If You Were Still "In The Truth" What Type of Life Would You Have?

by minimus 36 Replies latest jw friends

• DeWandelaar
    DeWandelaar

I would have an even more boring life then I already have :D

• designs
    designs

Just had a flashback to the last ten years I was in

• GoneAwol
    GoneAwol

I would be locked up because a couple of elders had had their heads ripped off by moi! And then the heads placed in the stupid plastic flower arrangments on the stupid platform! Just saying...

GA

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

Billy said it all, I wouldn't have made it either. Five years of clinical depression and people telling me I was spiritually sick and the Watchtower telling me not to take antidepressants because they were addictive. Oh yes that's what they said 25 years ago.

Instead tomorrow I'm opening presents from my daughter, born after leaving the cult. She wouldn't be here either if I'd stayed in the 'Truth'. Also presents from the friends I've made since leaving.

Edited to add I remember what the Watchtower said if you had depression, get outside and dig in the dirt! Thanks WTS, you nearly killed me.

• quellycatface
    quellycatface

I would be drinking a lot. I would have also told some home truths to a few dubs that drove me crazy and paying the price for my honesty, Even more depressed, like Julia. Not celebrating Christmas, which I am doing this year. First time in 14 years. Yay.

I would like to say a Big Thank You to everyone who has helped me, esp comments on my first post "A difficult congregation" which finally gave me the courage to leave.

Bless ya. XX

• minimus
    minimus

I would be angry man.

• bafh
    bafh

I would have killed myself too. In fact, I tried at 26. By the time I stopped going to meetings, I was less depressed, but having full on anxiety attacks in the KH. Those stopped when I stopped going. For me, the scruitiny, and social clicks, and talks about "are you doing all you can??????" just added up to me wanting to run out screaming.

I realize that underneath, it was about knowing that I was not a "true believer" and never was and the anxiety about being found out. Now, the only place I have to really hide it is with my family. My mom is a pioneer, and a true believer. It's not my place to judge someone else's faith. So, I'm open, accepting, and pleasant about it.

Since I've left, I have made a few friends through Meetup, or by being on a board. I'm introverted enough to make making friends a challenge for me, and I am a little lonely, so I'm working on making more connections. I'm reaching out to some of the people I know who have already left that I actually connected with - I just have to keep it on the down low. As I'm trying to make my way, I've come to see how artificial the social environment is because you always have "instant friends" - they are superficial, boring and will stab you in the back - but you have like a TON of 'em. How great is that???

I think it is sort of hard making friends after that sort of conditioning, and I have been considering going back....I'm not sure I could do it, but I'm considering it.

• mrquik
    mrquik

Pretty much the same. I already had serious doubts. Was taking the Harley across the US without the ex. as often as possible. Probably would not have the tattoos.

• nancy drew
    nancy drew

Outlaw

• Theredeemer
    Theredeemer

I really think I would have eventually lost it completely. The first time I left I was contemplating suicide. It was during this time that I decided to leave both my ex-wife and the org. I ended up going back for while a little before I remarried just to give it one more shot but it was torture to sit there and hear all the nonsense! Thankfully, my wife learned the TTATT and it was all over. If we would have stayed I think the elders would have eventually tried to drive her away from me and I would have been forced to make a decision to continue "trying" or disassociate.

I cant imagine being a witness and not having some kind of doubt. I mean the foundations of every single belief that they hold is on very very weak ground built on pure assumptions or flat out lies! If its not the generation teaching its the 144000, the annointed, the blood issue, pedophilia, 607, 1914 and it goes on and on.

My sister is has been a witness all her life. She is like a second mom/sister to me. She was "heatbroken" when my wife and I made our descision. However, over the last year, and after numerous converstaions as to why I left, she conceded the other day that, "everything I say is true, but its too late for her". This is all she knows.

If you are a witness for no doubts whatsoever, then you are a shiny happy person. But you are also a very, very small minority in a 7 million person world that is the JW. There are people that can live life and completely swallow everything they are fed, whether from parents, a religion, a government, teachers, peers, coporate bosses or the media. They will not question, not stand up and definitely not fight against lies or betrayal. I believe its a form of laziness, mental laziness.They are content in just being drug along a river that leads to nowhere.

Thankfully, most of us here have shown in some form or another that we are not mentally lazy! We paddle against the current. Thats why many of us can thanfully answer this question as a "What if" question!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit