence of god (certainly not a loving one who deserves worship)

theists already believe in a god and desparately try to find or invent evidence to support their faith even though the evidence is typically stories that make no sense and 'mysteries'

That's ok - people can believe whatever they want. If they start stating things as though they should be accepted facts then they should be proepared to be challenged on their claims and rediculed if the reasoning they present is particularly circular or devoid of facts or logic.

• adamah
    adamah

Pelican Beach said- If believers are faulted for believing in the unseen are atheists to be credited for believing the unseen does not exist? Which side can be said to have an open mind?

You seem to have a very-skewed definition of what it means to be 'open-minded', as well as the benefits of 'open-mindedness'?

I'd argue that many theists have a tendency to let their minds get stuck in the 'wide-open' position, due to their acceptance of the benefits of 'faith', a tendency which allows them to accept beliefs without any compelling evidence to justify. Problem is some allow a faith-based approach to spill over to other decisions, including the decisions they make for others (eg pro-life issue ongoing in Texas, with a dead woman kept on "life support" against the families wishes).

Many atheists are skeptics, adopting the approach of not believing in 'things' until AFTER sufficient compelling reason has been presented to justify an acceptance. Skeptics strive to use a more-selective filter that attempts to keep unjustified ideas (eg, pixies) at bay, while only allowing 'justified true beliefs' in, i.e. ones which they can offer REASONS for holding.

However, many who self-identify as atheists are not granted any special immunity to cognitive biases (such as confirmation bias, seeing only evidence they WANT to see), and many carry over the same cognitive burdens from their days of religious thinking so the use the same ol' "sticking thinking" (bad logic) of religious beliefs, except they're now trying to score goals for the new 'team'.

Oh, on believing in 'unseen things': atheists believe in radio waves, unseen and intangible forces that are undetectable without the use of a device built for the purpose (eg an AM/FM radio). Tos deny the existence of electromagetic waves would be delusional, like the schizophrenic who believes the gov't intercept and interpret his thoughts from afar by radio waves.

However, the theist spends time praying, based on the concept of unknown Heavenly beings who are able to intercept and interpret his thoughts from afar (by some unknown mechanism, since it's NOT by radio waves). But since 85% of the World believes and acts as they do, what's preventing anyone from calling the practice as 'delusional' BESIDES an "appeal to popularity" defense ("everyone ELSE does it, too")?

Adam said- But your suggestion only raises the question:

How is a believer expected to obtain information from God, explaining to us WHY God failed to intercede on the tsunami of 2004?

Viviane said- Oh, it's not JUST doing that, it's casting in sharp relief the real underlying question, WHY is there absolutely no way to get information and why are any potential reason why so uncomfortable?

Huh? Can you clarify?

Despite the incomprehensibility of the part in bold, I suspect you're simply 'begging the question', rephrasing the very question being asked in the thread. And from your next sentence, I think I get what you're try to say.

Viviane said- It's an invitation to dig, not to stop thinking. That's the only way come up with any potential answer to anything, to keep asking questions. Everything you wrote suggest stopping thinking is the rational answer, and that's the real wrong answer.

Sure, I agree with "invitation to dig" concept, and even with your conclusion, since the act of pointing out those "thought-stopping" concepts buried within the lines of the Bible is required, since theists cannot begin to question something they may not have even noticed until AFTER others point specific examples (as I just did, above).

However, you went off the rails with the part in bold, falsely concluding my words were prescriptive, and not merely descriptive of the current situation. That's a classic example of the "naturalistic fallacy", confusing the description of 'what is' for an argument that is prescriptive, arguing for 'what ought' to be, as if I was defending theology).

That's silly, since as an atheist for the last half-century (who lost my JW family as a result of deciding to adopt a rationalist approach to go to college and eventually earn a doctorate), the odds are great I've likely had more motivation, time, and opportunity to investigate the question of theology than many here, including learning of physiology and psychological roots that explain WHY religious beliefs are so pervasive and tenacious within the human mind (even while many here were still knocking on doors with WT/Awake! in hand, trying to 'save' others!).

I'm arguing FOR skepticism and rationality, a commitment that encourages LEADS people to ask big uncomfortable questions (like why the Bible contains so many Appeals to Divine authority as 'thought stoppers', if not to make them more malleable and easier to control).

Simon said-

Does it 'make no sense' to criticise theist belief? Hell no! I say the only rational and human thing to do is to redicule it mercilessly and show it up for what it is - a con, a massive trick foistered on people, used over and over throughout history to captivate, control and subdue the weak minded and vulnerable and to create armies when raw body count was a good measure of military success. Really, redicule is the very least that it deserves.

You're preaching to the choir here, since as I said above, I've personally paid the price of irrational beliefs in my personal life and understand the pain.

But you mischaracterize my position, since if you've read anything I've written on my blog or posts, you'd know I have NO problem criticizing and challenging theist beliefs; only I'm NOT willing to throw out the rules of logic to do so!

To throw out principle of logic and rationality in the name of challenging theism is the non-believers form of "special pleading", appealing for some kind of "exception to policy" in the name of meeting a special goal of toppling delusional beliefs. Sorry, but rationalists call theists on their BS when they engage in "special pleading" (eg asking us to tentatively accept their vapid presuppositionalist-based arguments to prove a God exists), but the same holds true when a non-believer engages in special pleading to forget about those basic principles of rational thought in a debate (likely relying on teleological-based "ends justify the means" rationale).

The irony is most rationalists would likely agree that the long-term solution to theological-driven thinking (which includes theodocies) IS learning to use and apply the principles of logic when investigating one's beliefs. But some would paradoxically be willing to throw out the same time-honored principles and rules, the very basis of the "cure"? I point out flawed arguments and fallacies when I see them, since ultimately eroding the cure threatens the long-term SOLUTION to the problem of theological irrationalism and dogmatism (where it should be clear that believers have no monopoly on dogmatism, either).

The same rules apply to BOTH sides, and theists DO have a legitimate beef of complaining of favortism and obvious biases since 'the game' is rigged against them to favor the house; that's why many are refusing to enter an 80-page "kangaroo court" where it's clear the deck is stacked against them, since their evidence is suppressed and ignored and deprecated, even when they offer valid defense.

Ultimately we don't need to ignore the rules of logic: those opposing irrational beliefs have the FACTS on their side, so we don't have to cheat to 'win'. The facts alone speak for themselves, and the truth itself is sufficient.

Adam

• adamah
    adamah

Bohm said-

We never have all possible information. In the case of the abusive husband, she might say: Who are you go guess which reasons he may have for beating me? Do you know *everything* relevant to my relationship with him? Do you know *everything* about my husband? If yet he beat her at an inch of her life again and again, would we not at some point say: "Yes I dont have all information, but until I get that I am justified in concluding he is a bastard and now i am going to call the police".

I do not know everything there is to know about the world or about ethics.

That's proven by your conclusion, which reflects your bias to Western cultural norms, and lack of exposure to others.

You may be unaware of different cultural norms, since in many African cultures (eg Nigeria) a husband is EXPECTED to beat his wife as a show of affection and love for her, such that a husband who fails to beat his wife is seen by her as a sign that he no longer LOVES her. (YES, wifes will cry and be upset saying that her husband no longer loves her, since he FAILS to beat her.) Nigerian law actually permits the practice, just as long as the husband doesn't chop off any legs, arms, etc.

http://www.punchng.com/feature/encounter/abolish-native-laws-that-allow-wife-beating-ezeilo/

Adam

• bohm
    bohm

Simon: that type of response is just a matter of poor logic and should be easily corrected later once it is agreed there is a contradiction between being perfectly loving and eg. leaving someone to die.

The reply can also be used for other formulations of the problem of evil, for instance if one says: "The problem of evil is if a perfectly loving god exist why does he allow so much suffering as we observe?" a theist could reply: "yes but you said IF god exist so your entire argument rest on the premise God exist and can do things, for instance preventing evil, therefore it would not be logical to conclude on that basis god should not exist because you have assumed so much".

this sort of reply is only used because the person is not used to proof by contradiction and it is easily sorted out later.

Adamah:

That's proven by your conclusion, which reflects your bias to Western cultural norms.

Some may be unaware of different cultural norms found in large region of the World,

Holy cow that never occured to me before! Is this those brown people I keep hearing about?

Did you know the moon is smaller than the sun but larger than an orange?

• Viviane
    Viviane

Huh? Can you clarify?

Despite the incomprehensibility of the part in bold, I suspect you're simply 'begging the question', rephrasing the very question being asked in the thread. And from your next sentence, I think I get what you're try to say.

Sorry, it should have read "reasons" in plural, not "reason" in singular. Otherwise, it makes perfect sense.

However, you went off the rails with the part in bold, falsely concluding my words were prescriptive, and not merely descriptive of the current situation. That's a classic example of the "naturalistic fallacy", confusing the description of 'what is' for an argument that is prescriptive, arguing for 'what ought' to be, as if I was defending theology).

Then perhaps you ought not write it as if that's what they should be doing, for example "Hence, the theist's refusal and/or inability to answer is NOT a sign of irrationality, but it's actually a step in the right direction, the ONLY rational response they could provide!".

It's not a fallacy on my part if you are going to retconn strawman your own argument to say what you want it say, not what you actually said.

That's silly, since as an atheist for the last half-century (who lost my JW family as a result of deciding to adopt a rationalist approach to go to college and eventually earn a doctorate), the odds are great I've likely had more motivation, time, and opportunity to investigate the question of theology than many here, including learning of physiology and psychological roots that explain WHY religious beliefs are so pervasive and tenacious within the human mind (even while many here were still knocking on doors with WT/Awake! in hand, trying to 'save' others!).

That's an interesting appeal to your own authority and special pleading for yourself all wrapped into one. Like I said before, yes, you're very smart, but so are a lot of people here, at least as smart as you. Your condescending attitude and acting like you are smarter than everyone else won't get you far. (You also commited the anecdotal and composition fallacies in that last statement. Do they give refunds on doctorates?)

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

What I don’t get, is why believers have to devote their lives to defending their god and his lack of action. Is he unaware of the consternation and anguish they suffer down here on this muddy little planet at the hands of Athiests?

This limp-wristed god wouldn’t last a minute in the Roman arena. He stood by and watched an estimated 17,000 Christians, including women and children, tortured to death in the most agonising way the Romans could think up. This is justified because Christ allegedly prophesied it would happen for the sake of his name.

God couldn’t help Christians then and he can’t now. If I was a Christian I would want a refund.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit