Why do we have Assemblies?

by Rattigan350 24 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Rattigan350
    Rattigan350

Why do we have Assemblies? was the topic of the book/brochure study last week.

The answer not presented is that they are the organization's Black Friday.

Stores do Black Friday as a loss leader to get people into the stores to spend money on more pricey stuff, not discounted.

Assemblies are put on to give away books and other literature and have dramas to get people in to donate and contribute more than normally done.

Yes, religion is a business. Imagine if Trump were a religion.

• Ding
    Ding

Indoctrination and hype up sessions...

• blondie
    blondie

Because the Israelites had 3 yearly festivals and the WTS thinks that jws are Israelites not Christians.

• Simon
    Simon

Yes, I think it's hype. You can see it now played out in other arenas like Apples WDC where the iSheeple work themselves into a frenzy over the latest release almost exactly like it's a religious experience.

Years ago when assemblies were "bigger" and went on for longer they were the prime method of communication and keeping contact / control as well as feeding the faithful a new dose of belief, getting them excited about something (a new revalation or publication) and generally making them feel special.

It's all about the hype.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

Well, you can't very well allow people to spend their free time doing selfish pursuits like vacations and hobbies. And if they don't waste spend their money on travel and lodging for the conventions, they might be tempted to spend it on themselves, and we can't have that. Besides, they need the convention talks to be properly guilted into giving more money to the Governing Body Pension fund worldwide work and wasting spending more time in the ministry.

• Syme
    Syme

You mentioned the Book study meeting: Here an interesting point. The article said that doing assemblies 3 times/year is following Israel's example, who gathered 3 times/year. Um... no! 3 times/year was the obligation for men only. The whole families gathered ONLY ONCE IN 7 YEARS. But that wouldn't fit well in the article, would it?.....

Now, one of the reasons for so many assemblies is cohesion, and keeping the members in line. In addition to the ''hype'' effect some of you mentioned, the result is the production of a "bonding glue" that makes the members stick again to the organization, in case they had been starting to fade.

That is a reason as regards to the leaderhip. As regards to the plain members, one *reeealy* good reason that jws look forward to assemblies & conventions is ...well... mating. Yup, many jw youths can't wait for the next assembly, even go to different ones, so they can do some "eyewash", flirt, or even find a potential mate, something they don't have a lot of opportunities for otherwise.

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

Blondie;

You hit it exactly on the head. JW's are compared more to the nation of Israel than to the Christian congregation in WTBTS literature. No where in the NT do we read of large 'assemblies' nor 'conventions' of Christians. Christian meeting were held in privat homes, not churches nor kingdom halls. Conventions are time wasters and expensive. To think that I used to take my family vacation and go to a 'cornvention'. Sad indeed!

eyeuse2badub

• Rattigan350
    Rattigan350

"Yup, many jw youths can't wait for the next assembly, even go to different ones, so they can do some "eyewash", flirt, or even find a potential mate, something they don't have a lot of opportunities for otherwise."

Which is ironic that they do not tailor the assemblies for that, but discourage that. Shortened intermissions, discouraging coupling up and chatting, etc.

It is easier to go online and search. They are wasting prime time to search, and a good reason to go that keeps youth focus and looking forward to it.

• Laika
    Laika

I hate how every assembly is the best assembly ever.

• Stand for Pure Worship
    Stand for Pure Worship

I don't think the motives are entirely sinister though. Yes, to whip up donations and emotional fervor are part of the plan, and like Blondie mentioned, follwing the example of the Israelites plays a role too. I think it should be mentioned though, that plenty of folks really do love these assemblies and conventions. Some of the folks that grew up experiencing these events, now play an active role organizing and participating in the programs. People with positions in the organization aren't living like kings. I'll take my job a lifestyle for the most part over a GB member's lifestyle anyday. It reminds me of what Slimboyfat said some time ago that you shouldn't underestimate how much the leadership actually believes in what they dispense. That said, not only do they, that being the leadership, likely view these assemblies as something special, but they realize at the same time so do many JWs. I mean, yeah sure the emotional high does seem to wear off not too long after the trip home from the last day, but at least they temporarily had something to feel special about. For the ultra zealous, the memories will never fade. You should see some of the notebooks my grandmother had when we cleaned out her place. Notes going back to the eighties.

Besides, and likely to your point Rattigan, what else do JWs have throughout the year in regards to momentous events? Birthdays? Holiday season? Nope and ditto. But they do have the District Convention. Don't act like you didn't get all excited in January when the letter was read at the Service Meeting informing the congregation of where they were designated to attend. Every year we hope it's not gonna be at this city, or that city. Then the mini pandemonium of sisters trying to get the hotel list off of the Service Overseer and book reservations before Sis.Connected overbooks screwing over the next family. Our circuit assembly is soon and I overhear chatter about new shoes and dresses. Suits going into the cleaners, seeing such and so, meeting the new DO. Some of these folks love it, and the leadership probably feels like they're doing the sheep a favor. So again, it aint all about the money or keeping em in line.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit