Why do we have Assemblies?

by Rattigan350 24 Replies latest watchtower bible

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

So again, it aint all about the money or keeping em in line.

It`s also about..

New shoes and dresses. Suits going into the cleaners, seeing such and so, meeting the new DO.

Thats mighty exciting!..

,,,"I do Believe I`m getting the Vapours!"

.................................................................... photo mutley-ani1.gif ...OUTLAW

• leaving_quietly
    leaving_quietly

SFPW, I'm actually pleasantly surprised at your response. It's well-reasoned, and not entirely one-sided. Kudos to you!

That said, I'd venture to say that if District Conventions and other assemblies were suddenly done away with, there would be a collective sigh of relieve among the majority of the ~8 million JWs. However, we all know that's not going to happen any time soon. It seems to be going in the complete opposite direction. Not only do we have the Special Assembly Day, the Circuit Assembly and the District Convention, we now have the Annual Meeting, which, for the first time, was broadcast to ~25% of JWs worldwide.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

JW Assembly = Sales pitch for literature purchasing and distribution, along with training on how to circulate

the WTS. literature.

When you think about it, this public style of gathering people to hear all the sales contrived doctrines the WTS produces

started right back with C T Russell, one hundred years ago. He place an advert in the local newspaper of when and where he was to give a

public talk and right after his speech he noted to the attending audience that his books and magazines were

available to purchase at a designated area .

• mercedes_29
    mercedes_29

It's a shameless money grab and reprogramming session.

• Captain Obvious
    Captain Obvious

Almost every cult has retreats for longer indoctrination sessions.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

These planned events bolster a bit of enthusiasm and propagate hype to the devoted members .

" See there are a lot of us "

It also perceived as a social event as well, the JDubbers usually go out and buy new cloths

and get spiffed up because of it.

Never mind the contrived fear mongering indoctrination to serve and obey the leaders of the Watchtower Corporation.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Conventions and assemblies are just motivational, corporate team-building sessions. That's it. Plus the make some cash on the spot. The GB have figured out a great way to motivate through fear and guilt. They use a carrot and a stick on the sheeple, and it works. The financial report was read at my CA. Now, can someone explai how this works.

I am estimating these figures for simplicity

Convention expenses = $9000.00 [ not including money for the branch???? WTH?!?!?]

Donations = $8000.00

Deficit = $1000.00 [ just for expenses, that does not include extra funds for the Branch to use??]

How the H@#ll does that work?!?! We want more money than we need?? Oh yeah, we just made 1 Billion dollars. Then they joked about how the Elders decided to spend our money.

DD

• steve2
    steve2

Top Ten Reasons Why We Have Conventions:

1. Fashion parades: come on admit it: a handful of sisters really knew how to dress well and loved to parade themselves in public);

2. Meat market: Who does not scan their bored eyes over the dreary horizon and excitedly 'happen upon' delectable eye candy?

3. Widen your local genetic pool: crucial for born-ins whose "JW-heritage" goes back three-plus generations

4. Help generate revenue for hotels and motels who "love" the conventions $$$$$$$$ : Ya'll come back now, y'hear. We love you guys!

5. Swap the hum-drum of weekly meetings for the hum-drum of conventions; don't nit-pick: There is a difference.

6. Sweat in the hot sun/shiver in the cold to prove to everyone your loyalty: "hey look at me putting up with hardship and not complaining"

7. Give non-JW colleagues (false)impression you have an exciting life (i.e., travel out of town to another city)

8. Act in an unscriptural way away from home base so less likely to confess it (what the local elders don't know won't hurt them)

9. Feel the neck muscles relax when you're back home afterwards where you don't have to crane the neck so much to catch the eye-candy

10. Feigning migraines so you can spend a day shopping in assorted shopping malls with appropriate disguise including sunglasses; notice to self: Make sure you remove name badge

• quellycatface
    quellycatface

I used to dread assemblies. Because I have depression, it was a real torture. The expense now, is horrendous. Lots of people stay at hotels and go out to eat every night. Buy new clothes etc.... It always made me depressed and guilty as it did'nt make me feel "so spiritually upbuilt" I wanted to shout it from the rooftops. I last went to an assembly (Twickers), for Sunday only in 2006 and that was one day too much.

I feel sorry for the Mum's who have to look after bored children (as I did), while Dad is an attendant and schmoozing with the other bro's.

Utter guff.

• Dutchdelight
    Dutchdelight

As I'm visiting meetings, I felt disturbed by the fact that the same study article in the MoreInfo Box publishers are referred to as 'your Bibleteacher'. It immediately reminded me of Matthew 23:7,8 They... like to be called Rabbi by men. But you, do not you be called Rabbi, for one is your Teacher, and all of you are brothers

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit