Richard Dawkins on religion and ethics

by DJS 44 Replies latest watchtower bible

• KateWild
    KateWild

In my post 1247 the phrase I posted, I view as arrogant, that is why I disagreed with him. You know where the other phrase is from. I am just more spiritual and caring of individuals than Dawkins is.

Kate xx

• cofty
    cofty

Do you disagree that there are uneducated churchgoers?

Why is it arrogant to point out that uneducated churchgoers are easy prey for creationist's lies?

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

Kate Wild, I do not have any fundamentalist friends just people I worked with in my business. In my experience, the fundies talk the most about their faith, but are the ones most likely to stab you in the back. I had that happen often enough that I began to refuse to do business with them.

I say they are hurting this country because they want to interfere in education, by trying to force the schools to teach creationism, as if their religious beliefs are as valid as actual science, when teaching science. This kind of ignorance is holding us back. They would also take away a woman's right to choose what to do with her body, that scares me.

• KateWild
    KateWild

Why is it arrogant to point out that uneducated churchgoers are easy prey for creationist's lies?

He is generalising, many religious people are educated. It's arrogant to presume churchgoers are uneducated, it gets a reaction which is his intention. My daugher is studying Maths and physics degree. She is not intersted in Biology so could not hold a conversation about evolution. But I would say her education and field is better than knowing about evolution.

Kate xx

• KateWild
    KateWild

Thanks Lisa for you opinion. Kate xx

• cofty
    cofty

He is generalising, many religious people are educated.

He does not imply otherwise. Here is the original context.

His complaint is with "enlightened bishops and theologians" who accept evolution but who then refer to Adam and Eve in their sermons without bothering to explain they are speaking metaphorically.

"Is it really so easy for an uneducated churchgoer to guess? In all too many cases the answer is no, and anybody could be forgiven for feeling confused" - Dawkins, GSOE p8.

• KateWild
    KateWild

He does not imply otherwise. Here is the original context.-cofty

LOL! I so disagree on so many levels. Dawkins does not define what an uneducated churchgoer is. It's a kid that believes in father Christmas and Adam and Eve then. The context is then not applicable. They will stop believing when they are old enough.

You asked me to read it, anything I read can and will be used as evidence against him. He is one of the worst fundamentalist nuts I have encountered.

Kate xx

• cofty
    cofty

Sorry Kate I am opting out of this conversation.

I just wasted my time looking out the book and explaining the context.

• KateWild
    KateWild

It wasn't a waste of time, I am having fun. But its a meeting night anyway. Gotta go xxx

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

KateWild I am just more spiritual and caring of individuals than Dawkins is.

Having read Dawking's books and his track record of achievements, that have benefited so many people, I can not agree with your claim.

Dawkins has talent, whereas you have nothing more to offer than duplicity. You give the impression of enjoying attention more than reasoned debate.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit