JW’s So Gullible & Yet Hopeful Wanting To Believe They Are Right

by baldeagle 10 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• baldeagle
    baldeagle

1959 Jehovah's Witnesses In The Divine Purpose Pg. 252

For many years it had been the view of The Watchtower that the faithful men of old who served God faithfully before Jesus' time would be raised from the dead even before Armageddon to join in organizing Jehovah's modern-day people and to share in shouldering the remnant's responsibility of representing the Lord Jesus Christ in the capacity of overseers of the flock of God on earth. These men were variously referred to as "ancient worthies," "faithful men of old," and "the princes" in the light of Psalm 45:16.

Because of the understanding of this text that had prevailed for so long, many of Jehovah's witnesses expected at every convention to greet Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, David and the others, welcoming them back from the dead. You can imagine, then, the electrifying effect on the audience this statement of the speaker made: Would this international assembly be happy to know that HERE, TONIGHT, in our midst, there are a number of prospective PRINCES OF THE NEW EARTH?

The 1975 Yearbook below now relates this same convention event, but from a different viewpoint. The convention was back in 1950. Notice the sincere feelings & hope the people felt there. I was amazed at the mindset, of JW’s, asthey held their breath and looked around the stadium. Don't they ever learn from the past?

1975 Yearbook pp. 213-214 THE “PRINCES” ARE HERE

For years, Jehovah’s people thought that faithful men of old times, such as Abraham, Joseph and David, would be resurrected before the end of this wicked system of things.Those past servants of God were called “ancient worthies,” “faithful men of old” and “the princes.” So, when Jehovah’s people went to a convention years ago, there was a degree of expectation. Perhaps that gathering would be marked by the appearance of one or more of those resurrected princes or men of old!

With that in mind, mentally join the 82,601 conventioners as they listened intently to F. W. Franz on Saturday evening, August 5, 1950. At a climactic point in his absorbing Scriptural talk he asked: “Would this international assembly be happy to know that HERE, TONIGHT, in our midst, there are a number of prospective PRINCES OF THE NEW EARTH?” What reactions there were to that query!

Here are some vivid recollections: “I recall the gasp of amazement that swept the assembly, and we began looking around us expectantly . . . was David here, or Abraham, or Daniel, or Job? Many of us sisters had tears in our eyes!” (Grace A. Estep)

“I was so excited I sat on the edge of my seat with my eyes glued on the dugout. I was certain that one or more of these men of old would emerge at any moment.”(Sister Dwight T. Kenyon)

“People in the corridors rushed to the stadium entrances to view the speaker’s stand, perhaps expecting to see Abraham, David or maybe Moses.

The audience stood up—the atmosphere was charged. I am sure that if someone with a long beard had walked to the platform there would have been no containing the crowd.”— L. E. Reusch.

A profound silence next settled over the audience. Every ear seemed strained to lose none of the speaker’s words. He discussed the real meaning of the Hebrew word translated ‘prince.” He pointed out that today’s “other sheep” have suffered just as much for their faith as did Jehovah’s witnesses of old. Hence, nothing argues against Christ’s making these “other sheep” “princes in all the earth” as required. (Ps. 45:16; John 10:16)

Conclusion: It was just an adjustment to the understanding of the word ‘prince.’ Another letdown. Still I think, it would have been awesome just at the right moment, for a homeless guy with a long beard to crawl out of the dugout. There would have been pandemonium in the crowd!!

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

And so, another long-standing WTS doctrine was ditched - a teaching that started over 60 years earlier with Russell and The Divine Plan of the Ages and where new life had been breathed into it by Rutherford in the 1920s. In 1950 (like 1935 when the 'great crowd' suddenly became the same as earth-bound 'Jonadabs'), the rug was pulled out from under the faithful: 'princes' are just the 'other sheep' with congregational responsibilities (elders)? We're not going to be ruled over by the resurrected patriarchs and other faithful OT characters? Like 1935, the 1950 'revelation' was greeted by initial silence.

Even members of my family, who were relatively new to the religion at the time, remembered it being a major doctrinal shift.

And just how would anyone recognize Abraham or Moses or David anyway, if they were resurrected and paraded at a convention LOL. Gullible audience, yes (as we once were too). So sad.

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

marked

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Stuff like this just confirms for me that it was always a whacko cult and my joining in the late 80's was a time when they were already trying to mainstream the religion, so it didn't seem as whacko. But that didn't work out, so they are returning to a whacko cult.

It reminds me that their biggest growth was due to whacko thoughts and I should expect more of the same. The big difference now is the internet and the ability to remind members of what they have said in the past that reveals how whacko what they say now really is.

I laughed at "Overlap." Man, that's peanuts compared to the Freddy Franz stuff.

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries

I like the part how it was changed from "it had been the view of the WATCHTOWER", to "Jehovah's people thought".

The humility of the governing body is truely a sight to behold!

• jgnat
    jgnat

Gullible yet hopeful. Otherwise, all the drudgery going door-to-door was for nothing! Who can face such a waste of a life? Very few.

Normal people have a mid-life crisis and go out and buy a set of leathers and maybe a motorcycle to match.

• blondie
    blondie

COGNITIVE DISSONANCE

http://psychology.about.com/od/cognitivepsychology/f/dissonance.htm

Question: What Is Cognitive Dissonance?

People tend to seek consistency in their beliefs and perceptions. So what happens when one of our beliefs conflicts with another previously held belief? The term cognitive dissonance is used to describe the feeling of discomfort that results from holding two conflicting beliefs. When there is a discrepancy between beliefs and behaviors, something must change in order to eliminate or reduce the dissonance.

How exactly does cognitive dissonance work and how does it influence how we think and behave?

Answer:

Cognitive dissonance can often have a powerful influence on our behaviors and actions. Let's start by looking at some examples of how this works.

Examples of Cognitive Dissonance

Cognitive dissonance can occur in many areas of life, but it is particularly evident in situations where an individual's behavior conflicts with beliefs that are integral to his or her self-identity. For example, consider a situation in which a man who places a value on being environmentally responsible just purchased a new car that he later discovers does not get great gas mileage.

The conflict:

• It is important for the man to take care of the environment.
    • He is driving a car that is not environmentally-friendly.

In order to reduce this dissonance between belief and behavior, he has a few difference choices. He can sell the car and purchase another one that gets better gas mileage or he can reduce his emphasis on environmental-responsibility. In the case of the second option, his dissonance could be further minimized by engaging in actions that reduce the impact of driving a gas-guzzling vehicle, such as utilizing public transportation more frequently or riding his bike to work on occasion.

A more common example of cognitive dissonance occurs in the purchasing decisions we make on a regular basis. Most people want to hold the belief that they make good choices. When a product or item we purchase turns out badly, it conflicts with our previously existing belief about our decision-making abilities.

How to Reduce Cognitive Dissonance

There are three key strategies to reduce or minimize cognitive dissonance:

• Focus on more supportive beliefs that outweigh the dissonant belief or behavior.
    • Reduce the importance of the conflicting belief.
    • Change the conflicting belief so that it is consistent with other beliefs or behaviors.
    Why is Cognitive Dissonance Important?

Cognitive dissonance plays a role in many value judgments, decisions and evaluations. Becoming aware of how conflicting beliefs impact the decision-making process is a great way to improve your ability to make faster and more accurate choices.

• designs
    designs

OTWO- good catch on the more whacko period producing the biggest growth. I would imagine they were the first to go after 1975.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Not only would I not want to meet Tyrant David, but the promise of having that chance is cruel to those who do. All they have to do is waste the next few years in field circus and be faithful to joke-hova. This crap has been going on since the 1870s, and putting that smut in the 1950s highlights that it is just smut. It is no better than my promising a million ounces of gold to someone, putting conditions that seemed reasonable, and then making them wait endlessly for it. You do that work for nothing.

If someone did that at my job, it wouldn't be long before I would simply quit showing up. I go there for one purpose only--to get paid. If they snake on paying me, then I should snake on showing up for work. Yet, where are all the no-shows for joke-hova? Getting to meet Tyrant David should be the paycheck, and if they keep snake-paying people, people should start snake-serving.

• Black Man
    Black Man

Great thread!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit