Hi! Long time lurker finally signing up!

by LosingMyReligion 35 Replies latest jw friends

• LosingMyReligion
    LosingMyReligion

Ok, so the time has finally come to register an account on this site. Not that I think I have much to contribute to the discussions here, but more out of a desire to show that yet another person has learned TTATT. I am a fader, not discussing TTATT with anyone as I know the inevitable outcome it would have. I do however hope to gradually plant small seeds in my best friend to make him wake up and see the organisation for what it really is - an organisation.

My first introduction to apostates I can't honestly recall. You see, in the past I have used this site to get a hold of the kingdom ministry whenever I have been inactive and not been able to get it from my congregation. I was at that time not impressed by what i read here though, to me the image of apostates as bitter people was reaffirmed by what I saw here so I didn't pay any attention to any of the material readily available here. The turning point for me was the new definition of "generations". To me that was the moment I just went "what the ####?" inside, and then it all started crumbling down. How could God's spirit be guiding these men if they had to change "the truth" all the time? Together with the lack of humbleness towards all the other failed "truths" in the past I couldn't stop asking myself how this could be the organisation supposedly ledby God himself, a God that is incapable of errors? I kept having doubts for a good while continuing with attending meetings, doing volunteer work in kh maintenance, at assemblies etc. like a good little slave is supposed to. Eventually my nagging doubts led me to start my own studies and google opened a world to me that I could never have imagined was there. I have gone from having doubts about certain things about the religion, to being sure it's all bullcrap.

Today I am officially an inactive "witness", but personally I consider myself agnostic with no faith in the bible. I am open to the idea that maybe evolution is more then a theory, but I have never done any research on it beyond pondering the subject in my own mind and finding it hard to wrap my head around it. The only reason I consider myself agnostic and not atheist is that - perhaps because of indoctination since childhood - I feel that the complexity and the order of everything in the universe is a sign of a plan, or order if you like. However I do not believe that whoever or whatever is behind the universe has written a book and is hiding in the sky telling a select few people what he wants from us. If there is a God it is clear he really don't give a crap about us and what we do.

Losing my religion has been an emotional rollercoaster that I have not yet completed. Giving up the idea of paradise, ressurection and a God to fix all our problems was hard. But on the other hand, giving up on slaving for imperfect(that's a term i have to get out of my system) men running an imperfect organisation, not wasting my life bothering people at their homes to try to give them something they don't want and to not feel constantly guilty for not doing enough, not being good enough is liberating beyond expression.

I no longer have to put on my fake seller persona and go out to push magazines on people, I don't have to pretend the memorial talk was "so nice" when it was horrible, I don't have to defend the disgusting shunning policy, I don't have to risk my life refusing blood and I no longer have to worry about demons and evil "worldly people" who's only mission in life is to refuse me a life in paradise.

I am free, no religion shall ever entrap me again.

• truthseeker100
    truthseeker100
    It;s a nice feeling being free isn't it? Its kind of scary at the same time at first. Welcome
  • mikeypants
    mikeypants

Welcome to the site. I joined a few months ago and am currently inactive as well, wife still is a dubya though. I understand what you said about this site, at first glance ( and depending on the chance of the post) one could mistake this place as a crazed apostate site. While that definitely does exist in some postings, I find the vast majority of items pose some real "food for thought", as the dubyas love to say.

Anyway, just wanted to say welcome and I look forward to perhaps hearing of some of your experiences.

• Splash
    Splash

Welcome to the board LMR, I hope we hear more from you in the various discussions.

The journey out of the JW's is a tough one and a long one, but once you see through all of the lies, it's a journey you have to take.

Splash

• gda
    gda

Welcome!! Your going to be Ok.

I just sent my last letter out to my older brother of my defection. We are 3rd gen. He is still an active elder as well as another brother. I'll miss them,.... I only saw them once every few years so it's not going to be as hard as I've read with some.

I'm coming up to 60 years and I'd like my remaining years to be truly free.

I hope we read from you more of your story soon 

• millie210
    millie210

Welcome LosingMyReligion,

Really good post on how you got from "there" to "where" you are now,

I appreciate in the last paragraph you pointing out all the things we have gained as a result of walking away. 

A great reminder for me!

Look forward to your future posts.

• LosingMyReligion
    LosingMyReligion
    Thanks guys! Yes, mikeypants, after reading a bit you realise that most people here are just normal people with different talents and qualities, just like anywhere else. :)
  • joe134cd
    joe134cd
    Your comment reminded me of a you tube clip I saw with regards to ex-mormons. One of the protesters had on his sign "google will set you free".  How true those comments are. 
  • Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Welcome LMR!

I was at that time not impressed by what i read here though, to me the image of apostates as bitter people was reaffirmed by what I saw here so I didn't pay any attention to any of the material readily available here.

It's hard not to be bitter once we learn TTATT. As a JW, I learned how to be bitter and hostile towards other religions, politics, business, the entire real world. As an exJW that bitterness has been sharpened and focused upon Watchtower Corp.

...hope to gradually plant small seeds in my best friend to make him wake up and see...

In case you're interested in my observations:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/253592/exjw-psychology-101-keeping-your-cool-while-fading?page=1

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/254990/exjw-psychology-102-how-ask-question-when-questions-arent-allowed?page=1

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

Welcome, glad you found us. 

I find it amusing that believing JWs would have to come here to get the KM. It shows that the organization really doesn't care about those struggling and missing a few meetings for whatever reason. I remember trying to get one  when I was missing meetings, it was impossible, either they didn't have any or they said I couldn't get one unless I was publishing. How was I supposed to go out without knowing what I was supposed to be placing? It was a catch 22. Total lack of love or consideration for the marginal witnesses. 

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit