New "Generations" WT Study Article in 2014??

by daringhart13 25 Replies latest watchtower bible

• daringhart13
    daringhart13

I see people mentioning this and have visited the site looking at all posted WT's.......I see no paragraph's discussing 'generations'....does anyone have any direction?

• notsurewheretogo
    notsurewheretogo

Really? Thought it was first mentioned in 2010 and there is mention of it in the January 15th 2014 Study Edition of the WT...

The original mention is here:

Watchtower (Study Edition), April 15th, 2010 Issue, Pages 27-29: "This magazine has long been used by “the faithful and discreet slave” as the primary channel for dispensing increased light. ... What does this explanation mean to us? Although we cannot measure the exact length of “this generation,” we do well to keep in mind several things about the word “generation”: It usually refers to people of varying ages whose lives overlap during a particular time period; it is not excessively long; and it has an end. (Ex. 1:6) How, then, are we to understand Jesus’ words about “this generation”? He evidently meant that the lives of the anointed who were on hand when the sign began to become evident in 1914 would overlap with the lives of other anointed ones who would see the start of the great tribulation. That generation had a beginning, and it surely will have an end. The fulfillment of the various features of the sign clearly indicate that the tribulation must be near. By maintaining your sense of urgency and keeping on the watch, you show that you are keeping up with advancing light and following the leadings of holy spirit.—Mark 13:37."

The 2014 WT has this:

15 In his detailed prophecy about the conclusion of this system of things, Jesus said: “ This generation will by no means pass away until all these things happen. ” (Read Matthew 24:33-35.) We understand that in mentioning “this generation,” Jesus was referring to two groups of anointed Christians. The first group was on hand in 1914, and they readily discerned the sign of Christ’s presence in that year. Those who made up this group were not merely alive in 1914, but they were spirit-anointed as sons of God in or before that year. —Rom. 8:14-17. 16

The second group included in “this generation” are anointed contemporaries of the first group. They were not simply alive during the lifetime of those in the first group, but they were anointed with holy spirit during the time that those of the first group were still on earth. (implying that this second group are made up of pretty old people)

Thus, not every anointed person today is included in “this generation” of whom Jesus spoke. Today, those in this second group are themselves advancing in years. Yet, Jesus’ words at Matthew 24:34 give us confidence that at least some of “this generation will by no means pass away” before seeing the start of the great tribulation.

This should add to our conviction that little time remains before the King of God’s Kingdom acts to destroy the wicked and usher in a righteous new world.—2 Pet. 3:13.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Thus, not every anointed person today is included in “this generation” of whom Jesus spoke.

Question: So is Mark Sanderson, the newest member of the Govering Body, a member of "this generation"? "Overlapping" or otherwise?

• runForever
    runForever

How long was Jesus' generation? well only 37 years. Why should we expect any different? Apparently you can quardruple the generation and it still makes sense. Really in effect they have made another ~quarter century prediction as per their pattern. 2025 is a more sure date than 2000 just like 1925 was a more sure date than 1914. Hey if you say it long enough eventually you will be right. That is like a broken clock claiming to be right twice a day. So I am going to start saying the end is coming soon right now and I'll have JW WTB society beat by a good century that must make me smarter than them and more anointed.(2 scoops holy spirit)

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

WT quote for definition of "generation": "It usually refers to people of varying ages whose lives overlap during a particular time period;"

WTF

• rubadubdub
    rubadubdub

"Evidently" they are holding the 2010 party line. My first thought when I heard them explain the over-lapping generation "new light" was, "That's crap."

I think Mark Sanderson qualifies for the OL generation if you do the numerology. Example: In 1914 there lives a 20-year-old "spirit annointed son of God." He dies when he is 90 years old in 1984. Mark Sanderson is in his mid-50's, if I recall correctly. Let's use age 50 for the sake of round numbers. Say he was also a 20-year-old "spirit annointed son of God". 2014 less 30 years brings you back to 1984. Every year over the 50 years old in 2014 calculation just adds to the overlap.

Maybe there is someone better versed in WT numerology than I.

• mauiboy
    mauiboy

hahaha, what a bunch of horse s**t double-talk in WT stupidesse. "We understand" as mentioned in paragrapgh 15 means "us guys with our heads so far up where the sun doesn't shine that we can't breathe". Their oxygen deprived brains have absorbed the main ingredient of where they have firmly inserted their heads, and thus the un-intelligable double talk 'new light'. Where the hell does the Bible say Jesus was talking about "2 groups of annointed Christians"? Consider the other Bible advice "Do not go beyond the things written".....or maybe the promises of what will happen to any who decide to add to, or take away from God's word as recored at the end of Revelation. Geeeeeeeeez.

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

Today, those in this second group are themselves advancing in years.

Hang on, didn't they say that the first group being 'advanced in years' meant the end was soon? I remember the hubbub about that in the late 90s. So when the second group die, will they then add a third group of geriatrics?

• trujw
    trujw

Evidently Jesus meant generations. Professor I P freely of modesto jr college said. Generations..............can...........mean Lappers. Another noted biblical scholar from Oakdale middle school once said "my school year.......overlapped with summer school.......generation"

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

Why don't you try searching 'generation' in the Search option on this forum. There are numerous threads on this subject.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit