Instructions To Elders Re: Pursuing Higher Education

by baldeagle 46 Replies latest jw friends

• JakeM2012
    JakeM2012

I have been dead set against their anti-education posturing my whole life. In 1994-95? there were several articles "What is the Bible's Viewpoint of Higher Education?" and I felt that they had at least retreated to position that I could agree upon, well somewhat. My firm position is that WTBTS should not have any position on Higher Education, as it is an individual decision. They should use their ink to encourage Godly qualities.

However, shortly after 2000 the WTBTS started their hateful rhetoric once again, and I'll have to say that is of the top 10 reasons I have left this religion and helped me to wake up. I've told my wife that I was not sitting idly by while WTBTS instructed our daughter to demonize education and instruct her to just be content serving as a second class citizen pioneering, content living below the poverty level, washing windows or cleaning offices at night just to serve the Great Eight. They are just full of it.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

marked

• KiddingMe
    KiddingMe

We had a brother, that's a professor at a university. His wife attended and graduated. His children are now attending. He was deleted as an elder after the children started attending. Never heard a complaint from him. It looks like he took it all in stride, traded off about 4-8 years of being an elder in exchange for his children's education. Good for him. He and his wife are still pretty regular, he comments at the meetings (except this past WT study). The children come more during school breaks and weekends, I believe they live on campus. The "friends" in the congregation treat them the same as before but according to this BOE letter, there is a bad light cast upon them. What happens when the children have graduated, will the dad then be eligible to serve as an elder again?

Meanwhile, my oldest who graduated high school with one of his, is working full time and attending the local community college. This is the longer route. His children should be done soon, they could come back and regular pioneer. Mine still have years to go and will have to transfer for the degree they are pursuing. There's no way mine will be able to afford to move on their own anytime soon without a significant increase in income. I'm mad at myself for being so naive.

A big threat to the org appears to be living on campus. That's where lost of control comes in. It's okay to live at home and mix with the "bad association" at your job and the local community college. This past WT is unrealistic when it compares higher education to the highest education (pioneer school). Who's paying the bills of the one with the "highest education"?

I'm not sure of this brother's exact situation, but most of the time the children of professors can attend tuition free. Why wouldn't he utilize all his benefits?

Something else I find interesting is the local announcements asked to meet with bros and sisters that are medically "certified" doctors, nurses, emt etc. to help with the international convention. So, if one of this brother's children is now a certified medical professional (received through university education) the org want to reep the benefits? Or will they only allow those achieved through vocational school? What kind of doctor comes from a vocational school?

• Faithful Witness
    Faithful Witness

They didn't like the fact that we were unwilling to submit and stop using our brains. My husband's college degree and zeal for asking questions and adding other relevant information to a discussion, got them to stop calling on him during the watchtower lesson. The conductor was an engineer by trade, and clearly financially well-off. He would look right at his hand in the air and call on someone else. My husband actually enjoys studying, and he would add interesting thoughts to the discussions. that was a problem.

Little did he know, that this very behavior was what caused us to start questioning whether they were sincere in thier beliefs. The subsequent threats from our teacher solidified the idea that these people were not genuine.

They not only want to protect the sheep from the evil education system, but protect the flock from educated people. Keeping out those who have degrees and good jobs, is just making them more desperate to feed off the weak and feeble.

• Narcissistic Supply
    Narcissistic Supply

If you are pursueing higher education you are not giving the narcissist his narcissistic supply. It's not really about you. It's about the narcissist.

• SloppyJoe
    SloppyJoe

I never was removed from a position, as I have never had one, but I was strongly encouraged not to pursue higher education because as always the end was so close. I was told I can't reason that what if it doesn't come in 5 or 10 years, that sort of thinking just wasn't what a true worshiper should do. Well lets just say I finished college more than 5 and more than 10 years ago. I really don't know what the rational thought would be if you could bring this sort of conversation up openly later. I am almost half way to retirement now, let alone years removed from college.

• Captain Obvious
    Captain Obvious

Wow... Can we please get a scan on this letter? Any way at all? Very interested.

How can anyone say this isn't a cult?

• KiddingMe
    KiddingMe

Sloppy Joe says,

...but I was strongly encouraged not to pursue higher education because as always the end was so close. I was told I can't reason that what if it doesn't come in 5 or 10 years, that sort of thinking just wasn't what a true worshiper should do.

I'm not sure how true this is, but a young one told me recently, that the org have paid for some to become lawyers. I've also heard the same as Sloppy Joe stated above. If the end is so close is the rational, how does the org justify investing in paying for some to go to college (even if it's to further kingdom interest)? Not to mention, the unneccessary "bad association" for at least 4 years. How much trust is being put into the end coming soon? How much trust is being put into Jehovah to take care of his only true organization?

Someone starting college now can almost be done by the time the new World Headquarters is complete.

• jgnat
    jgnat

So a tradesman's certificate, a three year diploma, or a trades college is just fine, but no four year degrees or longer? Where are they going to find the dentists, doctors, lawyers, architects, and scientists to quote mine in their magazines? Get converts?

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Well these men in power called the Governing Body are totally drunk with power, just look at this bull shit:

Appointed men must be exemplary in heeding the warnings given by the faithful slave and its Governing Body when it comes to education. (Matt. 24:4547) Would an elder, a ministerial servant, or a pioneer continue to qualify to serve as such if he, his wife, or his children pursue higher education? Much depends on the circumstances and how he is viewed. When such a situation arises, the body of elders should consider the following questions and scriptures:

Does he show that he puts Kingdom interests first? (Matt. 6:33)

Does he teach his family to put Kingdom interests first?

Does he respect what has been published by the faithful slave on the dangers of higher education? (3 John 9)

Do his speech and conduct reveal that he is a spiritual person? (Ps. 12,3; 1 Cor. 2:13-16)

How is he viewed by the congregation?

Why is he or his family pursuing higher education?

Does the family have theocratic goals? (Phil. 3:8)

Does the pursuit of higher education interfere with regular meeting attendance, meaningful participation in field service, or other theocratic activities?

The BOE's is told to review and consider the above factors. Also the brother and his family’s general overall attitude are evaluated. If however the brother fails this litmus test, the following occurs:

If an elder or ministerial servant is promoting higher education to others for the material advantages or the status it may bring, he is calling into question his qualifications to serve the congregation because of the effect on his and fellow appointed brothers’ freeness of speech. (1 Tim. 3:13; Titus 1:9) The body of elders may determine that the brother no longer qualifies to serve.

What of bunch of extremely dumb sick bastards the Governing Body really are towards knowledge. These guy are the typical head in the sand ostrich! A typicaL Fahrenheit 451 mentality:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fahrenheit_451

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit