Cost of new Kingdom Halls?

by Blttex 34 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Blttex
    Blttex

I have been told that the cost to build a new Kingdom Hall is $500k +. I have a background in commercial construction and this seems pretty high to me, considering all the free labor. That is just the cost of the building, excluding the lot price. Anyone have any information about this?

• wearewatchingyouman
    wearewatchingyouman

I suppose it would largely depend on the area the hall is built in. I read in a post on here that the WTS was claiming it needed 2-3 mil. per hall in Southern California.

• Blttex
    Blttex

This is texas that I'm talking about. One of the cheapest places in the country to build.

• NVR2L8
    NVR2L8

My brother's congregation is doing a remodeling including a small addition and he tells me the RBC takes care of everything. The local congregation just pay the bill. Purchasing and accounting is done by the RBC...that's quite different from back when I was involved in building our hall. Everything was purchased locally by the local elders and we knew exactly how much everything cost...where we saved money over the estimated cost enabled us to upgrade the seating and pave the parking lot...with this new process I wouldn't be surprised if any savings or a defined % of the cost is sent to the WTS...

• baltar447
    baltar447

Unless this is an rich urban area (I'm in Texas too), it seems high to me as well.

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

After you buy the land which varies from place to place, it costs about $250k in labor and materials to rebuild a 2-3000sqft two-story home. Building a flat, 800sqft block building with free labor would cost ~100k, let's make it $150k with the parking lot and everything.

I did the finances for RBC - $150k is on the high end of a build for the JW's and they usually have the land or get it fairly cheap given they select for the cheapest areas. In rural areas, I've seen QB's done for $50k including the land, permits etc.

• itsibitsybrainbutbigenoughtosmellarat
    itsibitsybrainbutbigenoughtosmellarat

Anony Mous I had this position as well and that seems low to me. Perhaps in the 1970s and early 80s but incl. land easily into 3-400,000s and again this depends on where but even in rural areas usually 200,000.00 plus.

• wasblind
    wasblind

A 500K Quick build ?

Wow, the WTS rollin' in the dough at that pace

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

I was heavily involved in the RBC projects. You cant deviate away from contracts that WT have, paying ridiculous prices for equipment, chairs and materials that are not the best deal or best product. The prices were hurrendous and clearly a percentage was going to WT.

I remember helping one hall get its sound equipment, even the cables had to be from the official supplier, they were literally 5x the price. The brother I was with was outright annoyed and said to me it was an obvious Watchtower money making scheme. He still 'serves' somwhere, I still email him occssionally.

The secuirty, the heating/ac the chairs, the sound equipment, everything had the WT mafia tax on it.... Thats how it looked anyway, otherwise why the lists? By the way the list had the price too, you had to but via this list. It wasnt normal pricing at all.

• AlphaMan
    AlphaMan

Cost of new Kingdom Halls?

The cost in human suffering cannot be counted.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit