Quite an interesting first meeting with my Therapist.

by truthseekeriam 36 Replies latest jw friends

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

I did a quick search of the Therapist I visited and sure enough it did mention he can provide therapy within a faith based Chistian framework.

But can he provide therapy within a mental health framework?

• SAHS
    SAHS

I agree that it usually might be somewhat inappropriate for a therapist to quickly whip out a little paper about a loving perspective of God (“Your Heavenly Father”) on the very first visit (except, of course, for one who is upfront from the beginning about being the type who works “within a faith based Christian framework”).

However, I think that the therapist showing a patient such a paper should really be viewed as simply presenting an example of the essence of Christian values among the vast majority of Christian adherents; i.e., from a psychological/sociological and statistical perspective. In other words, I think that the therapist was merely illustrating the basic difference categorically between the popular non-judgmental love and tolerance espoused by modern Christianity and the rather cold, legalistic, and indeed even draconian policies of a religious “group” such as Jehovah’s Witnesses.

In all fairness to the therapist, I think that the motive behind presenting that paper was not to effect some sort of opportunistic brainwashing session but, rather, simply to illustrate a simple point – that being the noticeable difference (statistically and substantially) between the Watchtower religion and the vast majority of nominal Christianity, and where the Watchtower’s corporate-agenda-based version of “Christianity” stands in comparison (i.e., not really so loving or psychologically beneficial). And I think that the therapist illustrated the point effectively (assuming, of course, that that was the point being conveyed).

I appreciate the modern political correctness and professional etiquette perspective in general; however, as to ascribing negative judgment as to motives and methods, all I can say is, Fair is fair. Let’s not clamor for a hanging when none should really be deserved.

• steve2
    steve2

I appreciate the modern political correctness and professional etiquette perspective in general; however, as to ascribing negative judgment as to motives and methods, all I can say is, Fair is fair. Let’s not clamor for a hanging when none should really be deserved.

Fair enough - you raise some worthy issues. Would you feel the same way if the therapist had offered a Jewish, Buddhist, Hindu or Islamic perspective, and justify it as 'the therapist showing a patient such a paper' to demonstrate perceived benefits of that faith? Or is your favorable reaction to the therapist because he encapsulates your own religious views?

If the therapist was aligned with a Christian ministry, fair enough: he is simply overtly indicating his affiliation. If not so aligned, it is reasonable to ask why he did what he did.

Besides, as far as I can tell from all preceding posts, SAHS, no one 'clamored for a hanging' - an over-description if ever there was one.

By definition, clients who seek therapy are in some important ways vulnerable to the influence of "expertise" of one kind or another. That is why professional bodies prioritize client rights over therapists' extra-therapy opinions. It is interesting that you use the term "modern political correctness" as if it is in some way negative when your use of the term here looks mightily critical of the initiative to champion client rights.

I would guess that, at least in some contexts, "political correctness" may even be supportive of your own values and beliefs.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

He should have mentioned it to you on the phone and within a few sentences of meeting you. You should not have had to research it.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I do not think it is impossible that the therapist may have helped you, but under the circumstances this is probably not the right person for you. What if you want to explore the idea of Athiesm as part of your recovery? Could that therapist really be impartial? Since you have a choice, I would keep looking. Sometimes it takes a few attempts to find the right therapist, it is not "one size fits all".

• SAHS
    SAHS

I was seeing an addictions therapist for a little over a year who works in an office directly associated with the local municipal hospital – she is not an actual MD doctor, but she has certification in psychological-type disciplines. She was very objective and practical, but she showed me a couple of little snippets from a book she aspires to relating to Zen and Taoism meditation and ideas – although I suppose that is more of a new-age philosophy than a religion, as it is more about philosophical enlightenment than religious dogma (especially of the evangelical persuasion). She didn’t promote it but would just refer to it for the logical and practical merits which seemed advantageous to her personally. (She’s not a Buddhist or anything – she’s a very rational, secular, scientific Scottish Canadian.)

I suppose every practitioner has their little pet philosophies and psychological/metaphysical interpretations. But, of course, the more purely objective and scientific, the better, especially in our modern logical and practical humanist society.

• rebel8
    rebel8

I'm willing to bet he is an evangelistic born-again.

Anyway, yes it is against most codes of ethics to preach to clients. And a therapist must adhere to those codes to keep his license. I've been involved in the disciplining of many a behavioral health professional who did so.

And I wonder about his skill set. A new client drops the cult bomb on you, and all you got is replacement dogma? It's not even therapeutic.

You're gettin paid to use graduate-level expertise and evidence-based techniques to treat a medical condition, and you're responding with the equivalent of a leech.

Run away. Fast.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit