Do as we say, not as we do

by Ultimate Axiom 13 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Ultimate Axiom
    Ultimate Axiom

I like to collect admirable quotes from Watchtower publications that I can then use back on JWs to demonstrate their double standards. For example, this appeared in the Awake!, August 22, 1984, page 28;

“The Catholic Church occupies a very significant position in the world and claims to be the way of salvation for hundreds of millions of people. Any organisation that assumes that position should be willing to submit to scrutiny and criticism.”

The is a perfectly reasonable statement to make, and it would be equally reasonable if you replace the words “Catholic Church” with “Watchtower Society” and delete the words “hundreds of”.

Recently I came across an article (I think in a Watchtower) that explained how statements that can be technically correct, if designed to deliberately give a false impression, (i.e. half-truths) are no different to lies. I thought I had safely saved it, but I cannot for the life of me find it now. I seem to remember it was a fairly recent magazine, but searches on all key words in the Watchtower library have failed to find it.

Does this ring a bell with anyone, and if so, can you provide the reference?

• msconcerned
    msconcerned

Is this what you are looking for?

W03 7/15 pp. 21-23

Look Out for “the Trickery of Men”

The apostle Paul also warned against “the trickery of men.” (Ephesians 4:14) He encountered “deceitful workers” who pretended to present the truth but who actually distorted it. (2 Corinthians 11:12-15) To attain their objectives, such men may resort to a selective use of evidence, emotionally loaded language, misleading half -truths, devious innuendo, and even outright lies.

Propagandists often use a word like “sect” to stigmatize others. In a recommendation to the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe, a suggestion was made that authorities who investigate new religious groups “would be well advised to forgo using this term.” Why? It was felt that the word “cult” had an excessively negative connotation. In a similar way, Greek intellectuals wrongly charged that the apostle Paul was a “chatterer,” or “seed picker.” This was to imply that he was nothing more than an idle babbler, someone who picked up and repeated only scraps of knowledge. Actually, Paul “was declaring the good news of Jesus and the resurrection.”—Acts 17:18; footnote.

Do the techniques of propagandists work? Yes. They have been a major factor in creating ethnic and religious hatreds by distorting people’s perceptions of other nations or religions. Many have used them to marginalize unpopular minorities. Adolf Hitler used such methods effectively when he portrayed the Jews and others as “degenerate,” “evil,” and a “threat” to the State. Never allow this kind of trickery to poison your thinking.—Acts 28:19-22.

• Ultimate Axiom
    Ultimate Axiom

That's a very useful quote msconcerned, thank you. It's not the one I have in mind though. That one included an example of a man who answers a question from his wife, which is technically accurate, but gives the wrong impression, thus he is lying, without actually saying anythng untrue.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Guess the WTS can speak with authority on that issue!

They are masters at it.

Doc

• Ultimate Axiom
    Ultimate Axiom

Indeed they are Doc, which is why I want to find this quote. When they talk about their history they do exactly what this article says you shouldn't do. I found this one, "When a Christian phrases things in such a way that he inwardly knows is leading brothers to a wrong conclusion, to believe something that is really not true, not accurate, how do you think God feels?” (Live With Jehovah’s Day in Mind, 2006, pages 114), but the one I have in mind is more judgemental of those doing it.

• The Searcher
    The Searcher

Thanks for the Awake '84 reference UA - I really loooooooooooove Favorites like this on my WT CD ROM!!

Such quotes must cause the demise of the WT CD ROM!

• The Searcher
    The Searcher

Probably not this one, so I'll keep searching!

*** w87 9/15 pp. 17-18 par. 7 Keep Submitting to “the Spirit That Is Life-Giving” ***

We also need to be careful that we always tell the truth. Being devious or deliberately misleading others in order to avoid responsibility really amounts to lying. So be sure to heed Paul’s counsel: “Now that you have put away falsehood, speak truth each one of you with his neighbor, because we are members belonging to one another.”—Ephesians 4:25; Proverbs 3:32.

• The Searcher
    The Searcher

Perhaps this one???????

w02 5/1 p. 16 pars. 10-11 Jehovah Hates the Course of Treachery

For example, can our family members really trust what we say? Can our spiritual brothers and sisters in the congregation do the same? It would be easy to develop the habit of couching one’s words in terms that are technically accurate but misleading. Or one might exaggerate or hide details in a business matter. Would Jehovah not see that? And if we followed such practices, would he accept sacrifices of praise from our lips?

11 As to those who have the privilege of teaching God’s Word in the congregations today, Malachi 2:7 should serve as a caution. It says that their lips "should keep knowledge, and the law is what people should seek" from their mouths. Heavy responsibility comes upon such teachers, for James 3:1 indicates that they "shall receive heavier judgment."

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

Keep looking and sharing may use this ammo if i decide to go to my JC meeting.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

The 2/1/2007 was a particularly offensive, and eye-opening series of articles on truth and lying. It was worded in such a deceptive way to imply that lies are bad, but untruths can be good.

The pages were filled with barf-worthy statements. In this old thread, several of us had it out with a couple of apologists...

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/friends/180570/4/Lurkers-and-Jehovahs-Witnesses-The-WT-Lied-to-you-about-Generation#.Up6a2eIljcw

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit