Instructions To Elders Re: Pursuing Higher Education

by baldeagle 46 Replies latest jw friends

• baldeagle
    baldeagle

Underlining is mine.

March 6, 2012 Letter

Pursue divine education: Some of our brothers are pursuing higher education, feeling that they can acquire a measure of financial security. As you are aware, the educational system varies from country to country. In the United States, for example, public schools offer 12 years of basic education. Thereafter, students may choose to attend university for four or more years, leading to a bachelor's degree or to postgraduate studies for careers in medicine, law, engineering, and so forth. Such university education is what we mean when the term "higher education" is used.—w05 10/1 pp. 26-31.

Of course, education is an essential part of Christian life, and we highly value it. Education equips us to care for our responsibilities, both material and spiritual. (1 Tim. 5:8) However, Satan, the master of deception, has made the pursuit of higher education dangerous for a Christian. (2 Cor. 11:14) Many of our young people have been misled from the faith or have become involved in immorality as a result of pursuing higher education. The "fight for the faith" is especially challenging when one leaves the good influence of his home and congregation and places himself in the university environment. (Jude 3) Besides involving bad associations, higher education often erodes faith in Jehovah God and in the Bible. All must weigh carefully the disadvantages and any perceived advantages of pursuing higher education before determining what they will do. Christians must remember that the purpose of any supplementary education should be to praise Jehovah and serve him as much and as effectively as possible, while providing for material needs.—Eccl. 12:13.

Appointed men must be exemplary in heeding the warnings given by the faithful slave and its Governing Body when it comes to education. (Matt. 24:4547) Would an elder, a ministerial servant, or a pioneer continue to qualify to serve as such if he, his wife, or his children pursue higher education? Much depends on the circumstances and how he is viewed. When such a situation arises, the body of elders should consider the following questions and scriptures:

Does he show that he puts Kingdom interests first? (Matt. 6:33)

Does he teach his family to put Kingdom interests first?

Does he respect what has been published by the faithful slave on the dangers of higher education? (3 John 9)

Do his speech and conduct reveal that he is a spiritual person? (Ps. 12,3; 1 Cor. 2:13-16)

How is he viewed by the congregation?

Why is he or his family pursuing higher education?

Does the family have theocratic goals? (Phil. 3:8)

Does the pursuit of higher education interfere with regular meeting attendance, meaningful participation in field service, or other theocratic activities?

The BOE's is told to review and consider the above factors. Also the brother and his family’s general overall attitude are evaluated. If however the brother fails this litmus test, the following occurs:

If an elder or ministerial servant is promoting higher education to others for the material advantages or the status it may bring, he is calling into question his qualifications to serve the congregation because of the effect on his and fellow appointed brothers’ freeness of speech. (1 Tim. 3:13; Titus 1:9) The body of elders may determine that the brother no longer qualifies to serve.

If a person is serving as a regular pioneer only and the body of elders determines that he no longer qualifies to serve because of decisions he has made with regard to higher education, the person, the congregation and the branch office should be informed in the usual manner.

My Observation:This has caused huge rifts and tension among BOE’s. You may not be the most liked elder in the hall and even have the worst kids. But still nothing may happen to your privileges. Your fellow buddies, and two brothers-in-law on the body will look after you & convince the rest, you’re still qualified.

Meanwhile two congregations over a genuine loving, hardworking elder has a kid going to university and keeps up with the meetings, etc. But because of petty jealousies, envy or whatever other human imperfection among some fellow elders, that brother gets deleted.

Many brothers are annoyed at having this decision placed upon them from up top. They feel it opens up a whole can of worms, resentment, judging, favoritism etc. Lots of vindictive brothers (elders) are just waiting for their chance to make a case against a fellow elder. Also the questions used to evaluate that brother and his family are totally subjective. The way elders answer them are just based on or influenced by personal feelings, tastes, or opinions. Elders I remember from the past who had kids go to 4 years or more university knew well, to keep their head down low & their yap shut!!!

• quellycatface
    quellycatface

Crapola

• Ultimate Axiom
    Ultimate Axiom

Doesn’t that just show how utterly scared they are of their flock developing an intellect.

• BU2B
    BU2B

Sickening

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

In my opinion, it's one of the best things that can happen to an elder or pioneer- being removed because they or an immediate family member goes to college with family support. It's excellent in fading or in helping people to see how ridiculous the rules are.

• sir82
    sir82

I agree with OTWO.

The Society should just keep piling on insipid, damaging, or pointless requirements to the point that no one with an ounce of sense qualifies.

• Thoughtless
    Thoughtless

I never agreed with the concept of no higher education at all. I know because of my intellectualism, that my time here isn't very long, but if anything, by speaking down on higher education is demoralizing on brothers and is a source of discouragement. I agree with some points in this letter because of the fact that debt is a major factor and such, but I am in my late teens and I am going to college with no problem at all. I think that pioneers being punished for going towards higher education, or "marked" is shameful and shows an ulterior motive.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Great Job. You forgot to underline the most important part of the entire article!

"Appointed men must be exemplary in heeding the warnings given by the faithful slave and its Governing Body when it comes to education. "

Let's "adjust" and "clarify" this. After all, we must keep pace with the Organization.

"Appointed men [ and all rank&file ] must be exemplary in heeding the warnings given by the faithful slave/ The Governing Body when it comes to education, and everything else they dream up about anything. Only the Faithful Slave can interpret the meaning of God's word for us today. Our very salvation depends upon the Faithful Slave!"

• Ultimate Axiom
    Ultimate Axiom

"heeding the warnings given by the faithful slave and its Governing Body" - hold on a minute - the FDS is the GB. Oh wait a another minute, this letter is dated March 2012 - it's already infected with 'old'light' the BOEs should just ignore it.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

OTWO -- In my opinion, it's one of the best things that can happen to an elder or pioneer- being removed because they or an immediate family member goes to college with family support. It's excellent in fading or in helping people to see how ridiculous the rules are.

Ditto. This will be easily recognized as a personal attack for encoraging their children to better themselves in life. Very few JWs are successful.

The R&F is often jealous of those who are successful.

The WTS is aware that an educated person/youth with critical thinking skills is not likely to remain a JW.

Doc

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit