My parents threw me away

by mzmmom 37 Replies latest jw experiences

• jgnat
  • rebel8
    rebel8

I like to think of this as my space to work out what happened to me, without intrusions from my mother.

• HappyDad
    HappyDad

Whoa........I love the response Simon gave. It hit the nail on the head. Good go Simon.

HappyDad

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

JW's who strictly shun and treat their family as dead are in breach of 1 Timothy 5:8. Providing for one's relatives naturally includes not only physical needs but basic emotional needs.

New International Version
    Anyone who does not provide for their relatives, and especially for their own household, has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever.

At Mark 7:11-12, Jesus also censured those who forsook the needs of their family by claiming that some religious obligation was more important. Although Jesus was talking about material needs here, the principle remains the same that one must treat ones relatives with love and kindness, and shunning them as dead is certainly against that.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

abusers play the victim sometimes. I think the mother's response was a bit of self-justification, blaming everyone but herself for the consequences of following those evil old men in Brooklyn

• smiddy
    smiddy

Where does "shunning" occur in the parable of the prodigal son ?

smiddy

• Bruja-del-Sol
    Bruja-del-Sol

Can imagine how this feels for mzmmom.... the last thing on earth that I would want to happen is my mother showing up here! For me it would definitely mean that I would never post again on the forum. (Lucky for me my mother doesn't speak/read English).

And of course, every story has two sides... but what I read from this mother is one big 'blame game', it's all about what the 'child' has done wrong, and complaining how hard it is for her... Not a word of empathy or understanding about how hard it is for her daughter... Not a very open position for a reconciliation imho.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

This is really difficult for both Mzmmom and her mother but I would just like to quote

from Catching Fire if I may and say 'Remember who the real enemy is'.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit