Quite an interesting first meeting with my Therapist.

by truthseekeriam 36 Replies latest jw friends

• truthseekeriam
    truthseekeriam

The moment I mentioned Jehovah's Witnesses he headed over to his file cabinet and handed me this print out.

Dear Beloved One,

I see your loneliness and fears. Your guilt and frustrations. I see your endless search for love and fulfillment. All this must be in order for you to come to the end of your own understanding. Then you can hear My voice. Listen carefully amid the noise of the world and you will hear -- I love you. I shed My blood for you to make you clean. Give yourself completely to Me. I created you to be just as you are, and you are lovely in My eyes. Do not criticize yourself, or become depressed for not being perfect in your own eyes. This leads only to frustration. I want you to trust Me. One day, one step, one second at a time.

Dwell in My power and My love and be free. Be yourself. Don't allow other people to control you. I will guide you, if you let Me, but be aware of My presence in everything. I'll give you patience, love, joy, and peace. Look to me for answers. For I am your Shepherd and will lead you. Follow Me only! Do not ever forget this. Listen and I will tell you My will. Let My love flow from you and spill over to all you touch. Be not concerned with yourself. You are My responsibility. I create, but not when you are striving.

You are Mine. Let Me have the job of making you like Christ. Your only command is to look to Me, and Me only. Never to yourself and never to others. Do not struggle, but relax in My love. I know what is best for you and will do it in you. Stop trying to become and let Me make you what I want. My will is perfect. My love is sufficient. I will supply all your needs -- look only to Me.

I love you,
    Your Heavenly Father

He then went on and on about how in his opinion JWs are the most dangerous religion and how he has had many patients who have suffered because of the religion. He made it very clear that he is very biased based on what he has learned through his patients and if we were uncomfortable with that we may want to find someone else. I think my husband was surprised but I love it!! I told him I would love to continue to see him:)

• Iamallcool
  • rebel8
    rebel8

Red flags are going up for me. It's unethical to give religious stuff to your patients. Doubly so when that patient is presenting to you for help related to religious cults.

Maybe I'm missing something.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

I kinda agree with rebel8. Although I appreciate that the Dr. sees the danger WT presents, I wouldn't be keen on a therapist that hands me a new message from god.

• NAVYTOWN
    NAVYTOWN

It seems to me the therapist should have first asked you more about your personal experiences with the Witnesses, to get a better feel for exactly what your concerns and issues are. Jumping to an immediate conclusion and TELLING you the JWs are a dangerous cults seems like it was certainly premature. And handing out literature that obviously reflected HIS or HER private religious beliefs does seem unethical. Is your therapist a PhD Clinical Psychologist? If not, you might look for a therapist who is. Your current therapist seems to have a private agenda regarding religion and is willing to see that you believe the same way.

• joyfulfader
    joyfulfader

I agree...red flags regardless of his opinions on the cult. He still has a religious agenda of sorts. My therapist waited 8 long years of knowing it was a cult to let me realize it myself and I couldn't be more thankful. To hit a patient like that off the bat is not appropriate in my opinion.

• Perry
    Perry

That's awesome!

I think its just what is needed.... Learning to love yourself the way God loves us. It is the polar opposite of "do more, run faster, jump higher".

• SnailsPace2
    SnailsPace2

Is this a therapist in the medical sense or a christian based church counselor?

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

marked

• truthseekeriam
    truthseekeriam

I did give my horrible experience with the religion ( daughter molested ) and how it was handled before he pulled out the print out. I also told him I have absolutely no interest in religion period!

I didn't really think to much about it other then at least he knew about how JWs work.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit