Ladies, How Big Is Your Diamond Engagement Ring?

by minimus 40 Replies latest jw friends

• scary21
    scary21

Very small. Lost in house fire. Next one was just small. I would rather have a down payment on a home.

• rubadubdub
    rubadubdub

Jewlers will talk about the 4 Cs-- Color, Cut, Clarity and Carat. I've always loved pretty rocks and am now a gemologist. For me the first three Cs are more important than carat weight. That being said, there is a difference in price between a light quarter, half or full carat diamond. It is unethical for a jeweler to sell a .24 carat, .49 carat or .99 carat stone as quarter, half or full carat stones respectively. There should be a nice price break for a "light" stone.

When we got married and were young and poor JWs, I had a gold band with tiny diamond chips which I loved. It was eventually stolen by a non-JW family member on cocaine. For our 25th anniversary I bought my own diamond at wholesale, since I was working for a jeweler. I chose a .78 carat, E color, VS1 claritey very well-cut diamond. In my opinion the cut is most important, as that is where you get your fire (brillance). As long as you don't go below G-H in color on the scale, the untrained eye will likey not see the difference. I can see it, so I chose E, as D is the top of the scale and way too pricey. Even a SI1 clarity should be acceptable to the untrained, naked eye. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I love a gorgeous blue or pink sapphire. Sapphires make beautiful engagement rings and will hold up to daily wear.

One way to get a really nice stone is to ask a few reputable jewlers if they have any pre-owned diamonds in house. Often a jeweler will take a diamond ring he/she previously sold in trade toward a bigger stone. The jeweler will then remove the stone and from the old setting and keep it on hand until a new buyer comes along and chooses a new setting.

The old rule of two months' salary went out the window a long time ago.

Hope this helps!

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

I would rather have a down payment on a home.

There is a very successful couple in our circuit, construction business owners, either of their rings would make a nice downpayment. Each prob 3cts.

Drives a nice Bimmer, too.

Very generous at the KHall, as I understand it. And with the COs.

BTW -- He's an elder. Imagine that.

Doc

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

My combined carats on my engagement ring is way over one, but the diamonds came to me free via five generations of inheritance. So the ring was cheap as all we had to pay was for remodeling, but is worth a fortune.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Sapphires are pretty tough. Here is one on the nose cone of a missle

http://i.imgur.com/FT1oJHc.jpg

S

• 3rdgen
    3rdgen

My parents married in the 40's and were both second gen JWs and pious-sneerng. Mom go ta plain gold band later after some guy hit on her bc she wasn't wearing a wedding ring. 10 years later, my dad inherited a lot of money, became a sucessful businessman, took my mom to Europe and bought her a 1carrat+ wedding ring. After he died she remarried and had the diamond reset into a new wedding ring. After her second husband died she wore it until I was about to remarry. She gave me her ring and I had the diamond reset into an antique ring. The jewler botched the job so hubby and I picked out a new setting and put the diamond in it. When my daughter marries I will probably give it to her so this diamond has been in at least 4 wedding rings. How's that for recycling??!!

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

Like what 3rdgen said, my parents married in 1949, I have my mothers rings. If you hold your fingers together to show how thick the engagement and wedding band are, your fingers would just about be touching each other. Both bands are extremely thin, but the engagement band has teeny diamonds from running from side to side, wedding band just about the same accept for much larger, portruding stone in the middle. Her fingers were much larger than mine, so they only would fit on my thumb without falling off,wish I could wear them. Have to say I much prefer this style than the big gaudy stones than men buy because they think the larger the stone the more she'll love me. Yeah, that's true. . . . for a while.

• Nice_Dream
    Nice_Dream

I really love my engagement ring. It's a Canadian diamond, .33 carat. My husband designed the ring so the diamond is inset, and it has a small sapphire on the side of the ring. And I have an anniversary band that's 1 carat, with 10 diamonds which I also love...as well as the man who gave them to me. :)

• minimus
    minimus

Rub, I disagree with your idea about it being unethical to sell a 99 pt. diamond as a carat. Or for that matter saying a 1.01 shouldn't still be called a carat.

• minimus
    minimus

And if you buy a pair of diamond earrings, they could be half carat total weights. If they weigh at .49 points, they are still half carat tw. earrings.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit