Do you look like the apostate they warned you about?

by Angus Beef 43 Replies latest jw experiences

• Angus Beef
    Angus Beef

After waking up and wanting to get out of this nightmare, the word Apostate is really bothering me. Am I now one? Just because I want out!

If I quitely become inactive, fade away will I just be looked at as "always weak". I want to scream out how big a fool I was.. and now telling my poor young daughter how wrong I was to bring her up as a JW. Does that make me an Apostate? Is this just from the conditioning all those years?

I feel the zeal I had going in almost the same way now, wanting out! I want to tell my family I lost years ago that I'm out. Will this calm down? What am I in for? Is there going to be a grief cycle like divorce, or death: Denial, Anger, Bargaining, depression, guilt, obsession, & then acceptance? I miss the meeting last night, not unusual, but I don't ever want to go back.

Okay my little posties, help!

• Simon
    Simon

It's just a word. They use it because they think it gives them some power but it only scares the people still in. Once you've seen them for what they are you see how weak and unimportant the whole house of cards really is.

Just don't rush or be too hasty to tell too much to too many people. Sometimes it's better to be patient and consider what you say to be able to help more people later.

• quellycatface
    quellycatface

I think that is an awful word that the GB just love to use. It makes you feel bad/guilty just saying or looking at it. Very clever mind control.

I really feel for you. I really wish their was something I could say or do to make your departure/fading any easier.

This is what happened to me today. I was in work and when I left to come home, saw some JW's on the stand and I looked straight at them (2 older men). I swore they looked at me as if they knew what I'd done and felt their contempt. It would be impossible as I did'nt know them at all, I work in a big city. Isn't it funny how they can make you feel like that?? My mind was obviously playing tricks on me. BUT the hold they had over me for 27 years or so, was a strong one.

I have gone through many emotions in the last few months, apathy, anger, dissolutionment (that's bloody hard) and depression. I will tell you one thing....I do not miss the meetings. I'm not sure why as they were a huge part of my life.

Take each day as it comes my friend. Lots of good people on here to help you through probably, the most important part of your life.

Take good care.

• ILoveTTATT
    ILoveTTATT

I ditto what Simon said.

If it makes you feel better, Jesus by the dictionary definition is the biggest apostate... of the Jewish faith.

a·pos·tate əˈpäsˌtāt,-tit/ noun noun: apostate; plural noun: apostates

1. 1. a person who renounces a religious or political belief or principle.
      synonyms: dissenter, defector, deserter, traitor, backslider, turncoat; More
      antonyms: follower
    adjective adjective: apostate
    1. 1. abandoning a religious or political belief or principle.
  • garyneal
    garyneal

According to my wife, I am an apostate simply by associating with you all. However, I have never been a Jehovah's Witness.

So let's see, does that make Jehovah's Witnesses apostate Baptists or apostate Catholics if anyone in their rank and file were former Baptists or Catholics?

As Simon said, it is just a word. A word that they load the meaning of to scare and control people.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

No, I don't have horns, a tail and fangs.

I am watching a show called "Breaking the Faith" about some young women who leave the FLDS, a polygamist offshoot of the Mormons. They are first taken to a safe house run by a woman who helped put some of the members in jail. The girls left willingly, but are still pretty much under mind control. They have been taught to hate and fear this apostate, they have very hard time being around her, but can't say anything because they have also been taught to "stay sweet" and never voice an opinion. It's interesting seeing the conflicting emotions. Just like the Witnesses, an apostate is evil and has special powers to destroy someone's faith.

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

Angus Beef - What am I in for? Is there going to be a grief cycle like divorce, or death: Denial, Anger, Bargaining, depression, guilt, obsession, & then acceptance? I miss the meeting last night, not unusual, but I don't ever want to go back.

Hi Angus Beef, Yes, you will experience a grief cycle because of all the WTBTS fantasies that you believed in will not happen. You will also be adversely affected by WTBTS induced phobias (i.e., fearing being called an apostate), unless you actively work at discovering those phobias and overcoming them. The good news is that you can choose how to live your life by either seeing a cult exit counselor, or reading books or watching videos about exiting dangerous cults.

If you have not read Steve Hassan's books, please read his books (i.e., "Combatting Cult Mind Control", "Releasing the Bonds: Empowering People to Think for Themselves", "Freedom of Mind: Helping Loved Ones Leave Controlling People, Cults and Beliefs"). If you don't want to spend money, at least watch the following video to determine whether Steve Hassan's ideas can help you: Strategic Interactive Approach explained 2003 (1:23:23).

Please continue to post on JWN to vent your feelings and to ask for advice about how to help your JW family and friends to critically think for themselves. Do not tell JWs TTATT! Instead ask them simple questions. I would recommend reading exJW Psychology 102--How to Ask a Question When Questions Aren't Allowed by Billy the Ex-Bethelite about how to disguise your questions so that JW will not become suspicious.

Best of wishes helping JWs to critically think for themselves.

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

Robert

• AlphaMan
    AlphaMan

The term Apostate is a brainwashing term used by the JW's to vilify any former believer that leaves the cult. It is the Watchtower's boogyman. Ever watch the movie The Village? The Watchtower uses the term Apostates like M. Night Shamalan used the "red monsters" to scare the cult members in the movie.

Always remember.......there can be no such thing as an Apostate, because the Jehovah Witness religion is NOT the Truth and the Watchtower is not God's Channel of communication or Organization on earth.

• MaybeSo
    MaybeSo

Hi, my name is Maybeso and I am an apostate...

The term used to scare me and I used to think the worst of people that would dare talk against Jehovah... If I knew then what I know now.

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

"Apostates" is the new WTBTS's fear-inspiring term to scare the sh---t out of dubs. Remember when "evil slave" was the fear-inspiring term? What ever happened to the "evil slave"? O, I remember------that vile "evil slave" is JUST FIGURATIVE now in JW dom. Just saying!

eyeuse2badub

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit