New "Generations" WT Study Article in 2014??

by daringhart13 25 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

A word they are re-defining to fit their new definition of 'this generation' is 'contemporary'. Look it up in any dictionary.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/contemporary

There is nothing about this word that suggests a mere overlap. The kids you went to school with are your contemporaries, not your teachers, headmasters, grandparents, greatgrandparents, greatgrandchildren, etc..

Make your Dubs take a position, then look up the word and get them to explain it to you.

You always have to get your Dub to take a position before you ask them any awkward question. They will deny a whole raft of embarrassing doctrines and attitudes if they know what you are targetting, so steal their opportunity to do that before you ask your question.

... and don't forget to smile and look like a potential convert or lost sheep while you do it.

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

Ah, but to a visiting alien we would all be contemporaries, ... the GB are soooooo clever it hurts.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Here is the message I get

The requested URL "http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/contemporary" cannot be found or is not available. Please check the spelling or try again later.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Whoops. Sorry Vanderhoven. http://www.thefreedictionary.com/contemporary

... but any dictionary will do for this one. Try the one on your Dub's bookshelf.

• Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

The anonymous people who wrote that Gospel and put the word "this generation" on to Jesus' lips were meaning their own generation, not some people living at some arbitary time in the future.

They got it wrong, just as Paul got it wrong (1 Thess), as did the writer of Revelation. They all thought the Coming was imminent, during their own time, the time of their generation.

Doug

• notsurewheretogo
    notsurewheretogo

@rubadubdub...a 20 year old Mark Sanderson is anointed? Don't think so and even the GB don't think so...in the 2014 article they say:

" Thus, not every anointed person today is included in “this generation” of whom Jesus spoke. Today, those in this second group are themselves advancing in years."

Thus they say the SECOND group that overlapped with the FIRST group are well along in years rather than in their 50's...

And what does this mean for a good jdub? Well if the second group will see the start of the end and they are advanced in years NOW then the big G & T and Big A is right around the corner...promise!

Cuckoo....

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

No worry! the GB will soooooon redefine the word 'overlapping' to mean 'as long as necessary', and the word 'generation' will be re-explained to be a hypothetical term just like 'evil slave' in hypothetical. NULITE!

eyeuse2badub

• besty
    besty

I doubt Mark Sanderson was claiming to be anointed at age 20 - that would have prevented him making progress in the Borg at that time for sure.

More likely they will rationalize it that 'he was always of the heavenly class' he just didnt know it earlier - therefore he is an overlapper.

There is no way they could have a GB not be in the special club.

• rocketman
    rocketman

Doug Mason commented: "The anonymous people who wrote that Gospel and put the word "this generation" on to Jesus' lips were meaning their own generation, not some people living at some arbitary time in the future.

They got it wrong, just as Paul got it wrong (1 Thess), as did the writer of Revelation. They all thought the Coming was imminent, during their own time, the time of their generation."

This hints at the simplest way to understand it. Let's say that Jesus actually did say "this generation". The simplest way to understand it is that Jesus was referring to the people he was talking to and who lived at that time. And the destruction of Jersusalem in 70 A.D. fits that "generation" by any measure of the definition, since it occured only 37 years afterward.

Any other attempt to apply to some future time is problematic, which the folly of the WTS's speculations has born out.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG
    gen·er·a·tion

noun \ˌje-nə-ˈrā-shən\

: a group of people born and living during the same time

: the people in a family born and living during the same time

: the average length of time between the birth of parents and the birth of their children

Webster's Dictionary

Full Definition of GENERATION

1 a : a body of living beings constituting a single step in the line of descent from an ancestor b : a group of individuals born and living contemporaneously c : a group of individuals having contemporaneously a status (as that of students in a school) which each one holds only for a limited period d : a type or class of objects usually developed from an earlier type <first of the … new generation of powerful supersonic fighters — Kenneth Koyen> 2 a : the action or process of producing offspring : procreation b : the process of coming or bringing into being <generationof income> c : origination by a generating process : production;especially : formation of a geometric figure by motion of another 3 : the average span of time between the birth of parents and that of their offspring

Well, B and C are interesting. I think these are the two definitions that the WT likes to tweak. Notice that "B" says, " born and living ", NOT, " born, and or living." That's a big difference.

Then depending on how you tweak "B", definition "C" comes into play. If Webster's definition "B" is right then the WTBTS's definition is wrong. Also, no matter how much the WTBTS loves a certain spin on any definition, if they deviate from the scriptural definition of a generation then everything falls apart. FYI, Job 42:16 "And Job continued living after this a hundred and forty years and came to see his sons and his grandsonsfour generations." I think "grandsons" included what we would call great-grandsons, so we get 4 generations, NOT one overlapping generation.

So it's all legalistic nonsense. What if I have been partaking for a couple of years in private? When was my anointing? Jw's say that baptism is a dedication in your heart first, and then you make a public declaration. So the private, personal dedication come first. Who can say when that takes place? So what if I knew 10 years ago that I should partake? What if I went to Bethel and met Sam Herd? Am I now a contemporary of that group? Do I qualify to be in the "generation?" I am advancing in years, right? I get older every year, right?!?! LOL!! What a bunch of watchtards!!

DD

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit