Fallacies about Faith

by tec 340 Replies latest jw friends

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Nickolas, your posts are a breath of fresh air.

• tec
    tec

Could you not just ignore her? Or perhaps cut her some slack

Yes. Yes I can. Perhaps not ignore Band... that does not come from love either... but ignore the personal diatribes against me, yes.

Band, please know that I truly wish you nothing less than peace. I am sorry if I have been harsh with you. Please know also that I continue to try with you because I truly think you are seeking... and you will be so overjoyed to find your peace in Christ, Himself... who I will defend out of love for Him, as well as love for those seeking Him. And like I said... I think you are one of those as well.

Nickolas... what can I say except thank you. I am so happy to hear from you. I hope that you are doing well. Your voice and your words have been much missed.

I agree, there is a big difference between an atheist and an anti-theist. I have been quite grateful that some identify as the latter now, so that an atheist (or agnostic - Peace Outlaw!) does not have to be lumped into that same extremist or militant category that some anti-theists are presenting.

Certainly to one who does not believe in God, hearing the voice of Christ is... to them... impossible. I understand that.

To believers who take issue with Christ being alive and speaking (and I am not singling anyone out... this is a general statement)... you must also take issue with the scriptural references about Him doing this very thing. But that is between you and Him. I can do nothing more except give witness to this truth so that you might know that you too can hear Him, and point out those scriptures for you to see for yourself. So that you may put faith in Him. Not me. Not Shelby. Not the pope. Not men. Not religioin. Not a GB. Just in Christ.

He is the Word and Truth of God; He is the Life and the Son of God; He is the Spirit; and He is the One God gave you to listen TO.

Peace to you,

tammy (edited some stuff above, sorry, just don't want to hide that I edited)

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Nickolas; I've no problem leaving religious folks alone with their beliefs if that brings them happiness and purpose - with one obvious caveat. That those beliefs, whether publicly or privately held, should cause no harm. But there's the rub; define 'harm'.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Tammy, I've sent you a PM.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

All this "My lord spoke to me" BS is utterly ridiculous and not a single person with even a shred of common sense, could possibly consider any part of these delusional rantings are anything other than pure fiction.

Edited to say: Nevermind. I don't really want to enter this again.

• zound
    zound

I believe that blind faith in varying degrees with very few exceptions causes harm to people, sometimes in small ways sometimes in large ways. And more often than not it causes harm to children and venerable people. To borrow a phrase - I believe that religion poisens everything.

Are you bursting my buble by telling me you disagree with that? Are you ridiculing me by saying that people who think that are morons?

I don't think so. I appreciate your differing view, and think you make some interesting points - and some hypocritical points also.

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

Same page nicolaou. Faith in something greater than ourselves crosses a line when it does harm, as defined by causing unhappiness or suffering in ourselves or others. Those kids on the cover of the May 22, 1994 Awake come to mind. Very doubtful the parents of those kids were evil but their faith brought them their worst nightmare. Steven Weinberg on good people and all that.

I'm doing quite well, thank you Tammy. :o) Hope the same for you. Anti-theist is a better noun. Of the adhominem variety. Attack the person instead of the idea.

OTWO, you made me smile. First from seeing your familiar avatar and then from what you said. Did you really say that? You have become less subtle during my hiatus (to which I'm about to return.)

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

OTWO, you made me smile. First from seeing your familiar avatar and then from what you said. Did you really say that?

Glad to make you smile. No, I was quoting 2+2=5 on the same page here. I said something, but decided otherwise.

The place changes. Simon even became more active lately.

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

Were we talking about blind faith or what one holds to be true, or is it the same thing? It takes a lot to budge me from my reality but I can't count the number of times my paradigm's been shifted. I once believed in a god. Imagine that. You and I are convinced that what we currently believe is true, but if we're rational we'll accept that what we believe can't possibly be absolutely true. I perceive you are an atheist like me. We don't believe in gods. Fine. Same page. Our individual perceptions of reality are otherwise not the same. Likewise what is ridiculous to you may be rational to someone else and more importantly integral to their happiness. If what they believe causes you unhappiness I might suggest the problem isn't with them.

Edited: OTWO, my faith in you is restored. Whatever that means.....

• Viviane
    Viviane

Adamah...

You've proven beyond a reasonable doubt that not only do you do not understand the basic fallacies used in contemporary logic, but you also didn't pay attention in your Junior High School literature class (never-mind bothering to take a course in Latin!) to know what 'tu' means in Latin, eg when Julius Caesar asked the question, 'Et TU, Brutus?" after someone who he thought was his friend had betrayed him and stabbed him, along with all the other Senators?

'Tu' in Latin means, 'too'.

('Et' means 'you', FWIW)

You have it backwards...

From http://www.latin-dictionary.net

et
    conjunction
    Definitions:
    (et ... et = both ... and)
    also, even
    and, and even

tu, tui
    noun