Fallacies about Faith

by tec 340 Replies latest jw friends

• myelaine
    myelaine

dear Band on the Run...

I think we can all see that you have exhausted all patience with Tammy. Please consider taking a break from responding to her posts. You are making no effort to distance yourself from the situation and your emotions are esclating when you need to practice self control. I hope you agree with me :)

love michelle

• Hummingbird001
    Hummingbird001

Tec, it's obvious Band on the run has some issues. Could you not just ignore her? Or perhaps cut her some slack because of them, tolerate it? Show Christian love?

Or is Jesus telling you that you must "return evil for evil" and that you should not "turn the other cheek" in this instance? I ask this because you are always saying it is Jesus that tells you what to post.

Because if this is how your voice is telling you to respond to someone who obviously is in some kind of pain...I would question whether that voice you hear is Jesus or your own.

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

I am an atheist who harbors neither of those fallacies, Tammy. Never have. If your faith brings you a measure of peace and contentment in your life and in the process you cause only good to be done to others I declare yours a successful life. Atheists who want to burst theist bubbles are just plain cruel.

• zound
    zound

I am an atheist who harbors neither of those fallacies, Tammy. Never have. If your faith brings you a measure of peace and contentment in your life and in the process you cause only good to be done to others I declare yours a successful life. Atheists who want to burst theist bubbles are just plain cruel.

I have to take issue with this.

If we never heard about tammy's nonsense and she kept it to herself then it wouldn't be a problem. Encouraging non-information that flies in the face of facts is not 'doing good to others'. Atheists who 'want to burst theist bubbles' are not being cruel - refuting stupid, delusional, arrogant, and dishonest assertions like these are calling out blatent and dangerous BS that children and people with little critical thinking ability may fall for.

If anyone who stands up for reason just decided not to 'burst anyones buble' anymore then all apostate JW websites for example would go offline - and the watchtower society would have a free range on information control. If no one offered counter arguments to the trash that comes out of many theists mouths (or keyboards) then before long mini online cults would be setting up shop for the long haul.

Ridiculous ideas should be ridiculed.

Again I'll repeat - if tammy is happy to keep her delusions to herself and other voice hearers then if it brings her peace - go for it. When she spreads the nonsense then be prepared to be called out on her BS. And the thing with Christians is that spreading the nonsense is their priority. It's a disease that must infect others to survive.

Reason and education is the cure.

• 2+2=5
    2+2=5

All this "My lord spoke to me" BS is utterly ridiculous and not a single person with even a shred of common sense, could possibly consider any part of these delusional rantings are anything other than pure fiction.

I cannot over emphasize how ludicrous this garbage sounds to the overwhelming majority of people. Arrogant, delusional, condescending don't even come close to describing these stupid posts about hearing the voice of Christ.

That is all I will say on the subject.

Peace be with you

a slave of common sense

2+2=5

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

Please take issue all you want, zound. It's a free world. Or website. Whatever. Morality is about happiness and suffering of sentient beings. Nothing more. Your use of the words stupid, delusional, arrogant, and dishonest are at best judgemental, at worst prejudicial. Those who say ridiculous ideas need to be ridiculed are morons. 2014 would appear to the perspective of someone in 1914 as unfathomable. The idea of a flat picture on the wall moving like it was real? Ridiculous. Satellites orbiting the earth? Absurd. Tammy has every right to voice her thoughts. You have every right to ignore them. Tune out. You are otherwise not so much an atheist as an anti-religionist. Big difference. Zealotry takes many forms.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

If your faith brings you a measure of peace and contentment in your life and

in the process you cause only good to be done to others I declare yours a successful life.....Nickolas

I`m agnostic Nic,No Faith at all..

I`d have to agree..

............................... photo mutley-ani1.gif ...OUTLAW

• zound
    zound

Just like to point out that you followed a sentence saying my use of the words XYZ is judgement or prejudicial - by a sentence saying I am a moron.

You're right - maybe in one hundred years tammy's voice hearing will be widespread and the norm and people looking back at dissenters like me would think how shortsighted and judgemental they are. What a wonderful world that would be :)

• Hummingbird001
    Hummingbird001

"and in the process you cause only good to be done to others....."

Well, THAT is the key, is it not? If someone is preaching something that hurts others, then something needs to be said, would you not agree Nicolaus? I think that's what zound is saying. I'm trying to help someone right now who has been hurt by a cult's teaching about cremation/baby teeth. She can only afford cremation and has made all the arrangements for that. Then this cult told her she can't get resurrected if she's cremated unless she has a tooth. Now she thinks she has to go to a dentist and get a perfectly good tooth extracted!

Now I know she's not being forced to drink poisoned koolaid, but harmful, nonetheless, IMO.

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

No, zound, the way things are going in a hundred years Christian faith for all but a few happy holdouts will have gone the way of belief in Thor or Woden or Huitzilopochtli or the 2600 other gods our species has invented and worshipped. Tammy, you and I will have ceased to exist and from our present perspectives this conversation will be irrelevant. All that should matter to us is what's happening now, how well we live our lives and treat others in the process. I am not a believer but nevertheless love several people who are. Their happiness is more important to me than me being right, as much as I am convinced I am right. You justly take offense to the moron label yet assign offensive labels to someone who thinks differently from you. Ignorance is better defeated with patience and evidence than with ridicule but maybe it's just better leaving things alone. If someone is happier with what they believe than what you perceive to be reality let them have it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit