Quite an interesting first meeting with my Therapist.

by truthseekeriam 36 Replies latest jw friends

• adamah
    adamah

Rebel said-

Red flags are going up for me. It's unethical to give religious stuff to your patients. Doubly so when that patient is presenting to you for help related to religious cults.

Same here....

Unfortunately, many "therapists" are quite willing to cross the line and insert religion into their "treatment", which is quite controversial.

Run, don't walk, and find another therapist who's more interested in YOU and YOUR issues, and doesn't feel the need to "count time" on your dime.

TSIA said- I also told him I have absolutely no interest in religion period!

Well that's good, as he may have misread you, and you likely just needed to set boundaries with him upfront. If he continues, I'd say seek another therapist.

But good for you for seeking help resolving post-JW issues!

Adam

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

I have to say that if this happened to me, I'd look for another therapist. You want to continue seeing this therapist, which is your decision, just be aware that if necessary, you can move on to another one who won't preach.

• doofdaddy
    doofdaddy

IMO for what it's worth, the danger is "preaching to the converted" as far as jws. You are clearly not happy with your experience( extremely understandable), he is confirming that by his response, so what is the point of continued sessions? I see counselling as challenging strongly held beliefs. Then, once clearly mapped out, it's up to the client to make decisions about the future and even about long held beliefs about past experiences. The goal is greater understanding of self and hopefully personal growth.

You say he went "on and on" another red flag as a therapist. It is your session. You are paying for it and you are there to get clarity around your past experience, not listen to (a poorly presented) religious judgement.

Seriously, where is this heading? Did he give you an outline for future sessions?

• designs
    designs

A counselor who thinks human sacrifice is a step in the right direction. You should have turned him or her in to the state license board for unethical conduct.

• truthseekeriam
    truthseekeriam

@ doofdaddy, this was my first visit with this Therapist so it was more of us seeing if we fit. We talked,he talked and in the end he gave us an assignment to write down the things we want help with after leaving the religion. He just wanted to make it very clear to us both how he felt about JW's. I really didn't get the red flags,but then after reading all the comments here maybe I should have :) I think I was just so excited he knew so much about JW's.

• steve2
    steve2

Bear with me please when I say - just like Rebel8 - that warning bells have gone off for me as well.

Please don't understand my concern: I am happy you have found a counsellor who speaks "to" you about your need for healing and getting better. Can I ask though: Is the counsellor aligned with a Christian service? If so, it is clear that the counsellor is fulfilling the role of his religious beliefs.

However, if the counsellor is not aligned with any religious affiliation or church, I have to say I am uneasy about his approach. I also question the "judgement" of a counsellor declaring that the Witnesses are the most dangerous religion. Huh? What about the whacky religious groups that support violence against abortion clinics or scream hatred during funerals for military personnel killed in Iraq?

Talk about the so-called expert "going on and on" (as you yourself noted). What issues of his own are intruding in his opinion sharing??

I also get the impresion that once the counsellor "worked out" what he thought your "problem" was, he virtually took over. You were virtually his audience.

Any counsellor worth their training would know that people's religious beliefs often complicate matters. Parts of the person may not want to be "in" their religion, but other parts may be very ambivalent. It's a lot like sorting out one's feelings about a less than perfect relationship. The counsellor does not help by so quickly and robustly offering their well-intentioned opinions - which is all they are: Opinions. You could get that for free on the internet.

As for his going to the file cabinet and getting a typed up "heart-felt" religious invitation about how God loves you. I am sorry, but you were patronized and preached to.

Break the cycle: It is hardly progress to go from being patronized and preached to by the Witnesses to being patronized and preached to by your new counsellor.

• clarity
    clarity

Truthseeker....happy you found help.

You may be more vulnerable than you realize,

and he should realize that.

Use your critical thinking here ...not your emotions.

Been there done that! :-)

>

Wishing you all the best ...he may be a keeper!

clarity

• truthseekeriam
    truthseekeriam

I really appreciate all of your thoughts. I think more research on my part wouldn't hurt. I certainly wouldn't want to put myself back into a vulnerable situation.

This is really hard!

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

Hi truthseekeriam, I agree with other posters that your description of your 1st visit with a therapist would raise red flags with me. I consider skepticism is a good thing, because it helps me to overcome my desire to trust people before they prove themselves as being trustworthy. If you have a plan about what you want to accomplish from your visits with a therapist, I feel that you will achieve greater success from your visits based on my personal experience.

I have visited 4 councilors in my life for two life changing events. I always think about what I want to accomplish when I visit a therapist to determine how long I will visit a therapist. What I want to accomplish changes with what is going on in my life.

When I got divorced, I visited three councilors before I stayed with one. One councilor I thought was very good and was religious. He was not covered by my insurance, so I decided to see more councilors who might be covered by my insurance. The second councilor was very, very empathetic, but I did not want empathy. I wanted to learn why I wanted to be with my ex-wife when we had an emotionally abusive and toxic relationship. I stayed with the third councilor until the insurance coverage ran out to vent my feelings instead of to my friends and coworkers. While seeing the third councelor, luckily a coworker recommended that I read a book, which had excercises that helped my to disover what childhood baggage I had that was trapping me emotionally to want to be with my ex-wife.

The second event was to understand my emotional conflicts in asking a woman to marry me. I saw one councelor who was covered by my insurance and she did help me to understand what was missing from my relationship and how to attain what I wanted with my girlfriend. Before I could talk to my girlfriend about working towards getting married she decided to terminate our relationship. Since I had already resolved my childhood baggage, I did not go through a lot of emotional turmoil.

Best of wishes to you and your husband on resolving your issues with your therapist.

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

Robert

• dog is god
    dog is god

His or her religious thoughts should not enter the discussion. Red Flags.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit