I've been studying.........

by bchapp 49 Replies latest jw friends

• bchapp
    bchapp

I have been studying with the JW's for several years. They have been pressuring me to become one of them, but something seems to be holding me back, instinct maybe? I agree a lot of their teaching are good, and I'm sure are the truth but here are a few of the things that bother me: JW's use the scripture Hebrews 10:25 not forsaking the gathering of yourselves together...... to justify their meetings. Did the early Christians gather together for 5 meetings a week every week? I think not. Then there's the issue about going door to door, they say that's how it was done in Jesus' day, but did Jesus use car groups? Why does a God how loves peace call himself "Jehovah of Armies"? Or shouldn't it really be Yahweh? And then there's the Sabath, why do the sneer at other religions that follow the Sabath, isn't it important? How many times is the Sabbath mentioned in the bible as compared to say Birthdays? Does anybody have any suggestions, comments or answers? Please I would really like to hear what you have to say.

• Celia
    Celia

Welcome, BChapp

goods questions.
    Have you read Crisis of Conscience by Ray Franz ?
    Good place to start.
    Order it at your bookstore or at the Commentary press website.
    http://www.commentarypress.com/

• TR
    TR

bchap,

Welcome!

Yes, like Celia says, READ! And not WTS publications!

TR

UADNA-WA
    Unseen Apostate Directorate of North America- Washington Division

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Studying for several years bchapp? I'm sure it's not because you're a slow learner! So it must be that you remain unconvinced.

My advice: Listen to your heart!

Cheers,
    Ozzie

P.S. Welcome aboard. Stick around, won't you.

"If our hopes for peace are placed in the hands of imperfect people, they are bound to evaporate."

- Ron Hutchcraft Surviving the Storms of Stress

• Angharad
    Angharad

Hi Bchapp

Welcome to the forum, I sure you'll find lots of answers here.

I recommend you do lots of research before you commit to anything. There are some links at the bottom of the page which are good places to start. Also if you look back through the achives of the forum there are loads of good threads with people's reasearch in them

• Fatal Error
    Fatal Error

Hi bchapp

You're right, some of the things they teach are wrong, purely and simply because their interpretation goes beyond what the bible actually says. Inregards of the meetings, it's just a ploy to take up your time and limit your association with the real world. The door to door issue comes from the fact that right at the start of the movemnt, there were some "witnesses" who acted as colporteurs, or door to door salesmen, peddling Russells's Studies books. BTW, try and have a read of those, they're enough to have you seriously questioning the foundation of many of the Society's teachings. What early christians actually did, was just talk to those interested, they didn't "sell" anything, only inform, and the mention of being welcomed into an interested person's home is brought up by the witnesses, in context it was purely to indicate that a christian should be willing to teach, and not go knocking on doors, hoping to be invited in. And you're right about Yahweh, see other posts on the board.
    Some of this might be slightly off, but I'ver only been studying for a couple of months... I'd recommend reading your way through this site, it'll answer many of your questions!

• Room 215
    Room 215

Hi Bchapp..

Of course, much of what you've learned sounds great... as it does to me.

But never forget the injunction to ``Make sure of ALL THINGS'' because once you're baptised, you may find the door to further inqiry slams shut.

In this as in all other human endeavors, there are at least two sides to any issue. Do as you please, but do your homework first.

NOW'S THE TIME TO DO YOUR HOMEWORK!

• LB
    LB
    going door to door,

I wonder how many return visits Christ would make on the householders???

Never Squat With Yer Spurs On

• Fatal Error
    Fatal Error

I'm sure they would all sit on a rock and plan which rows of huts they were gonna work on that morning, and place bets on how many heathens each would baptise...

• LizardSnot
    LizardSnot

You dont need the witnesses to show you what the bible means.
    Please read it for yourself :)

25 At that time Jesus said, "I praise you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and learned, and revealed them to little children.

-Matt. 11:25

Lizard

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit