Richard Dawkins on religion and ethics

by DJS 44 Replies latest watchtower bible

• DJS
    DJS

Dawkins: Religion no moral compass

By Jason Miks

GPS digital producer Jason Miks sits down with renowned evolutionary biologist Richard Dawkins, author of the Selfish Gene and An Appetite for Wonder, to discuss readers’ questions on religion, its role in society and whether children can be described as “Christian.”

A number of readers noting your skepticism over religion’s role in society ask whether an absence of religion would leave us without a moral compass?

The very idea that we get a moral compass from religion is horrible. Not only should we not get our moral compass from religion, as a matter of fact we don’t. We shouldn’t, because if you actually look at the bible or the Koran, and get your moral compass from there, it’s horrible – stoning people to death, stoning people for breaking the Sabbath.

Now of course we don’t do that anymore, but the reason we don’t do it is that we pick out those verses of the bible that we like, and reject those verses we don’t like. What criteria do we use to pick out the good ones and reject the bad ones? Non-biblical criteria, non-religious criteria. The same criteria as guide any modern person in their moral compass that has nothing to do with religion.

So the moral compass of any person is very much a part of the century or even the decade in which they happen to live, regardless of their religion. So we live in the early 21 st century, and our moral compass in the early 21 st century is quite different from 100 years ago, or 200 years ago. We are now much less racist than they were, much less sexist than they were. We are much kinder than non-human animals than they were – all sorts of respects in which we are labeled with a moral compass. So something has changed, and it certainly has nothing to do with religion.

You’ve been travelling to the States from the U.K. for a number of years. Have you noticed much of a change in the place of religion in the two countries over that time?

Notoriously, the United States is the most religious of the Western advanced nations. It’s a bit mysterious why that is. In Britain, Christianity is dying. Islam, unfortunately, isn’t. In Western Europe generally, Christianity is dying. Even in America, the figures show that religious adherence is being steadily reduced, and the people who now record themselves as having no religious affiliation is something like 20 percent. Many people don’t recognize what a high figure it is, and so politicians here who feel they have to curry favor with religious lobbies should maybe take a look at those statistics and realize that not everyone in this country is religious.

You say it’s a bit of a mystery why America is so much more religious than other advanced countries. Do you have any thoughts on why it might be? Tied to that question of disposition, several readers also wondered if there is a genetic predisposition toward faith?

There probably is, but I don’t think that really explains why America is so different from Britain. The least implausible suggestion that I’ve heard is that Britain and Scandinavian countries, which are also very non-religious, have an established church, and that kind of makes religion boring. Whereas in America, there is constitutionally a bar against an established church, and that could be one reason why religion has become so popular – it has become big business, it has become free enterprise, rival churches vie with each other for congregations and especially tax free ties.

Some readers see you as very evangelical in your atheism. Do you feel it a duty, just as some Christians might to share the word of God, to spread an atheist point of view?

Duty is a funny word. But when you say evangelical, I like to think that I don’t shout or shriek, but employ a quiet, sober voice of reason. And reason is on our side.

You’ve talked about feeling uncomfortable with the impact of religion on children. In fact, one reader asked whether you would prefer to see no under-18s at church. What’s your take?

I certainly wouldn’t wish to prohibit parents influencing their children. However, for the rest of the world, to label a child a Catholic child simply because its parents are Catholic, seems to me to be a form of child abuse. The child is too young to know.

You can see the absurdity of talking about a Catholic child of four when you think what it would be like if we talked about an existentialist child of four, or a logical positivist of four. In other words, we wouldn’t accept the labeling of a child based the parents’ belief, so why do we accept it when it’s religion? Why does religion get a free pass when it comes to labeling children in this way?

• cofty
    cofty

Interesting idea that it was having a national established church that has led to the eventual demise of christianity.

• KateWild
    KateWild

DJS, nice research, thank you.

Interesting how Dawkin's is a fundamental Atheist, who uses the term "uneducated churchgoer". Love to you Kate xx

• KateWild
    KateWild

Duty is a funny word. But when you say evangelical, I like to think that I don’t shout or shriek, but employ a quiet, sober voice of reason. And reason is on our side.-Dawkin's

LOL. I disagree with him. That's my view. Kate xx

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

Interesting. I saw a chart recently that showed what percentage of people believe in evolution, by country. Most of the northern European countries had the highest percentage, the US was way down the chart, around 50th. It was a little shocking and I wondered why. Perhaps Dawkins is right, it's because of having a state sponsored religion. I would have thought it would have the opposite effect. Maybe when religion becomes something obligatory, like paying taxes, you do it, but you don't really like it much.

Maybe people in the US are more influenced by their religion because they had more of a choice in it. It's like having 31 flavors of ice cream, as opposed to only being offered chocolate. If you like chocolate, it works for you, but if not, you would not really be as interested n the whole concept.

It's too bad, I think religious fundamentalism is hurting us as a country.

• KateWild
    KateWild

It's too bad, I think religious fundamentalism is hurting us as a country.- lisa

What about your circle of friends, are they religious fundamentlists? Are they really taking over the US of A? I have no clue and am genuinely interested in an American's perspective.

The things that are hurting the UK, are far more serious than whether or not school leavers know what evolution is. Dawkin's it British he has no sympathy for school leavers or university students struggling in this awful economic climate, and declining housing conditons. At least Einstein cared about human suffering and as a role model tried to show a good example as a scientist in this regard.

Kate xx

• cofty
    cofty

Dawkin's it British he has no sympathy for school leavers or university students struggling in this awful economic climate, and declining housing conditons.

I must have missed that interview when he said these awful things. Please do you have a link?

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Dawkins is British he has no sympathy for school leavers or university students struggling in this awful economic climate.

Really ? Could you provide some supportive information to back that assertion ?

• KateWild
    KateWild

I must have missed that interview when he said these awful things. Please do you have a link?-cofty

Really ? Could you provide some supportive information to back that assertion ?-Fink

He said nothing that I know of. And that's my point, the silence is deafening. Bad things happen when good men do and say nothing.

The British Humanists Assoc gave him a prize, but not for his work for humanity. He seems to be enjoying his fame and winning prizes.

http://www.theguardian.com/science/blog/2012/jun/12/richard-dawkins-evolution-new-classics

Kate xx

• KateWild
    KateWild

"Everything has to be paid for, there is no such thing as a free lunch. You have to pay for whatever you do now in the form of lost opportunities to do other things in the future." - Dawkins

Well he is either very right wing, or stupid and has no idea what true poverty in Britain is. This was taken from the link above.

Kate xx

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit