Do as we say, not as we do

by Ultimate Axiom 13 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Also in "Keep Yourself in God's Love" Chap. 14, para. 9:

"9 Such teaching places an important obligation on parents. The apostle Paul asked: “Do you, however, the one teaching someone else, not teach yourself? You, the one preaching ‘Do not steal,’ do you steal?” (Romans 2:21) Some parents confuse their children by teaching about honesty while acting dishonestly themselves. They may justify petty theft and deceptive words with such excuses as “Oh, they expect people to take these things” or “That was just a little white lie, a fib.” In reality, stealing is stealing, regardless of the value of the item stolen, and lying is lying , regardless of the subject matter or the scope of the untruth.* (Luke 16:10) Children are quick to detect hypocrisy and may be seriously damaged by it. (Ephesians 6:4) However, when they learn honesty from their parents’ examples, they may well grow up to glorify Jehovah in this dishonest world.—Proverbs 22:6."

So, "lying is lying," except when it's Watchtower that's teaching the lying untruths.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

marked

• Ultimate Axiom
    Ultimate Axiom

Thank you Searcher, that 01 quote is brilliant. It's not quite how I remember the one I'm after, but it's close enough to make no difference.

And while we're on the subject, "Christians do not twist or misrepresent the facts so as to mislead others." (The Watchtower, June 15, 2009, page 17), which is absolutely correct- "CHRISTIANS" do not!

Billy - I did come across that article in my search, and while I agree that not all untruths are lies (unless you regard genuine mistakes as lies), it did not occur to me the time - of course, the WT never lies - it just slips in an "untruth" now and again. So we have "old truth", "new truth", "present truth", and now we have "untruth" - what a brilliant euphasism for a lie.

• Emery
    Emery

marked

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit