Ray Franz

by thedog1 27 Replies latest jw friends

• thedog1
    thedog1

Am reading CoC at the moment, about half way through. Just finished reading some of the details of what happened in Malawi and Mexico years ago. Which reminded me that in the early 80's a very well known elder in the country I was then living in went to New York as he had discovered all the discrepencies between what had happened in Malawi and in Mexico and wanted to know what the GB had to say about it. Anyway, he did not get a satisfactory answer and proceeded to demonstrate outside the gates of the district convention in relation to this and other issues. At the time he was completely demonised by the local bros and we were warned not to listen to him. I thought at the time that he was a terrible apostate as he took most of his local congregation with him when he left the org. I had heard rumours of the Mexico situation but until tonight when i read the part in CoC about it I never understood what had really happened. It only took me about 30 years to catch up!

• cantleave
    cantleave

Thedog - I had exactly the same response when I read that section. I recalled the letter writing to the authorities in Malawi in the 1970's but was not at all cognizant of the situation in Mexico. Ray's book really opened my eyes on this one too.

• thedog1
    thedog1

Ray Franz makes a big point of the fact that the org never really admitted it was wrong for all the changes in doctrine and expectations for 1914, and then attempted to shift the blame to the ordinary bros and sis for expecting things that never took place. The org has often quoted the example of Saul as someone who minimised his own mistakes and shifted the blame to others for things he was really responsible for. Shame they don't fess up and take the blame themselves once in a while. What would be wrong with honesty? We can respect someone who honestly admits a mistake and tries to change. But if he doesn't...

• Ding
    Ding

Sounds like what happened to Merriman and May from Ireland.

I think there's a Youtube interview with them describing their experience.

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

That is the thing I ask myself every day is "how I could of been so totally unaware."

• KateWild
    KateWild

thedog1,

I did not hear a whisper of anything until I read CoC. It socked the pants off me seriously, I felt betrayed and abused. I am okay now, how are you doing?

Love Sam xx

• whathappened
    whathappened

The Watchtower Society is racist and there is no doubt about it once you learn of the Mexico-Malawi scandal.

• Captain Blithering
    Captain Blithering

I felt the same, I had no idea that had gone on at all. I remember being told to pray for our brothers in Malawi as a kid, never heard a word about Mexico... Is the whole situation verifyable from any other outside sources? The reason I ask is cos I clearly can't bring it up in conversation without revealing my source, which would land me in hot water!

• satinka
    satinka

Reading C of C removed a veil from my eyes. After reading Ray Franz' book I no longer saw the WT organization as "god's channel" and that was such an eye-opener for me! After reading C of C I saw the WT society as nothing but a book publishing company who exploited its distributors by making them go door-to-door selling books and publications without pay. All the $$$ went into the WT coffers and the top brass lived like kings at its members expense.

It was easier for me to move on with my life and never look back at my perceived losses. I was so much better off after leaving I just knew I would never go back!

satinka

• HappyDad
    HappyDad

And now you know the truth!

HappyDad

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit