Why do we have Assemblies?

by Rattigan350 24 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Rattigan350
    Rattigan350

SFPW said "Don't act like you didn't get all excited in January when the letter was read at the Service Meeting informing the congregation of where they were designated to attend"

That was always the most stressful time; trying to get the hotels before others. Then there were the congregations that rescheduled

Thursday meeting for Monday to get the list early. When I was single, I preferred to drive than stay in a hotel, just to save 2 hours.

"Our circuit assembly is soon"

Ours is next month and I am scheduled to work. I would rather have the OT. It is something real.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

They are designed to waste time and get psychic energy in a larger group. You get the keynote address, which ties in the whole organization's psychic energy into their own damnation. They also offer the chance to guilt people into quitting their jobs so they can pious-sneer. They also reinforce how bad fornication is (and the taboos about being around the opposite sex), even if you do look around the auditorium. Materialism is bashed. Apostates are bashed. And of course, no a$$embly is complete without non-stop bashing of Satan.

Or, their mandatory deficit during the final session which they know the witlesses will make up.

• jamclark
    jamclark

As Blondie posted, it seems to be a substitution for the 7 appointed times in the Scriptures. Granted, during the early years there may have been a connection (as in they were 5 days or longer, possibly a few at the same time as Feast of Tabernacles).

More so, today, to hype of releasing new literature (or the recent "Silver Sword"/"sister proof" RNWT). Also hype time toward baptisms, meeting others, and getting all "dignified" dressed with dry cleaned clothes.

Still it comes down to $$, as in a goal of contributions > true cost of the assembly. And good PR for bringing business to the city.

• flipper
    flipper

" Why do we have Assemblies ? " Cult indoctrination. Period mark, exclamation point. Peace out Mr. Flipper

• flipper
    flipper

Oh a big P.S. also - The gathering up of donated money from JW's and other attendeees via ATM machines, contribution boxes and induced guilt through requests from the platform. Another reason for assemblies

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit