Finally getting a shepherding call... or so I thought

by Zoos 27 Replies latest jw friends

• Zoos
    Zoos

A few weeks ago I got a visit from a sister from the old congregation. She was our uber pioneer, fearless, regular and often accompanied by her husband, a ministerial servant. She didn’t know I lived here so it was a brief visit after she found out I had disassociated myself.

I got a knock at the door a few minutes ago and it was her husband this time. I thought, “Ah! I’m finally getting a shepherding call… after four years.”

Boy was I wrong.

I opened the door and he took my hand immediately with a nervous smile on his face. “[Zoos], I understand you are no longer in the fellowship. I’m leaving too. Can we talk?”

In a million years I would have never guessed that to be his opening words.

We spoke at length about why he was fed up with the organization… “organization”, “Organization”, “ORGANIZATION!”,… “that’s all they ever talk about anymore.”

I sat there and focused on being a good listener. He unloaded on me and was mostly worried about losing his very zealous wife. “I’m 70 years old and I’m starting to have health problems.” The man is terrified.

I confirmed his suspicions about the organization without bombarding him with a bunch of information. I assured him that the number of new people hitting the various ex-JW support systems, discussion forums is snowballing. He confirmed that the number of people leaving has been a prominent topic of discussion at BOE and MS meetings. He expressed his desire to remain a Christian so I gave him the addresses for jwstruggle, jwfacts, freeminds along with my contact information and an assurance that my door is open to him anytime.

My heart was breaking for the old fella. I hope he plugs in to the support system.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

Thats freakin awesome!!!!!!

• carla
    carla

Happy to hear he is trying to get out. As for the wife, I would think as a long time jw she would have had it ingrained in her head that he is still the head of the house and he could use that on her if necessary?

• stillin
    stillin

Anytime somebody like that wants to make a return visit on me they are welcome to come! It sounds like you handled him in a kind manner.

• RayPublisher
    RayPublisher

Bravo! I hope he does the research and really figures out why the WT is whacked.

Good for you and thanks for sharing another success story here.

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

Wow... ZA!!!

I was bracing myself... for the bad news.

This is fantastic news!!! and 3 (three) gold stars!

LoisLane

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

I'm so happy for him that he has you for support. That's great!

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Hey, great story.

• tornapart
    tornapart

I actually feel very sorry for him. It's going to be a long hard struggle, especially at his age. You did really well to not bombard him with loads of stuff Zoos. Let's hope he tries to find some more kind support and help.

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

I am happy he is opening his eyes ,but my goodness such a big change at 70 is going to be difficult .

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit