Ray Franz

by thedog1 27 Replies latest jw friends

• Incognito
    Incognito

Although the reasons given by the WT for the persecution were totally incorrect, anyone being subjected to abuse, rape, torture & murder for any reason, is wrong.

Any of the Sis & Bros around the world who did write letters of protest to the Malawi Gov't, did a decent act regardless of their original reason or motivation for doing so. There is nothing to regret for anyone here who did likewise.

Regrettably, JWs will not speak-up when anyone other than JWs are being oppressed.

• thedog1
    thedog1

I am now two thirds of the way through CoC and while i disagree with Ray on some doctrinal points, the way he and his friends were treated in terms of the judicial committees was very unfair.

• KiddingMe
    KiddingMe

Thedog1- I am very interested to hear why you disagree with Ray Franz on certain doctrinal points. I hope you will share your perspective once you've completed the book.

• Captain Blithering
    Captain Blithering

Bumping this thread in case thedog1 hasn't seen this last question, I'd be interested in doctrinal differences of opinion too....

• Miss.Fit
    Miss.Fit

Bttt

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I talked about this situation with a board member around my age. Well, she is younger but not by decades. When I was growing up, the front pages of the newspapers were about white women being raped and murdered during African independence conflicts. I don't recall anything about Malawi. My family was active plus I saw extended family. These persecution stories were favorites with my extended family. I wonder if I repressed Malawi.

Ray Franz reported sneaking bribe money to other countries for the WT. I believe he violated federal laws. How do we know what other times bribery played a part. Maybe a local JW family would pay for being left alone.

• gingerbread
    gingerbread

At almost every meeting in the early 1970's we mentioned the 'brothers in Malawi'. Few, if any, in the congregations knew about the situation in Mexico. When a person is force fed information at the exclusion of other news this is what happens.

As Ray Franz makes very clear, the Governing Body acts deliberately and with cold precision about dispersing information. The appearance of the Organization is first and foremost.

The question I ask family and friends when the topic of 'persecution' comes up is "what good did that do?". What good does imprisonment, beatings, tar and feathering, raping, killing, beheadings, lynchings or hangings accomplish?

Nothing for the individuals and their loved ones.

Everything for the Organization - to grow a 'persecution complex' and generate publicity.

It will happen again. Mark my word.

ginger

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Ray Franz makes a big point of the fact that the org never really admitted it was wrong ...

Point!

If any ordinary Witness makes a mistake they will be humiliated by the elders, especially if it results in DFing. Then there is the additional pain of being cut off from family and friends by being shunned.

Should you try to get reinstated, the humiliation will in fact be much worse.

The GB on the other hand, NEVER EVER admit to making mistakes. Even when it seems like they are admitting to an error, they always minimize and justify it. Also, they NEVER face the consequences of their mistakes.

This is a cult!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit