Richard Dawkins on religion and ethics

by DJS 44 Replies latest watchtower bible

• tornapart
    tornapart

Wonder if the WT will use this as a quote in one of their mags.....

" In Western Europe generally, Christianity is dying. Even in America, the figures show that religious adherence is being steadily reduced, and the people who now record themselves as having no religious affiliation is something like 20 percent ."

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

They probably will Torn, whilst not admitting that a good number of the 20% are ex JW's who found the religion to be false.

I find the criticisms of R. Dawkins by some to be quite strange, he is a retired Academic and a writer, not the Messiah, even to Atheists.

Why he should be expected to pontificate on Britains economic ills I know not.

He has chosen to speak out against the bad that religion and ignorance do, and often the two do go hand in hand.

Good for him, we need to fight ignorance and bigotry wherever we find it.

• cofty
    cofty

Kate that is a terrible example of quote mining. Please go back and read the context.

Everything in life has a cost in terms of time or energy. Evolution has practical applications in many fields of activity.

If you have read "The Selfish Gene" you will know that he attacks selfishness as a basis for society.

From the article..

"What are the evolutionary origins for empathy, for sympathy, for our tendency to feel sorrow when we feel distress? Our tendency to want to help other people – other sentient beings indeed."

His politics are liberal/left-wing.

• cliff
    cliff

@Kate: "He said nothing that I know of. And that's my point, the silence is deafening. Bad things happen when good men do and say nothing."

A curious statement!

I don't recall Dawkins saying anything publically about Scottish Devolution, Badger Culls, The Public Defecit or the Price of Fish! Nor would I expect him to!

You seem to be be developing quite a "thing" about him?

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

I find the criticisms of R. Dawkins by some to be quite strange, he is a retired Academic and a writer, not the Messiah, even to Atheists.

Steady on there Phizzy

I am British, English actually - Dawkins is the messiah to me. He has done a great deal to enrich peoples lives and demonstrate the value of hard work and the application of knowledge.

He is adamant that the world would be better of without religion because it distorts reality. The more we are in touch with reality, the greater our chances of success in life; unless one happens to be the Pope, for god's sake.

• KateWild
    KateWild

Kate that is a terrible example of quote mining. Please go back and read the context.-cofty

I provided the whole article, I know I was quote mining, as I said he had written or said nothing to the effect of "I have no sympathy for......." That was the closest thing I could find to highlight his lack of sympathy in general.

The whole interview in the OP, causes me to feel nauseous and uncomfortable. IMO he is a fundamentalist, in yours he is not. Kate xx

• Simon
    Simon

It's amazing that religion still even has a space at the table whenever morals and ethics are discussed. I mean, look at their track record?!?!

They have never led anything, they have always confused issues and held things back over silly superstitions. Why do they even get a say?

• KateWild
    KateWild

I find the criticisms of R. Dawkins by some to be quite strange, he is a retired Academic and a writer, not the Messiah, even to Atheists.-phizzy

Yes I am very opinionated and vocal about him, IMO he gives scientists a bad name. I feel he needs to leave God and religion out the lab and then maybe more people will read his evolution. Kate xx

• KateWild
    KateWild

I don't recall Dawkins saying anything publically about Scottish Devolution, Badger Culls, The Public Defecit or the Price of Fish! Nor would I expect him to!-cliff

I suppose it's because he couldn't care less about those things either. Kate xx

• cofty
    cofty

That was the closest thing I could find to highlight his lack of sympathy in general.

But when read in context his words had absolutely nothing at all to do with it.

He has often responded to similar attacks by explaining that evolution is descriptive not prescriptive.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit